Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Curry leaves, knitting/stitching group, Textiles and Tea

 My neighbor stopped in with these curry leaves, from  her garden

Curry leaves, great deep flavor for practically any savory dish. I'll share with friends.

A few leaves have now gone to friends at the Tuesday Knitting Group.

New participant today, crocheting a scarf for an October trip to Wisconsin, she'll be ready for fall.

She also won a ribbon recently at the County Fair for a mancala board she crocheted, featuring waves and 3D ducks in the design. She's very creative, good to know her.

I did a brief demo with the spurtzleur, using a length of yarn, so a spinning friend could see the action, and try it.

Our conversation ranged over state fairs, spinning, flax, Viking ships, library work, heat waves, the DMV, kitchen renovation cooking with curry leaves, slot and tab fabric books, the art of teaching, YouTube demos, Sheep and Wool Festivals, and housing regulations.

Home again, just in time, as I pulled in, to see the first hummingbird of the year,  working on the Russian sage flowers. Too fleeting for a picture, but thrilling.

Then I sat out on the deck,  with a cup of tea, having a stare-off with a squirrel,  probably waiting for me to go away and let him collect the cantaloupe rind he left lying around on the deck

Textiles and Tea brought Caroline Hicks Sawyer, a weaver in floating warps, making massive installation art.


Here's a work in progress on the loom


earlier she used to create functional clothing








She was an electrical engineer, then in retirement developed her lifelong weaving interest into a serious art career. She uses various looms including the rigid heddle loom, and likes to move the warp relative to the heddle rather than the other way around.

Her physicist husband collaborates on some technical aspects of the work, designing bits of equipment to help float the warp threads evenly, hang installations and other ideas needing a  second opinion!

Happy day everyone! Weave the way you want, whatever anyone says.










27 comments:

  1. The only weaving I'm doing today is weaving back and forth to the bed. Flu shot has put me down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get flu shots after an exciting reaction a few years ago, but I used to get a low-key flu type reaction for 24hours. I could (sort of) function. I used to get some disbelief from people whose total reaction was a sore arm!

      Delete
  2. So fun that she found a fun new craft. Most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That beautiful jacket made by Caroline Hicks Sawyer makes me think of the northern lights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First hummingbird of the season - celebration time!

    I had to look up floating warps. 3D weaving - wow! Those installations are stunning. I cannot imagine a crocheted mancala board. Could you lobby the maker to bring it to a Tuesday gathering so you can post a photo?

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask her. She showed us pictures, but since she'd already allowed a pic of her current work, I didn't like to ask again. She's new and there's a fine line.
      Those artworks are baffling, too, how to conceptualize, create, assemble etc.

      Delete
  5. You saw a hummer! It seems to have been quite awhile since I last saw one. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of sightings a year is about the most we get. It's so thrilling when it happens.

      Delete
  6. I saw my first hummingbird earlier this year (Grenada). It sounded like a huge bumblebee and having worked out what it was I can easily see why you celebrate them. I could watch them for ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're wonderful little birds. We rarely see them.

      Delete
  7. Are humming birds a sign of autumn coming?
    You do have a varied and talented people in your group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're usually a summer visitor. Unusual to see one this late. Yes, there's a lot of talent around.

      Delete
  8. I’ve never cooked with curry leaves. I have never seen them to buy either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great, like bay leaves but much better.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for including pictures of the ribbon installations. From the picture of them on the loom, I could not visualize the piece finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled with the whole concept, how to weave then how to install, and how to design!

      Delete
  10. My memory of curry leaves is that they stink but add incredible flavour. I must find some and use them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They smell wonderful to me, and the flavor's the same. Yes definitely try them again.

      Delete
  11. Once again, bother we're not closer. I needed curry leaves for a recipe the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad, I could have supplied you. You can grow them as a house plant though.

      Delete
  12. Those weavings are amazing. They would take a large display area to do them justice though.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.