Friday, September 6, 2024

After the funeral

No, not the Agatha Christie one, this is a writer I just found out about 

Her stories are so powerful and filled with layers and questions and significance that the short story form is enough for the reader to deal with.

Oddly I found out about her from Florence Knapp's newsletter. I say oddly, because I know her as Flossie Teacakes, from whose book I learned English paper piecing, a far cry from literature.

This Florence 

As soon as I started the newsletter, I checked Libby, the library app, found a book of Hadley's short stories, and was engrossed in them before I finished reading the newsletter.

I really recommend her. The stories seem workaday, ordinary, but they're far from it. She can fill out a character in a few touches, and draw the reader in right away, such a sure touch.

Signs of life on the patio 

Here's the bulb that broke off when I separated the ponytail palm, and gave it a pot just to see what would happen 


And sansevieria, tossed away, looking dead, months ago, is making a determined comeback in unlikely places


Here's a flower from my seed strewing, name escapes me, but I'm thinking candytuft. Yes?  


Today's walk yielded this. 


One spent blossom, more buds. Wild? Garden escape? Please say if you know.

While I was waiting for the Misfits delivery, I was idly scrolling about in YouTube and found a lovely Elizabethan, Thomas Morley, quartet, this one, April is in my mistress' face a cynical love story but not.


So, long time since I played recorder, but I hauled them out and tried my hand, with these three in turn, soprano, alto, tenor. 

There's a harpsichord accompaniment, which showed me how amazingly out of tune and out of practice I was. 

I'd lost track of the fingerings, but they came back after a few false starts.  Alto is different from the other two, and I eventually realized I should also be playing this piece an octave up.

This was another hearing adventure, first music since hearing aids. A bit tinny, but that was probably my rusty playing. I was terrible and I had such a good time.

I'm going to leave the instruments and stand out, so I'll be encouraged to play more. And I'll find my sheet music, medieval, Renaissance and Elizabethan. It's time I played a bit.

Anyway Misfits arrived 




It occurs to me that it may not be crystal clear, blogistas not being mind readers, that I do these pictures and share them as my record of the condition on arrival, in case I need to take it up. I also check that the whole list arrived.  This is a good place to store that information.

It's also interesting to readers who like to see what I'm up to in the kitchen, just as I like to know what they cook and shop for.

The yogurt and fruit will be desserts, also greens, berries and seedy bread make great breakfasts. I'm using avocado oil a lot more since mayo became a staple, used all over, in salads, spread instead of butter. 

The eggs are beautiful, sturdy shells, yolks that stand up, very much like my mom's home raised ones. Feta cheese gets everywhere as a dressing, especially on the salad greens, red potatoes as a change from yellow, great for German, non mayo, potato salad. Plans for everything with an emphasis on easy.

So that's the state of Boud today. I think I'll take a nap now.

Happy day everyone. Plan to enjoy.






30 comments:

  1. I have the Libby app and had difficulty signing in at first even though I was putting in the correct password so I quit trying and then one day I tried again and it worked. read two books on the app but when I tried to select a third, it wanted me to sign in again and same problem.

    when I was a young teenager I wanted to play a musical instrument so I got a recorder. but I was too shy even alone in my bedroom to practice enough to get decent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not too late to try again with recorder if you're still interested. It's good to have low expectations, too! Those library apps do have bugs here and there. Mostly Libby works for me.

      Delete
  2. Nature is amazing the way life returns when you feel there's no hope. A musician as well! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not feeling too talented at the moment! But I'm definitely going to get back with it. I don't like listening to music as much as playing it, for better or worse.

      Delete
  3. I was just wondering if you'd been doing any recorder playing lately!
    Don't know what the first flower is but my plant ID app said the second is Rose of Sharon which is in the mallow/hibiscus family. I thought perhaps it was a swamp mallow but they can look very similar. Okra's part of that family too.
    I swear I've read some Tessa Hadley but can't remember what. After I finish listening to the book I'm ear-reading, I'll find one of hers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the plant id. Yes, pretty sure that's right. Go for Tessa Hadley. She's worth finding.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Ms. Moon that the second plant is rose of Sharon. Also no clue on first. Oh boy! I haven’t played the recorder (of course you have the set) since Johnson was president. Lyndon, not Andrew. I think I was playing the violin when Andrew was president — or maybe it was the clarinet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I responded and after publishing, it vanished, and spam tells me it's not there. Anyway, I said, before I vanished, I have a bass recorder too but I can't do the thumb movements it needs. I was beginning piano in the Andrew J administration.

      Delete
  5. You should play it and record it. We could all listen to a Recorder recording. (I'm trying, but not hard enough, apparently.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We found our daughter’s recorder recently. Our second granddaughter loves playing it. She is the musical one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the other people are interested, too.

      Delete
  7. Those hearings aids are changing your life when your music comes out again. Glad you are enjoying reuniting with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about that but you may be right. It's certainly nice to pick it up again.

      Delete
  8. I have a full set of recorders as well and have played off and on for the past 55 years. However, since my cataracts have been limiting my vision, I can't see the sheet music anymore so I haven't played for quite a while. I'm hopeful that once I have the cataract surgery, I'll be able to start again? If not, I'll have to rehome my recorders and music to the local Recorder Society, if they'll take them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cataract surgery improved my vision a lot. So I see why you won't pick it right back up.

      Delete
    2. That was supposed to read I DON'T see etc. Doh!

      Delete
  9. Oh and P.S. -- one of my recorders will be on my Full Moon Altar for September!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember learning the recorder in primary school. I wasn’t very good at it
    I love seeing your misfits box and how you use all the ingredients. Please continue to post about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have the chance to find out if you like an instrument, then no regrets later. I like posting my misfits, so I'm glad to.

      Delete
  11. Funny you should get out your recorders. Last night I fell down a rabbit hole looking up Tommy Makem, an Irish singer I admired. He was a master tin whistle player.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not heard of Tessa Hadley, but I'll watch for her.

    Your white flower looks like candytuft, but it's a weird time of year for candytuft to bloom. Mysterious!

    I think your Sanseveria is actually Tradescantia?

    It's good to see a bud on the ponytail palm! Plants really are survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I often mix those two plant names, thank you for sorting it. I was nervous about separating the ponytail palm but now I have three, apparently doing okay. Yes plants want to live despite the efforts of their human caregivers.

      Delete
  13. Play more! I played the violin when I was a kid and I have always regretted not sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been playing one instrument or another since I was six, piano, voice, violin, flute, recorder, and this year's addition: whistling! It's all good.

      Delete
  14. Sorry I can't help with the plant ID question but I see others have, so all good. I'm sure you will enjoy making music again, particularly if you can hear the notes you're producing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had a hearing problem with music -- it's all in my good range, also tones don't have to be deciphered like languages. But either way, it's good.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.