Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Here's our resident praying mantis looking right at us, greener and bigger. Gary came over to admire then took her picture.


After bringing me in to admire his newly installed fireplace insert, he leashed Billy the pup and decided to come on my walk. He'd never been down that side of the development, and was amazed at the frogs leaping about.

On the way back, we met a neighbor new to Gary, whom I've known for years. We admired her vegetables, her Yorkie and Billy made friends, and so it went.

The weather was just about cool enough for  walking, so I  thought it would be a waste to be indoors at the knitting group if there is one. I'll get back when the heat moderates.

I also made  arrangements for the water heater, incredibly expensive, at least double last time, to be ordered for installation next week, and for  dryer vent  and chimney inspection and cleaning also next week.  This month, with the several $K hearing aids, will set me back quite a bit. Good thing my stock fund has gone up,  and I can pay for it all, so there's that.  Thank you, Joe!

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea featured a young yardage weaver who encourages everyone to make clothes from their own woven yardage, not to fear cutting into it. She has done custom sewing, including wedding dresses, also her own. She also sells kitchen cloths and insists people use them, not just keep them "for best". Joanne would approve.



this length was woven, unwoven and rewoven to get this blurred effect.








And here's her favorite jacket with great pockets usually crammed with what she needs in her current project.


Behind her here is a dress she made for herself. She started life in computer software and web design, and says weaving is really programming. It has a lot in common. 

I usually knit or stitch or weave while I watch and do screenshots. Yesterday I was pinloom weaving, because I have another idea about woven and stitched patches worked together in a piece, using my backlog of both.

So yesterday was pretty full, one way and another. 

I pretty much followed this suggestion


Happy day, everyone, my potatoes will soon be ready to harvest!  

One of the  joys of writing a blog is that my words are never interrupted as I go. Any small woman with a small voice reading this will know how precious that is. You get right to the end without anyone cutting in,  shouting you down and arguing, it's lovely. Anyone can get their turn in the comments, and that's fine. Just sayin'.







 

29 comments:

  1. I have to have pockets, too, and they're always full of nothing much in particular that would be missed if it were not there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! They're vital, because you never know.

      Delete
  2. "Weaving is really programming" -- what an interesting and keen insight! And your last paragraph about blogging not being interrupted -- I think that's why blogging appeals to so many introverts. We control its flow and thought, and then turn it over to our readers for comment. All very orderly, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My comment may show up in spam. I made one and it vanished, to the effect that the blogosphere is really introvert territory.

      Delete
    2. My son in law, who is a computer programmer/etal once told me weaving is the original computer programming.

      Delete
    3. Interesting observation

      Delete
  3. I get irritated when Husband comes in, sits down, and wants to talk when I'm blogging! An expensive time for you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you fail to hear him! Yes, all unavoidable expenses.

      Delete
  4. I love your voice and will never shout you down... even if given the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was writing, I was thinking that men who read and respond to women's blogs are unlikely to push women around in real life. I appreciate it more than you might know.

      Delete
  5. I like that woman's attitude about weaving which seems to basically be, "Don't take everything so seriously!" And her weaves are gorgeous. Can you use the word that way or is that incorrect? I know nothing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like her lighthearted approach, too. She's definitely a problem solver not a problem seeker.

      Delete
  6. oh yes, exactly. not being interrupted before you finish your thought or story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely. I wonder if this is why women particularly used to write letters?

      Delete
  7. Gary doesn't seem well acquainted with his hood. But maybe he is now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, better. He doesn't walk, so I think he misses a lot. He was amazed at the wildlife and plans to bring his granddaughter over, too.

      Delete
  8. Sandra This & ThatJuly 3, 2024 at 4:43 PM

    Not only is her weaving beautiful, she looks like she's full of joy! I think it's good Gary went for a walk with you, he should know what's right out his door. I am a small woman with a large voice, part of my heritage I suppose. Even with that, I am talked over, I just don't stop talking so neither pays attention to the other.😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a technique, just don't stop!

      Gary, like a lot of car bound people, rarely discovers anything you can't drive to. I know the neighborhood very well because I walk it a lot. In fact he was flagging on the way home, though it's not a long walk, about half an hour usually, not used to it.

      Delete
  9. So glad you got Gary and B-t-P out on an honest to goodness stroll. How nice that you were able to open his eyes a little bit to the local wonders (human and herpetological). I hope he and Billy join you again one day.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary works out, very manly, but doesn't walk anywhere. I'm happy walking alone and stopping to watch things, but once in a while maybe.

      Delete
  10. Walking with someone else on a warm day is an excellent idea
    Your really tempting me to start weaving. I have to keep telling myself
    I don’t need another hobby lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe next time you see Caro she'll bring hers ..
      I'd much rather walk alone, but that once it seemed okay.

      Delete
  11. Love the sound of that walk through the neighbourhood with Gary! I love company on a walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate company, having to match their speed and the dog wrapping her lead round my legs, and talking, it's all not what I like. But he was so keen.

      Delete
  12. I haven't ever thought about the joys of writing a blog in that way, but it is quite true. It gives a voice to anyone who can string a few written words together. Yes, some big ouch outlays for you this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure to write my blog. And yes, another expensive summer.

      Delete
  13. Ms. Walsh is my kind of weaver. The goods on the loom seem to be huck weave, though the slub threads make that an iffy call. In any case, it is well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It’s been a while since I saw a Praying Mantis; I’ll have to see if I can find one. Fascinating creatures, but then so are they all. Money does have a way of flowing out, doesn’t it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!