Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Wednesday and red lentil curry

Wednesday is for recovering from Tuesday. And for making red lentil curry. I now have red lentils and since that was the only ingredient I was missing from this recipe from Yeung Man Cooking I was all set 

There's another page of instructions. This is a meal where you get into the process of cooking by stages, ending in a wonderful hot spicy endlessly interesting dish. 

You need to be left alone to cook this, many stages, involving chopping and toasting and crushing and sauteeing in stages. Just finding and setting out the ingredients is a thing.




I eat this with spoon and fork, or pusher,  because you get a different taste with each spoonful, all the different flavors and spices are in the sauce, and you'd miss some of the combos if you used a fork.

This half hour of prep and cooking makes three substantial meals. I suppose that's one family or a meal for a hungry couple.

Tomorrow's Misfits will include ginger beer again, perfect accompaniment to this curry, which I'll have again for lunch.

And I'm reading a cosy mystery 


Yesterday was full of good things. Aside from what you already know, one neighbor gave me dill, an herb I've never succeeded with, and she has a surplus. 

Another watered my flowers along with his own. He also told me his daughter had installed insulation for a sound barrier around his new fireplace where the speakers are, so I wouldn't hear his music. 

His fireplace and mine back each other and sound can travel. He can't do it himself at the moment, so he organized her into it! 

This is why I stay here as long as I can do it. Lovely neighborhood. Caring, not nosy.
 
This afternoon may involve a siesta.

Meanwhile, problem solving 



 

 

25 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have planned a weeks worth of food for yourself
    Our little community is the same. We are all around the same age. Our kids went to the local schools and now we are grandparents all together
    I love it and will be sad to leave one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to feel that your neighborhood is a real community.

      Delete
  2. I wish I lived around neighbors like that...Your lentils look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you did, too. You'd be a good neighbor.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They're lovely. I've been very fortunate with neighbors. Mostly.

      Delete
  4. Nice neighbours are a gift.
    Your curry is what we know as dahl and eat quite frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is one of the more elaborate versions. I like it a lot.

      Delete
  5. It looks like you found an ideal neighbourhood, Boud. One to appreciate and enjoy, which you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always been this way, even when people move in and out. There seems to be a friendly tradition. Other local developments, not so much.

      Delete
  6. I love The Far Side. it's always been one of my favorite comics. and so nice to have caring neighbors especially since you share walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very important in this kind of construction, yes.

      Delete
  7. You have that community, that little village and you have this virtual one, online. Both important in their own ways.
    I bet your curry was so good. We got Thai take-out last night and I swear to you- my Tom Kha Kai soup was the best thing I ever tasted in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you could taste it. I have a couple of other great online communities, too, largely Black spaces who've warmly welcomed me and just this week defended me against someone who thought I was too outspoken and impatient! That felt great.

      Delete
  8. Neighbors can make or break your contentment. You are so fortunate in yours. I found several years ago I really do not like coconut milk. That took all of these types of curry off the menu for me. It made me a little sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milk is the only form of coconut I like. I wonder if half and half would sub?

      Delete
  9. It's great to have considerate neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do seem to reside in a good neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please when you comment anonymously, put a name in the body of the comment, so I don't accidentally delete. Thank you

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful neighbourhood you have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You live in a perfect spot for you but I do know that in order to have good neighbours you also have to be one (the old adage of what goes around comes around) and I know you're that. (btw - I'm late to the party...again....and for some reason I'm sure only known to Blog-grrrrrr the pictures in this post didn't show up).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your pictures come back at some point. You're missing a lot.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.