Sunday, September 8, 2024

Mending again

Tatter is offering a new series about visible mending

and the cooler mornings have brought out my handknitted and visibly mended warm socks. Seen from the top they don't look mended at all. They wear out underneath


So it's only fairly visible mending.

Meanwhile it's still warm enough to have tea and dessert outside, enjoying butterflies and late flowers 


Years ago I stopped using music and audiobooks while I was out walking, and I get a lot more out of it now, noticing everything now. 

Likewise I sit on the deck without music or books or knitting, just watching butterflies and bees and noticing flowers hidden under foliage. It's a restoring kind of time.

Saturday's walk around the neighborhood yielded 


and whoever this is on the newly opened autumn joy sedum 


It's a continual surprise to me as a person who lives alone, how many of my meals are interrupted.  Today I'd just dished up lunch, red potato dice, stir fried with red onions, garlic, and scallions,  feta cheese crumbled over, when my neighbor came rushing in all upset, with a little package in her hands.

She said  I'm sorry to disturb you, oh that smells so good, but I didn't know what to do with my feelings! Turns out the little package was a bird, young mourning dove, which had hurtled down from the sky, onto her patio, and expired.  

I asked her if she'd seen a hawk around. We have a lot and usually bigger birds escape them because they're harder to seize. This unlucky fellow didn't have a soft landing, and didn't make it. 

Later she texted me to say she'd now seen the hawk, a young red tail,  on her fence, the other birds having vanished.  So that was the drama that got between me and my hot lunch. It was still good when I finally got to it. She was very apologetic, but I assured her I was glad she'd come over.  

It seems the young hunter didn't realize his prey was too big, and the young prey didn't know enough to take cover when a hawk showed up. 

Never a dull moment. 

And I'm continuing reading S and S, but also binged on a 1971 BBC series production, very well done, less intense than Ang Lee, and with a great ensemble none of whom I knew. Jane is getting me through the last couple of days before the mammo do-over.


Happy day, everyone, enjoy your day, whatever surprises it brings.





35 comments:

  1. It's surprising how upsetting it is to see little creatures dead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to end up seeing every rendition of S & S there is! I've seen redtail hawks cart off pigeons so they are capable of grabbing large birds. The youngster hasn't refined it's technique yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how many versions there are of all the Austen novels. And how they mess about with the characters and dialog.
      I agree about the hawk, not very skilled yet.

      Delete
  3. Poor little bird. Nature is raw. I have my thick bedsocks as I type. I think we've skipped autumn and gone straight to winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the contrast counts. I've been wearing a jacket because it's under 80°f!

      Delete
  4. I agree entirely that one gets more from quiet thought and observation, absent from music, radio and social media. I dislike having my attention stolen by these things, unless I want it to be. They monetise your attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a matter of remembering we can do this, switch off outside stimuli.

      Delete
  5. Wool socks always seem so easily worn out!
    Your story about the baby bird reminds me of a time when children brought a hurt baby bird to our neighbor, who had been a lab biologist so they thought she would help. Her reaction: she picked it up and wrung its neck to put it out of its misery. I’ve never known what lesson the kids learned: I think they just forgot about it.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She probably recognized it couldn't come back. I don't agree with doing it in front of children who didn't have her knowledge about why this was right.

      Delete
  6. Right attitude - when outdoors enjoy and notice what it has to offer without any interruption from music , reading and handwork. I've been doing that for years and don't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a different experience from listening to unrelated material. I like it.

      Delete
  7. Hawks are beautiful and they are hungry.
    I'm glad that you've found something to distract yourself. Tomorrow is the day, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our red tails. They're territorial so the ones we're seeing are probably descended from those we watched decades ago. Yes, tomorrow morning I get the recheck, thank you for remembering. Fingers crossed, Austen in high gear.

      Delete
  8. People tend to say nature is cruel but everything has to eat. it's not cruel. and the songbirds we enjoy eat living creatures in their turn, just smaller ones that we don't see or dismiss, bugs and worms. I stopped listening to music at least a decade or two ago, rather tuning in to the world around me. nature is not silent. we do listen to music though at night in the evening sometimes, not every night and sometimes not every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's plenty to hear in nature. I'm catching more of it now, too. And nature is all about predator and prey. We eat animals, and we're prey for bigger ones. I'd be a nice midmorning snack for a tiger.

      Delete
  9. When I walk I do not use any kind of music, books, etc. First I want to hear oncoming cars (I walk on a dirt road in the woods) or if there any animals about.
    It must feel good to have people about when you live alone.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like living alone, and once in a while it's nice to see people. Sometimes the timing leaves a bit to be desired.

      Delete
  10. “Years ago I stopped using music and audiobooks while I was out walking, and I get a lot more out of it now, noticing everything now.” You are absolutely correct. It is disappointing to see so many young people with “buds” in their ears as I am out walking. Someday they will learn what we have. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to see. But if you're intent on exercising rather than observing, I see where other sounds come in

      Delete
  11. I agree with you on not using music or audiobooks while outside. There is such beauty to be seen and heard on walks. So good to always mend worn out things. They can serve another life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These socks are a lot more interesting with the visible darning. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  12. I always take in nature when we are walking. No devices interfere with what is going on around us, except the camera to document the beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much to take in once you start to see

      Delete
  13. Your poor neighbour I’m sure that was quite traumatic for her.
    Nature is beautiful but it is also can be cruel. If the hawk had eaten the bird then it’s just part of life. But to be dropped like that. Is terrible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was shocking for her. And she felt guilty about putting out feeders, in Case they brought smaller birds into harm's way.

      Delete
  14. Far easier to enjoy the outdoor without earbud distractions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I pass people with earbuds in them, who don't register I'm there greeting them!

      Delete
  15. I’ve also stopped popping in the Airpods when I go for a walk. Now I just sing in my head and take in everything I see.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When to and not to have our devices on?

    ReplyDelete
  17. My goodness, there never IS a dull moment there at Chez Boud!
    I've never understood the need to have ear buds with something blaring at you while you're out in nature, or walking down a sidewalk for that matter. But then again, I've never understood the attraction of a cellphone and the need to be 'on call' every moment of every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think maybe it's a kind of personal space issue. But when I'm out walking alone, there's plenty of space.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.