Saturday, September 7, 2024

Art in the library gallery

Today the cleaners are here, so I'm out and about. The current exhibit at the library is amazing. Hyperrealistic portraits in acrylic on MDF and canvas. So large I'm doing wide shots.







The show's newly up, no information yet about the artist, nor book to sign. I have to find out more. Ed note: I found an old interview with him on YouTube worth visiting. Turns out he uses an airbrush, hence the smooth transitions. 

After I'd been encouraging everyone else to revisit Jane Austen, I checked my Kindle and found that my old complete works had gone away with my old Kindle. 

So I invested in this new version, despite the hideous graphic, because it includes some early work I'd never read. 

It's a crime that such treasure goes for a bargain price when modern much less worthy work costs so much more. Yes, I know living authors need the $$, or rather their publishers do, but don't get me started on the iniquities of the publishing industry.

While I was at the library I did some jigsaw puzzling, because they'd set out a what is the name again, wildebeest? No, springbok, close enough, one of my favorite puzzling sources. The pieces are sturdy enough to pick up without scrabbling (!) away, and they have varied shapes. These are important considerations. Oh, and the pictures are okay, too. 

While I was out, before the library, I thought I'd get gas, below quarter full, in my world that's disaster territory, so I went to the nearest gas station, not my usual, nice guys, why not. And their card reader wasn't working. I had no cash, so I ended up going to the further away one anyway, where the guys are terse, but all the things work.

Then all the way back to the local library, and you know the rest. All this driving and blogging and puzzling was quite a bit of activity, and I wasn't inclined to set off again doubling back over all of it, to go to the Friday further away knitting group. Resting and reading Jane Austen in my clean house is now the plan.

Also the very last of the chicken in a  lunch sandwich, dessert beautiful strawberries and yogurt. 

Meanwhile I read Lady Susan, an early Austen, new to me, and I'm on to Sense and Sensibility, the Emma Thompson movie, and the Kindle edition. 



Happy day, everything in moderation. Including moderation.



26 comments:

  1. those portraits are wonderful but the hand with the manicle coming out of the flowers reaching for the sun, wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His work is really stunning. He's a NJ artist I hadn't come across,.glad I finally did.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic paintings! I'm going to revisit Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be glad you did. I'm re-reading S and S, so good. And the movie was really well made. I'd seen it before and was impressed all over again. What a cast.

      Delete
  3. Stunning artwork. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll find more online. He's wonderful.

      Delete
  4. Love the library exhibition, enjoy your afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very nice portraits.
    I got gas yesterday too. No. Not from lunch. (Sorry.) I'm like you- there has to be more than a quarter of a tank for me to be at peace with the situation. I have a Prius and could probably drive from here to Atlanta on a quarter of a tank. We get our gas at Costco. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drive a 30mpg Honda, probably half a dozen round trips everywhere. But I worry about churning up debris from the bottom of the tank when it's very low.

      Delete
  6. The brilliance of artists stuns me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s the problem with buying things on the net. They get lost in cyber space and you have to purchase it again. I’m sure there is a way to find it but I’m not that tech savvy. I’m glad it wasn’t a huge amount to repurchase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things couldn't be transferred to the new Kindle. But, as you say, not a big outlay.

      Delete
  8. They are quite stunning works of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing them in person was a huge experience, especially since I didn't know about them before.

      Delete
  9. My car is telling me I have insufficient fuel - something I guess you are not familiar with! I will have enough to drive to the petrol station.
    My kindle purchases show on my amazon account and I can choose which device to read them on. It might be worth having a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you switch from a no longer operating Kindle, non Amazon purchases vanish. So my Gutenberg books couldn't be retrieved, including my Austen. My Amazon books all are still accessible from the deceased tablet. Gutenberg aren't bought.

      Delete
  10. Great library exhibit. I love. you as the words coming out of Martin Luther King’s mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really be blown away by it in person. It's powerful.

      Delete
  11. It’s great the way that libraries have evolved to become so much more than just a place to borrow books. I lead nature walks and give presentations regularly for the Kitchener and Waterloo Public libraries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really community centers here. Also tech hubs and meeting places, really invaluable.

      Delete
  12. That artwork at the library is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like an amazing exhibition of art. I would have thought they were photographs so I was surprised to learn how they were made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, from a distance, they look like large photographs, but close up you get astonished.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.