Sunday, July 28, 2024

Now for calm, to balance the excitement

 Friday's knitting group was lively, stitching, knitting, crochet 





Lovely African work basket. Does anyone know the purpose of the loops at the base of the handles?

Talk ranged over birthdays, childbirth, kidney stones (!), knitting patterns, MDK, spf umbrellas, business travel, missing medical calls because made from personal phones, weather, goldwork, Williamsburg, color blindness and interlibrary loans. So long since I've been there, it was like a reunion.

In the garden, here's the drama of the season 

Friday the hibiscus did this 


Saturday 


It just exploded into its very first blossom. Tell me this isn't a metaphor for our political season! Gary and friend came to admire and take pictures. He's looking stronger now.

And less spectacular, but beautiful, the first zinnia 

and friends 


So that's nature and friends, coming through faithfully.

Saturday's walk gave more sights 


First tiger swallowtail of the year, blurred because she was busy 



Wildflower at the edge of the trees, don't know this one, guessing birds foot trefoil.

Ed. Note here's a much better picture of what I saw. Mine didn't convey the three part complexity of the flower, which can grow to 12", like this one.

And it might be yet another wildflower!



A lot of yellow sorrel underfoot 



My neighbors also have a hibiscus 

Then home to food 

Roast chicken breast with basmati rice with baby Bella mushrooms and dried cranberries 


And a pluot, apple and nectarine crumble, baked in the toaster oven. 

For the crumble part I just slung oats, chickpea flour, cane sugar and molasses mixed together, over the fruit, dots of butter, baked at 380°f an hour, first 30 minutes with a tinfoil hat (!) second 30 minutes uncovered and it came out well enough. 
Got to keep up my strength.

Happy day, everyone! Including dog people 







28 comments:

  1. I have several of those baskets tor carrying and storing wool, I think the loops make the weight bearing more evenly balanced, less stress on the handle and the rim of the basket, That's is how it seems to me. Those baskets are work horses!

    Harris is on fire !! We are so pumped for this election !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea about the loops. We're all on fire now about the campaign!

      Delete
  2. I can’t stop thinking about that pluot, apple, and nectarine crumble. That would go perfectly with my tea right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty good, considering how it was flung together.

      Delete
  3. I like the crocheted octopus, especially the colours - very soothing to tired eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice color combo, in my favorite range.

      Delete
  4. I never know what memories will be evoked. When I read about your hibiscus, my mind went back 60 years or more. Thinking it was a body part, Granny Clampett (Beverly Hillbilies) was trying to treat Mrs Drysdale for her ailing hibiscus. This has nothing to do with your post -- just a tangent of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven’t used chickpea flour. I’ve been using rice flour but the products are dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been pleased with it. It takes up liquid differently from wheat flour or ap, so I had a learning curve. But it's a good protein source.

      Delete
  6. lovely flowers. been nothing but rain nearly every day since the hurricane. we're all growing webbed feet and moss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our rain has obligingly happened at night, saves watering.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful flowers! The one you thought was a birds foot trefoil is probably a wild evening primrose. The ones in our meadow just started to flower here too. Bird's foot is usually less than 4 inches tall and has different leaves.

    I'm looking forward to seeing more butterflies as August rolls in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My picture was poor, but it bears no resemblance to the flowerheads of evening primrose. I'm going to edit and add in a real picture of bft. It can grow up to 12", which is about the size of this one.
      I'm excited about butterflies, too, not many this year.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful flowers all, and knitting looks quite interesting. Lovely basket! Cooking sounds quite delicious. Mmm, I just bought a bunch of nectarines, and blueberries. Perhaps time for me to go in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the knitted octopus and your beautiful hibiscus! I'd guess that yellow flower is an evening primrose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About btf, see my response to Val. This complex flower head is what I saw, but my picture was poor.

      Delete
  10. That last sweater, blues/greys, was so soothing. Those hibiscus, however, absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely Norwegian yarn and the colors are subtle. Unlike the hibiscus!

      Delete
  11. I am a sucker for any and all hibiscus and relatives. Okra, confederate rose, swamp mallow...so many beautiful plants.
    Once again, I love the knitting group topics. I could have added my own story to the kidney stone discussion.
    Come on, zinnias! I am rooting for you! (No pun intended.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all those big fleeting flowers too. The knitters do roam far afield!

      Delete
  12. I've been out of town for a week plus, and here is so much to catch up on! Go Kamala!!! (And go Boud!!! - thanks for all the links). Glad Gary is home and hope he'll be back to full strength soon. That custard with plum sauce! Those amazing tiny sculptures at the library! Dratted phones - but great transcript of the call. Lovely swallowtail, and smart Yertle to dive when the frog spotted you. That hibiscus! Hope your somewhat less hellish temperature has continued. And I agree with Steve and Val - your photo leans toward evening primrose. Guess you'll have to take another photo to convince us. :-)

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great roundup of topics! Our days are normally hot now, not Hades style. It's better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That hibiscus is spectacular! Glad the weather cooled enough for you to get to the knitting group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hibiscus is wonderful and shortlived. It was good to get back to the group again. I miss it when I can't get there.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.