Wednesday, July 24, 2024

More just sayin', then fiberarts

 




Back to now 

Gary's expected home in a day or two, meanwhile a friend is watering his garden 



And we're finally seeing monarchs on the butterfly bushes 


Here's my outfit, ready for the Tuesday Knitting Group, first outing for the linen tunic, tucked in because it works better with this skirt, which yes, does match that curtain. 

That's the rest of the fabric earning its keep as a portiere until I make it into something. I mean, I'm not wearing a curtain.


Tuesday Knitting Group was select and fun, here's a sweater being knitted sideways, clever pattern


Talk ranged over trips to Portugal, birth order, the Duggar family, sock knitting, yarn spun for crochet not knitting, heatwaves, spf umbrellas from Australia, animals not improving knitting, Indian embroidery, fireflies,  goldwork and I may be getting more gold thread from a participant's grandmother, also beads, freecycling and other exciting subjects.

Textiles and Tea was rigid heddle weaving with Betty Davenport, who literally wrote the book on rigid heddle weaving.





The heddle is that comb-like  thing resting across the loom. Also a bigger one at the back, threaded for action.



Here are pictures of the pickup stick in action,manipulating the threads to create interesting weave patterns.


Those little inset shapes she learned from Guatemalan weavers, working on back strap looms


and this is a piece she wove as part of her Certificate of Excellence submission.

Near the top is a page of comments I screenshot so you can see the name of a famous Peruvian weaver she's worked with, and a reference to the Cusco textile center.

She weaves fabric to make clothes on her rigid heddle loom, with knitted finishing bands.  I'm hoping Joanne and Caro will stop in with comments, because they've done a whole lot more with rigid heddle weaving than your humble blogger.

They're probably familiar with her books, too.

So, lovely day, full of interesting events and people, I hope yours is too. Happy day, everyone.






28 comments:

  1. A side knit sounds different indeed. Would love to find that pattern
    Gardens are looking fantastic
    Go team Harris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask her where she found it when I see her again.

      Delete
  2. Here is to both Harris and Gary. May they both prosper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary's garden is looking lush and colourful - despite all your heat - o perhaps because of it and some diligent watering by neighbour. The weaving is really wearable (without making one feel like an avant garde artwork).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just brought most of it from the nursery full grown! Too impatient for seeds, leaves that to me.
      I agree about wearable art, I hate the disrespect of using a person as an easel. It's delicate. Betty hits it really well.

      Delete
  4. Your outfit is lovely and will be a big hit at the Knitting Group, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it worked okay. The tunic will go well if it ever gets cool enough for pants. I'm for skirts till further notice.

      Delete
  5. Loved seeing your outfit, so clever! And the knitting sideways sweater! And Gary's garden, with wishes he's doing well. Then the weaving just bowled me over! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice weaving, especially on a rigid heddle loom.

      Delete
  6. Wait a minute. "I remember climbing your fireplace at the dinner after your house..."? I need some context.
    I'd love to hear that conversation about the Duggars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty's a mountain climber, too, but we didn't pursue that fireplace comment! The Duggars chat was largely thumbs down where it wasn't nsfw.

      Delete
  7. Gary's garden is very nice. Your outfit is stylish and looks comfortable. I haven't worn a skirt/dress in over 30 years!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tolerate pants in warm weather, and finally said never mind my ancient legs, skirts are it.

      Delete
  8. At least you've taken clothing fabric and turned it into portieres, as opposed to the other way 'round a la Carol Burnett.

    I love those orange lilies in Gary's garden. Tiger lilies, I guess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, her Scarlett oHara skit! I'm guessing likewise about the lilies.

      Delete
  9. More beautiful textile art! Thanks for sharing.

    I love your outfit. Did you see the film “On a Clear Day You Can See Forever” and the song “Go to Sleep” where one character’s outfit matches the wallpaper and the other’s matches the bedding? I’ll just color you Barbra!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lovely outfit, Boud. Gary’s garden is beautiful. He will be pleased with it I expect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was worried about it, but it's fine

      Delete
  11. What an amazing upturn in Democrat fortunes. Even I am paying attention to American politics now. How any woman could vote for Trump is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women who think they're protected and like his hate for certain groups, sigh

      Delete
  12. Your skirt and curtain are so clever- would make a wonderful painting!
    Weaving is such an interesting art- ancient and artful and can cover an entire wall if one wants- The university here has three walls, huge weaving by a teacher that lives three houses up the street. HOW? I don't think they are stitched together. but I can not imagine a loom large enough! Astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are carpet looms which are very wide. Maybe one of them. About the painting -- be my guest!

      Delete
  13. Ms. Davenport's work is incredible, in my opinion. I've done most of my rigid heddle work on an inkle loom, and I could push mine to about a six inch weaving width. I loved that loom and wove yards and yards on it. I made all the fabric into vests by putting the lengths side by side and joining them with a zig zag stitch on the sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She uses a 20" I think, and seams to make the equivalent of 46" fabric.

      Delete
  14. So glad to hear that Gary is soon to come home and now it's to be hoped he takes care of himself.
    You and Carol Burnett have taken a page out of the same fashion book (thinking in terms of her Gone With The Wind curtain costume).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not wearing a curtain! The doorway's wearing a dress!

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered! Anonymous commenters: enter your name in your text if you want your comment published.