Monday, September 9, 2024

Sunday morning flowers, postcarding

The new arrangement for Sunday morning. That's a coleus rooted in water, which will become a houseplant this winter. 


My postcards encouraging registered voters to get out for Sue Altman in NJ district 7 are on the way. I already have a roll of stamps, so I'm ready when they are.

This race is the result of redistricting which lost us Tom Malinowski, an  excellent House member, when his district was reorganized into a pretty solidly red one, handing the election to Tom Kean Jr, a maga man, now up for reelection.

He's the son of Tom Kean Sr, from the 9/11 Commission, former Gov of NJ and a very decent man. That apple disproved the adage about falling near the tree.  Altman is a good candidate now in a tight race in a difficult district. I'm giving her all the help I can. 

Yesterday's winnowing, aka displacement activity, finally cleared out this area. 


The slide out shelves  I had installed by Mike the Artist Contractor after I had the dishwasher removed. 

There was an exciting period back when Handsome Partner was living, and needing full-on care,  when the old dishwasher finally gave out. 

I replaced it, and the new one, a couple of weeks after the warranty period, went on fire after the heating element collapsed onto the appliance floor. Very exciting in a home with a completely helpless partner to safeguard.

I replaced it and the new one, different mfr, burst into a flood, when a friend was sitting with Handsome Partner to give me a break. Fortunately she knew where the shutoff was and was busy mopping when I got home.

After that I decided washing dishes by hand was less stressful, so I had these shelves installed in place of the dishwasher, and love them. The top one is the dish drainer, the bottom one my cordage grasses and washing detergent materials storage area.

Over time other things got in there, silk dyes, papermaking gear, various pots and tools. So now it's sorted. The dyes and other things are back upstairs in their own crates. I can now find the various grasses I use. The long-lost cheesecloth was hiding in there, also the mate to my small saucepan. It's all good.

And for lunch I enjoyed all the colors. 


Mixed green salad and parsley,  with feta cheese crumbled over, and egg salad, paprika on.  Cantaloupe with yogurt, ginger powder sprinkled around.

I've run out of watchable productions of Sense and Sensibility, so I think I'll move on to the 117 versions of Emma or Pride and Prejudice next. The Austenfest continues. 

And a bit of stitching, the first patch in the medley quilt. Or whatever it becomes.


Monday morning mammo recheck, and I finally managed to complete preregistration, website working better. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: ALL'S WELL, TESTS NORMAL, YAY. EXHALING.

Happy day everyone, did you see Harris wowing her fans in Penzeys? They're good people, so I'm glad. 







31 comments:

  1. Pull out shelves (also called drawers) are a vast improvement over plain old cupboards with fixed shelves. I'm done with cupboards. I never had a dishwasher machine in my life and your tale of disasters just reinforces my desire to stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pull out drawers are different. These are specifically shelves, a platform with a small lip, no sides. You rest stuff on them. They're wonderful. I'm so glad I got them. The same contractor installed a turntable set of shelves in a cabinet otherwise too deep to use, great.

      Delete
  2. You certainly have had your troubles with dishwashers! I haven't been without one for nearly 50 yrs. You made excellent use of the space it was in. Lunch looks good and healthy. I do hope all will be well with the mammo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had decades of good dishwasher service till I didn't. See happy blog post update re mammo.

      Delete
  3. Hurray for decluttering! And hurray for getting this day over with. Yes. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See happy update! All the displacement activity worked! including decluttering, stitching, Austen binge.

      Delete
    2. I swear- I have been thinking of you all day and came here just to see if there was indeed an update. I am so happy to hear this good news and now i can quit worrying about you even though I wasn't really worried about you. But, you know.

      Delete
    3. Yes, we all say it's probably nothing, but don't quite believe it. But again, it was nothing.

      Delete
  4. The flowers are delightful. I have a lot of decluttering to start on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially now you're needing to consider moving. it's been lovely, and now..

      Delete
  5. Yay! Super news! And yes, I'd have decided the same about dishwashers after your run of bad luck. The next one would have been full of locusts.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news on the scans. A big sigh of relief. Love the idea of a dish drainer in where the dishwasher was. If it was just me I’d get rid of the dishwater as well. It’s just when hubby cooks, and he is more and more, he uses every piece of cutlery and Crocker in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be a rather male tendency. Maybe I would if someone cleaned up!

      Delete
  7. A mammo sign off is a good thing. Even better than a good declutter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We rarely use the dishwasher, usually only after we have company. I do the dishes in our house, and we share cooking chores.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was going to say, I remember Tom Kean being a pretty reasonable person -- but I remember senior, not junior. You've certainly had a run of bad luck with dishwashers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how different the son is from the father. And my rejection of dishwashers has ended their reign here. So much more peaceful quietly doing dishes by hand, no fires nor floods!

      Delete
  10. So glad your tests were clear. It seems I'm off the list for the tests. I guess because of my age?? Also maybe because I had breast cancer twelve years ago and I've have had negative results ever since. I see your watching some of my favourite TV series :) Love Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ann! So good to see you in here. It's been a minute, as some of my Southern friends say. I'm glad you're in good health. Yes, Austen never fails. Always funny, serious, all at once.

      Delete
  11. Yay for good news!!!!!
    I love drawers in the kitchen because they are so much easier than having to get down on creeky hands and knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These sliding shelves are just lovely. Very well designed. They won't tip no matter how far out you pull them.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.