Thursday, September 5, 2024

Persuasion again

 I seem to be on a Persuasion compare and contrast kick. Currently it's the 1995 version with lovely Ciaran Hinds and oh well, Amanda Root..

It's a wonderful narrative, with plenty of comic relief as well as anguish. The always-ailing sister who never misses a meal or a party, the great Musgrove scene where everyone in turn confides privately in Anne their complaints about each other, the overheard and misunderstood comments driving the plot.

This morning I get an email reminder about the mammo callback, asked to pre register. First the site lets me in and hangs up on the last question, so I don't know if it registered. Two more attempts and it rejected my  password, so I may end up doing it on paper when I get there. They want nonexistent rx uploaded, among other requirements. 

I'm not sure I need any of this for a callback, but the computer system probably treats all appointments alike. I don't need more stress about this, I do know that.

After seeing yesterday's weaver, I wonder if some of my pinloom squares need to be animals. Thinking. I have a stack of them. I also wonder if I can use them combined with fabric squares, crocheted all together in a fusion throw. I already have a big piece of fabric for a backing, big enough for a quilt, if I get carried away that far.

Speaking of threads, I've winnowed a pair of very nice black pants onto Freecycle. I love them but this Incredible Shrinking Woman is now not a match for them.  

This morning the chicken is simmering making broth, ready to pick the chicken, then use for soup.  Lunch is veg croquettes, mashed cannellini beans with egg, celery dice, capers, scallions and red onion dice, Thai red curry sauce.  Dessert, need you ask, FD snacking cake.

And here's a getting to the end of the season bouquet 


When I was younger I couldn't bear the scent of marigolds or privet. Now, though, either they or I changed, because they're delicious.  Have you experienced changes in perception like this?

Happy day everyone, wear all the clothes that fit. 

L





26 comments:

  1. I’m not aware of my smell preferences changing. Food tastes have. Your lunch looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read "Persuasion" or seen a movie adaptation of it. Hmmm, time I should remedy that, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it. But maybe read the novel first before seeing what movie makers have done with it.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure I have the book and I know I probably read it, but I'll look. I don't remember. You do have a healthy diet. I don't think my sense of taste or smell have changed but if it's a bit at a time over time, I probably wouldn't recognize the change. Lots of probably here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth checking. You can probably get a lowcost Kindle edition. I have her complete works, at least I did on my old Kindle. I should check if I still have the collection.

      Delete
  4. I think that the number of things that I enjoy smelling and/or tasting have expanded. Not sure why that is.
    I am silently cursing the computer system for the call-back for you because I know your language is more lady-like than mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I've broadened my tastes as I've tried more foods and plant scents. I'm happy to delegate the cursing to you, thank you. Drat it!

      Delete
    2. I agree, I've broadened my tastes as I've tried more foods and plant scents. I'm happy to delegate the cursing to you, thank you. Drat it!

      Delete
    3. Haha! I'll never forget my sweet granny saying, "D.A.R.N.!" when she was really, really upset.

      Delete
  5. I sorted your comment. I always see them but don't usually notice that they are spam. I do remember to check on occasion but not daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Spam is so random. My comments on my own blog sometimes get there.

      Delete
  6. How have I missed figgy demerara cake and a call-back? I thought I was up-to-date? Anyway, no, you definitely don't need additional stress. Lunch sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there no way to call the mammo place yo see if your registration went through?? You definitely don't need that worry. Your lunch looks yummy. Herself won't have a band though she surely deserves one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They keep assuring me i have the appointment, it's just the supporting info. I expect to be able to do it there. It's just wrestling with the website that's stressful.
      No brass band? Well!

      Delete
  8. I saw the little animals yesterday. They’ re adorable
    I’m not shrinking I’m going the other way. Now that I can’t swim, it elevates my pain. I’m not doing any exercise at all. I hope to be moving around a tad more when the weather is better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can move more, to keep flexible. It does help.

      Delete
  9. It is interesting you like certain scents now which you didn’t like before. I don’t think that I have had a similar experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that it's going that way, rather than being intolerant of scents I used to love. That can happen, I believe.

      Delete
  10. Looking forward with great curiosity to see what you create with the pinloom squares. I can practically hear your brain clicking away with possibilities.

    Medical systems can be aggravating. Here's to good old pen and paper when you reach your appointment.

    Your lunch sounds, as usual, delicious. My Mike is like you, able to whip up creative and tasty dishes at a moment's notice. Good thing, or I'd be eating a lot of popcorn and cold cereal. Friends just gave us a bag of peaches off their tree. The over-ripe ones promptly went into a peach crisp. Yum, especially with yogurt slathered on top.

    How nice that your scent palette is expanding!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still thinking about the pinloom squares. I think an adaptation of a fusion quilt might happen. That crisp with yogurt is what I'd do with a bag of peaches, too. Mike is a keeper!

      Delete
  11. I remember (way back before dirt) when computers were first becoming a 'thing' and how they were touted as being so much easier, faster, and destined to do away with paper and jobs. Funny how most of that hasn't been the case and they seem to be set up to cause us frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember the "paperless office"?

      Delete
    2. I do remember the promise of going paperless but then our paper consumption at work multiplied seemingly tenfold with the advent of computers.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.