Sunday, September 29, 2024

Planning ahead, winter edition

Thinking about reading, especially enjoyable on my Kindle, I reacquired a complete Austen, and now I've added a complete Dickens.


He wrote enough to keep me occupied. I really liked Bleak House best, read on my own time. Now that they're not set books for school, the kiss of death, I hope to enjoy revisiting others. No exam looming at the end.

I'm not really worried about running out of things to do, what with the knitting and stitching and other fiber adventures. 

And the occasional musical interlude, like this one, through which I stumbled rustily.


For them as wants to know, today I'm wearing the little jacket I hand stitched from homewoven fabric Joanne gave me. 

It's soft and friendly, very nice to wear, and I think of the weaver every time I put it on. 

In other planning, my ballot arrived. The joy of being able to vote for a woman for President.

And our county literally sends every election on request including the little known Fire District. All counties don't do this. 

I'm showing you my lineup so you can see, in the blue column, the lovely racial and gender intersections in my region.  





I'm undyingly proud of being part of the group of activists who made mail-in universal in NJ, who got ballot cure -- the ability to correct a mistake without voiding the vote -- and drop boxes, to work around the USPS. Yay us. Or rather yay Winn Khung, grassroots leader. 



26 comments:

  1. I admire your efforts with cards, and thank you comrade for voting correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was Winn who made it possible for people like me to join in the effort from home.

      Delete
  2. Great work on voting rights, Boud! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one of those immigrants who have made this country a much better place. Thank you. You don't take anything for granted the way we native born people so often do.
    Love the picture of you. I see Joanne right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice words thank you. Immigrants have a sense of obligation to the adopted country, particularly white immigrants who notice they're benefiting from whiteness. It's the least I can do. I feel as if I have to give value. Also, immigrants by definition are people with the initiative to move in order to improve their lives. That initiative doesn't go away once they've unpacked.

      Delete
  4. Joanne is so generous. she sent me a little pull over top left over from her clothes making days that I admired everytime she posted a picture of it. I wear it over a long sleeve shirt in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's lovely, yes, I'm so glad I got to know her through blogging.

      Delete
  5. Immigrants are often engaged in working toward a better future in their adopted land. You are a force, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You seem to be getting set up for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan. Just need to get the snow fence on the back forty.

      Delete
  7. Yay you and those like you... although no one is truly like you. I LOVE that happy photo! I downloaded the complete works of Dickens in the last 10 years. I got through them a lot faster than I anticipated. I had already read most. Had never read the Pickwick Papers and it was the only one I didn’t enjoy. I still feel like there’s something wrong with me. Maybe I should give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice words. I think you've given Dickens his fair share of attention! On to Trollope!! I have him on the Kindle too.

      Delete
  8. It's unbelievable that Trump's name is still on the ballot form. And that the Republican party put it there.
    You look lovely and warm and happy in your new jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased with the jacket. It's friendly. Unlike tfg..

      Delete
  9. You look very happy.

    I haven't received a mail in ballot in years. I check online to find I've been purged from the Vermont voter registration list. I know I missed the last 2 local elections. Evidently, in Vermont if you don't vote in 2 general elections, your voter registration is purged, gone, off the voter list. That is extreme. I believe unless you moved away or die, your voter registration should remain. Decades of voting, I miss 2 elections and get purged feels to me fishy.
    I re-registered online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you reregistered. I never miss an election, don't think I ever have.

      Delete
  10. Curious to know what 'nomination by petition' means...could you explain further?
    It's going to be interesting here to see if mail-in ballots will be more of a thing when our election happens (whenever it happens....it's up in the air right now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In order to have your name on the ballot you need a certain number of voter signatures in a petition supporting your candidacy. In this case no-one tried, so it will be write in vote. In view of recent fire district shenanigans, I'm not surprised.
      How do you get your name on the ballot in Canada?

      Delete
  11. That jacket looks so nice. I don't remember if it was linen or hemp.
    Our ballots go out next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a scrap piece of the cotton fabric you weave for towels. I love it.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.