Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Dosas, knitting, Textiles and Tea

After seeing Kamala cooking on YouTube, I remembered it's a long time since I made dosas. Kind of pancakes made with red lentils, fermented.

I didn't have red lentils, so instead I ground brown lentils into flour. Red lentils are softer, fast cooking, brown more resistant. So I thought flour would work. 

This coffee mill is about 35 years old, $10 at a local store long gone. It's still working fine after grinding all kinds of grains and nuts and seeds and spices. Also coffee, but rarely.



Made a batter with salt and water. Left it overnight.

Dosas for lunch today with chicken breast. It was edible but not pretty, hence no pictures. I've made other edible but not photogenic meals lately, usual involving cannellini beans. Not much color. But still good food.

The Tuesday knitting group was about beads, this entire can donated to the library for crafting classes. Many of the beads are antique, from the donor's grandmother.



Also Tunisian crochet returned, with a phone case and a bag for clothes pegs 


The resident librarian who officially runs the group always leaves out relevant books from the collection 



Lovely designs. And lovely discussion of hats and fashion and living in New Mexico north of Taos, learning to spin, indigo dyeing, umbrellas, my now-returned and refunded brolly, paper making with various materials, wrens nesting, drawing, spinning cotton, Gandhi, cordage and heatwaves. 

Textiles and Tea featured Laurie Carlson Steger, who not only weaves solo, but does collaborative work too. She has worked in fiber optics for a special MIT project, which ended up being part of a space telescope! 

Nearer home, she's an artist who uses weaving as her medium. You can see echoes of Klee, Rothko and others.







She wove this piece at the age of twelve.


See the Rothko style on her wall



And here Klee and others



This is jazz violinist Stefan Grappelli, from a live drawing at a concert, rendered in black and white then colors



And here's her high tech TC2 loom, with skeins of hand dyed yarn drying in front of it. 

This was an entertaining and far reaching session. Next year she's teaching a weaving workshop using fiber optic yarn to make a lighting-up hat, great fun.

Happy day, everyone, I love my Tuesdays!







18 comments:

  1. So many gifted women in this world. My mother did a large piece that looked almost exactly like the cover of Goldworks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dosas were new to me. I might give them a try. Let’s hope that Kamala can keep the momentum going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by last night's Atlanta rally, both senators present and speaking, Abrams, too, full house, and all the groups meeting to support her, I think we all can.

      Delete
  3. Your Tuesdays sound great, Boud. I am unfamiliar with dosas. I will have to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out authentic Indian methods. The YouTube of Mindy kaling and Kamala is in fact a good guide. Also fun to watch.

      Delete
  4. You seemed to have had a goodly dose of dosas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rather like the 4th and 5th images best. the kimono format really appeals to me for some reason. now that the last week is done and my brother and his wife have headed home I'll have time to work on my painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work as always going on at the library knitting group.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also enjoy your Tuesdays! I have no idea how such intricacy is achieved in weaving but I sure do appreciate the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm only generally aware of weaving process, too. Lovely to see the results

      Delete
  8. Some amazing weaving, as always. I love the toucan piece. Amazing that a 12-year-old created it!

    Sorry about the paywall on that Times article I posted. I used a "gift" link but maybe that doesn't work for a publicly accessible post. In any case, here's a similar article about the same phenomenon, if you're interested:
    https://www.slashgear.com/1336325/reason-amazon-sellers-have-strange-brand-names/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was always gifted. She learned on a rigid heddle when she was too small to run a floor loom. Thanks so much for the new link.

      Delete
  9. It's endlessly fascinating to read about the topics that get covered at knitting group. And amazing to see the piece the Textiles lady did when she was only 12.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting group. Includes a spinner/knitter and an opera singer!

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.