Thursday, September 26, 2024

Floral tribute to Ukraine, also ice cream

Today's flowers are another daily shout-out to Ukraine, daily since the Russian invasion, in different forms. They all reference the blue and yellow national colors of grain and sky.

Here there's an additional note. The blue flowers are forgetmenot, to promise we won't forget Ukraine.

Today yet another medical appointment, this one easy and local, the newest COVID-19 vax.

And, since I've been so conscientious about doctors and injections and hearing adjustments, I decided, for the first time in months, to pick up ice cream, from the vax store in fact, as a reward.

Breyer's Neapolitan. Also see flowers over there on the hearth, and postcards to voters waiting there.

I usually need a day to recover from COVID-19 vax, so just in case I have symptoms requiring ice cream, I'm set. I notice the higher prices and smaller containers, too. Getting toward thimble sized cartons. But I'm worth it.

What I did not see were the security precautions noted by bloggers elsewhere, items tagged or in locked cases. So this CVS has perhaps not been so subject to theft as some.

I did balance this indulgence with lunch of a spicy plant-sausage croquette on a bed of steamed spinach. Funny how no matter how much spinach you start with, you end with a tablespoonful.  Where does it go?? Up in steam, I guess.

I found a great YouTube tutorial for an interesting project that you really can do if you're learning crochet. It's Marion again, such a good teacher. 

This bag is a rectangle three times as long as wide, eg 30"x10" which is folded and stitched, origami style.

I wouldn't add the foofy bits, but chacune a son gout. Translation: everyone's got gout.

Just an idea if you're in search of a project or one to interest a beginner if that's not you.

Happy day everyone, many thoughts about Florida right now, keeping in touch with friends there.




28 comments:

  1. "chacune a son gout. Translation: everyone's got gout" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been corrected on this translation in the past by a very serious and literal reader!!

      Delete
  2. Breyer’s Neapolitan. I don’t think I’ve had that in more than 50 years! Beautiful flowers. I can’t believe Ukraine has been under siege (and fighting back) for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's years since the Russians thought they could take Ukraine in three days. The ice cream tastes pretty much as always, but best I could get at the time.

      Delete
  3. Downsizing is an issue these days. Every few months I treat myself to ice cream and the same has happened to that container. The price increase was significant too. Terrible on both levels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a bit shocking, so long since I'd shopped for it.

      Delete
  4. We cannot forget Ukraine. It seems like my country is going to send our old tanks to Ukraine.
    Who knows about vaccines, but I had my seventh or eighth last week and I've not caught Covid. This is very rare in Australia. I am about and around on the streets, cafes and public transport, yet I haven't caught Covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ukraine needs all the armaments they can get. I haven't had covid, though I'm more sheltered than most, no public transportation. But I'm in groups regularly. So I continue to hope I stay covid free.

      Delete
  5. I love your floral tribute. And yes, you deserved an ice cream reward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I often forget to do nice things for me, just push on

      Delete
  6. Covid is indiscriminate. I've had it once, some, younger, in my family two or three times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be a lot of chance about getting or escaping it.

      Delete
  7. We are lucky - or not so much, depending on the waistline - to have a really good ice cream manufacturer locally. This year we discovered the delights of their new cappuccino flavour, much to our detriment.
    Really wish Canada would hurry up and roll out the new covid and flu shots because I'd love to get ours prior to our trip, but Pfizer has just been approved so it will likely take several weeks before it's available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a number of handmade icecream places here but I wasn't in the mood to shop! I don't know why Canada's slower on vaccine.

      Delete
  8. We always called Neapolitan ice cream "choc-van-straw". We're classy like that. You definitely are worth it.
    I hope you're not put too far down with your vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was using the posh name to impress Mitchell. This vax isn't as rough as previous ones. Sore arm, not much else, bit tired. I'll take it.

      Delete
  9. I had Covid before the vaccines were available. We will get our shot next month. I have a small dish of ice cream everyday after lunch. My indulgence. You absolutely deserve some ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, me, it wouldn't be a small dish. Just sayin. That pre vax period was so frightening. It was so good when they became available.

      Delete
  10. Everyone's got gout? Lord, I hope not!

    I've been indulging in ice cream more often than not lately. I shudder to think what it's doing to my cholesterol, but it sure is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could easily get into a regular supply of icecream! It's probably just as well the prices have shot up.

      Delete
  11. It's true about spinach! You deserve just in case ice cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream also shrinks fast, but I have a hand, or a spoon, in that.

      Delete
  12. I am reminded that we have a carton of Rolo ice cream in the house. Good stuff. Do you have that brand down thataway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with it, but that's a low bar!

      Delete
  13. My current Covid vac did not flatten me either. Nice change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tiredness but no chills and fever all that.

      Delete
  14. We all scream for ice cream! Did they cut down the package again — really? I wish they would just raise the price, it was more convenient that way.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they've raised the price, too. As well as reducing the size.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.