Tuesday, September 3, 2024

A word

I'm here to say I'm so tired of the features I'm seeing all over, about old people climbing mountains, swimming oceans and centenarians jumping out of planes, as if this is something great to aspire to.

I suspect a lot of the features are generated one way or another by the travel and sports equipment people. I reserve the right to get annoyed when they quote statistics then ignore them in their own conclusions. 

I just read one piece which said  retirees are keenly traveling to make up for over working at desk jobs. Then says its about 40% of them. The majority who are not running about supporting the travel lobby? Crickets. 

My current favorite is the seniors keenly looking for partners. All those seniors. Fewer than 20%. But that's the important group, I guess. Then the happily single daringly planning on solo travel (always the travel), are about 10% of their cohort. About the 90% ruining the narrative by liking home? Dream on. These are conclusions they're drawing from their own numbers. Maybe they expect people won't notice.

Anyway, ranting and media literacy aside, it's really dull reading about happy octos who love being home and sitting out reading and watching butterflies, walking the neighborhood, greeting everyone as their paths cross, sharing baked treats with friends, making things by hand, and writing snarky blog posts. They're not really feature fodder. 

So don't expect relief from the pictures of silver haired privileged white het people water skiing, laughing happily, any time soon!  

I can't help wondering if the ancient folk jumping out of airplanes have led a dismal existence up to now and will do anything for a thrill. Or if they're secretly hoping the parachute won't open.  I always wondered about Barbara Bush's motives,  enthusiastically applauding Bush the First as he jumped out on every birthday..

Cynical me. I'm guessing the yarn and book lobbies are less powerful. Also sitting reading and knitting isn't very dynamic in pictures.  And laughing at yourself is pretty much unknown to feature writers, though it's one of the pleasures of any age.

Here's the nondynamic activity I was involved in last evening while I listened to a Mrs Jefferson mystery 

And there was spurtzleuring up yarn for future nondynamic purposes 


I did take a nondynamic walk and caught scenes of early Autumn, complete with breeze ruffling the pond. Two turtles sunning themselves on the far side, so no ducks.



This garlic chive clump, which I tasted the other day and yes, tastes of garlic, is a pollinator magnet. Half a dozen varying insects and butterflies busy at work.



And, home again on Labor Day there was a lot of tracking down and listening to pro Labor songs, well, anthems, Look for the Union Label, the ILGWU Anthem, Paul Robeson singing Joe Hill to Welsh miners at work, and at a concert in Edinburgh for Scottish miners, packing the Usher Hall. And If I Had a Hammer. 

Observed with respect by this one-time Union member, daughter and mother of Union members, my dad in the Steelworkers,  I in AFSCME, Handsome Son in Amalgamated Meatcutters.

Happy day everyone, do your thing, honor all year the workers feeding us and keeping us safe.  And remember the writers of the features I featured are only trying to make a living, not to make sense.


Billie the Pup says I'm here for Boud! Fight me!




38 comments:

  1. Great post and a great rant! It made me laugh, especially Barbara Bush's motives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank for the the hearty laugh to start my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is refreshing to read. I personally have no aspirations to "travel travel travel" or jump out of airplanes, take up online dating, etc. as I ease into retirement.
    "...love being home and sitting out reading and watching butterflies, walking the neighborhood, greeting everyone as their paths cross, sharing baked treats with friends, making things by hand, and writing snarky blog posts." Role model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great post! I, too, am tired of all those “look what old people can do” ads and stories. Anyone can jump out of a plane (once). How many people can say they know how to use a spurtzleur?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are different kinds of adventures, true! I bet those old people jumping out of airplanes would think it's some new racket sport!

      Delete
  5. I want to travel and see other parts of this beautiful planet if only I didn't have to travel to do it. I should go visit my brother next year up in the PNW since he's the one that always comes to visit here or did when our sister was still alive. I really should but then I'd have to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they would get around to that magic transportation where you step into a box then out and you're there.

      Delete
  6. I'm in unison with you. The other thing that annoys me is the happy, smiling people, usually with wine glass in hand, on the seemingly endless brochures that come through the letter box. They are just not real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones on those endless river cruises?

      Delete
    2. Those, too. It was the 'senior living' brochures I was thinking about. I think the models must be in their fifties.

      Delete
  7. There's a meme and I wish I could remember it entirely but it's about seeing these stupid articles about older people traveling and having all these great adventures and doing all these amazing physical things while I'm just happy every day that I manage to get my panties on without falling over.
    Now I tell you what DOES make me feel old and feeble and that's a friend of mine who is actually a little older than I am who had the guts to move to Mexico after learning the language, leaving her husband behind in Atlanta although they are still married, still love each other, get together often and do indeed travel all over the world.
    But hey! Every day I'm getting these underpants on and not falling over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another interesting discussion over seniors Boud. I remember being worried about the so-called 'experts' insisting that you need to have half a million dollars in savings before you dare even considering retirement. We have always pretty much lived paycheque to paycheque and there's never been much in savings. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that we're doing quite nicely thank you and we certainly don't have half a million dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The experts are probably talking to people earning and spending high six figures.

      Delete
  9. Oh you just wait! Once a celebrity goes public with loving to stay home to feed birds, watch butterflies and ask how to get rid of slugs, there will be articles all over the place with celebrities doing the me, me, I do that too!
    What puzzles me is how all those traveling seniors have the money to spend on big vacations. The percentages being low explains a lot. I'm guessing if health care wasn't so expensive in America, the more elderly folks could afford a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a pretty good rant on a topic I had never thought about or even been aware of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're maybe not the target of the endless brochures. Lucky you.

      Delete
  11. I think we all have to do what we want to do and not follow the crowd. I am not a traveler but enjoy nights away. I love to walk and hike with my friend. why jump out of a perfectly good plane. Loneliness is rampart I feel bad for the lonely as there are so many people walking around lonely all they have to do reach out.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with AC - fairly oblivious to those ads and articles. I guess we're flying below the radar with our simple life. But you and your simple life (a high compliment, as you know) seem to be bombarded - and you don't even watch TV. Always good to have Billie The Pup on your side!

    Chrtis from Boise

    PS Glad those turned out to be garlic chives. Ours are pollinator magnets too. And aren't union songs terrific?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect it's because I live in an affluent region. Mostly with high six figure incomes. Not me! More like far below the poverty line.

      Delete
  13. Those writers are trying to capture an audience that doesn’t include me either. Regular life is exciting enough when you find joy in the simple things!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Old people on daring adventures (like H.W.) have much, much more disposable income.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they absolutely have. They've had so many trips etc they're running out of ideas. Yes, next, the plane!

      Delete
  15. Rant away. It makes us feel better. I won’t be jumping out of planes or going down hill skiing any time soon. I live a boring life of crafting, gardening and looking after my family. All things that no one finds exciting
    But I don’t care I’m happy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy my active lifestyle to the fullest and I am eighty-one years old. And I am still travelling too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Paul Robeson supporting Welsh miners was a huge thing. He is much loved here. Your garlic is late. And here's to the book-reading, quiet-life-loving minority/majority?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can see from the old newsreels, the expression on their faces. He was much appreciated.

      Delete
  18. Billie the pup is very cute and you are a person after my own heart. Funny how far I've come from my youth writing features...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you'll tell us more about your writing at some point? I'd certainly like to know more.

      Delete
  19. I don't know about other people but personally enjoy my days best when I have purpose. Travelling can be mind broadening and thought provoking but I hate just 'seeing stuff'. One really needs to live in another culture for a while to even begin to understand what's below the surface... and as for all those wine glass clutching laughing silver travellers...I'm with anyone who chooses to call it fake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what people call travel is often just running about being a tourist. Maybe fun, but I'm always sorry for the people living there being seen as quaint and interesting when they're just trying to live their lives without being pictured and having their local markets invaded by coach loads of tourists!
      My theory about those brochures is that they're forty year olds in silver wigs.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.