Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Chocwalbiks, Camomile Lawn, Textiles and Tea,

The blueberries sort of vanished when yogurt showed up, so the muffin/biscuit/thingies were chocolate chip and walnut.

I expect I'll manage. 

I'm now up to 90% with Ruth and Laura, and at this rate, I'll be hearing my stove alarm more often. The road home was closed and I ended up making a lovely detour around roads I hadn't been on for ages. I also did not get lost, to my surprise, old routes kicking in.

Textiles and Tea featured a weaver and dyer, Sydney Sogol, who started out in fine arts and now spends her time weaving her own threads, usually plant based, such as tencel. In this series of images you'll see a scarf woven by another fiber artist from Sydney's dyed threads.

She draws on the natural world, particularly birds, for inspiration, and marine mammals, as well as the Nazca lines.



in Paris modeling her clothes, with her sister





A chuppah designed, dyed and woven for a friend's wedding.



She is aiming for iridescence in her threads, and loves plunging into color.

Current evening viewing is a rerun of Camomile Lawn, from Mary Wesley's novel. Wonderful cast, great incidental music, those haunting string pizzicatos. Adapted from Ravel's string quartet in f major.


One of the times when a brilliant novel is adapted to a brilliant series.


Here's my latest book request. I'll probably get to read this on a snowy day

And just sayin

Happy day, everyone, get your digs in where you can..

 




20 comments:

  1. Ha! Funny sign. Her colors are vibrant, I like it. Chocolate chip/walnut muffins sound excellent to me, muffins always sound excellent to me. It has to be a bit startling to be hearing things you haven't for sometime. I'm so happy they are working for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit surprising the number of sounds emitted by devices, plumbing, etc! Her colors are wild, nothing shy there. These muffin things toast a treat.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes. I do love her colors so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do make the things and show the things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the picture of the bird pared with the died thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's had the thread ready for ages, still deciding how to weave the bird.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the “men at work” sign. Sydney puts together beautiful colors. Her inspirations are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's got a wonderful color touch. Makes you want to weave!

      Delete
  6. Pretty threads and LOL on the sign!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, those colors! WOW!

    I'm on a Richard Osman binge myself, having found his third Thursday Murder Club book in a little free library, then the second one available at our regular library - now on my bedside table. A good diversion just when one needs one. His newest will be a lovely snowy day read.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first in a new series, so I'm hopeful.

      Delete
  8. I never spun tencel, though I came across roving occasionally. Cellulose makes such shiny thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the shiny quality is what she goes for.

      Delete
  9. If that is the English film Camomile Lawn made in the 1980s I think, it is a wonderful film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the one. Wonderful cast, great production.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.