Thursday, August 31, 2023

Thoughts about stitching and Fox and plants

Yesterday was all about laundry and changing sheets and making yogurt and asking the FCC to lift Fox's licence.

Once the laundry was done and the yogurt started,

I had planned to go pick grass to make into ink. Another time I'll explain that. Then while I was busy indoors, the landscapers got busy outdoors, cutting the grass so low I can't pick it yet. 

So, in the time now freed up,  I did a bit online, found the FCC (Federal Communication Commission) in charge of conferring and rescinding US transmission licences for broadcast and cable, has, very unusually,  opened comment on Fox's licence renewal, in response to a public petition.

Fox News (!) as you know, has been purveying flat out lies, particularly about the 2020 election, has lost all its defensive court cases, and a petition has been accepted by the FCC to review its licence. I'm particularly incensed that it's the preset 24/7 station on American military bases. 

So while the milk for yogurt was cooling, I did my bit. As you see, it landed and I have the receipt


This is how I got there. You go to their website, follow the prompts and get to a place to create and send your comment. The docket is Fox.


I imagine it's open to anyone in the US. People are not aware, at least I wasn't till yesterday,  that they now have this unusual right to create their own comment on whether Fox should have its licence renewed or denied, and it's a significant first. 

This is a great chance for good people to do something! Please do. Kitchen table activism. Not many people know about this yet, judging from the numbers of comments filed to date.

In other exciting news, I think this post should have an excitement alert, might be too much for nervous people, I cut the base of the morning glory, after it stopped raining.

I retrieved the potting soil, which I'll remix for other plants, and when the morning glory has withered, it will be easier to remove.



and I moved the coleus out front for a while before it comes indoors to become a houseplant. I'll repot it in this bigger pot, using some of the soil from the mg.


Here it is in an arrangement with the Russian sage, failing a bit this year, after many years of domination.

And I found a new, very cute, physio online with exercises I've started yesterday, all about stretching and staying flexible, at this point as useful as staying strong.

The first was calf stretches, which I already do, so I'll continue. Then there's this great one for my neck issues


And a multi part approach to being able to get up from the floor

You can find him on YouTube, you see the name of his practice in the pictures. Another Australian, I think. I've got all the best physio help from Australia, seems to be the motherlode.

A sad goodbye last night to my entertainment center


My little white tv, still able to run video cassettes, and plugged in to the DVD player on the right, under the lamp, running my collection of DVDs and the current library borrow of Suits, is no more. 

It's about 30+ years old, and has been in failing health lately. Last night it gave a little sigh, switched off and there was a burning smell. Thank you old friend, yes, you did spark joy. Hours of it.

So I've ordered a portable DVD player, the kind with a screen, and I'll offer my old player on free cycle, because it's working fine, and find some way to dispose of the old tv. It's very small, so not a big issue.

I will also have a free surface, the top of the antique washstand the setup was on,  for stuff, maybe a table scape. TBA.

The stitching continues and this morning I got a great idea for the whole thing: instead of a backing, a fronting! A piece of fabric with many varied, organic shaped, cutout windows revealing all the blocks, reverse appliqued. This could be very cool, and it will  have sashiko stitching, attaching the front layer to the stitched blocks.

Anyway meanwhile


Here's where we are. The latest block is in progress.

Happy day, everyone, look out for incoming ideas, they're everywhere!




22 comments:

  1. Our neighbours have an awesome patch of Russian Sage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So did I for many years. It might be losing its oomph. Maybe a shot of vodka?

      Delete
  2. I've heard nothing about the FCC and Fox's license. You'd think it would be front-page news in the mainstream media. Thanks for letting us know.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pays to be connected! You'll rarely find anything about activism in the wealthy white male owned media establishment. When people claim they never use social media, I wonder if they know that's where the actual important news is to be found, read with caution and double checking.

      Delete
  3. If Fox is stopped, the ugliness will just crop up elsewhere. In fact Fox isn’t even lying enough to satisfy the most virulent among us. It sounds useful, but I don’t have much hope for anything to change.

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the FCC and Fox. You never know until you try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I lived in New York I used to watch DVDs on my laptop. Of course, nowadays Apple no longer includes disc drives in their laptops, so another device is needed! Technology!

    It would be AMAZING if the FCC revoked Fox's license. I wonder if I could petition as a U.S. citizen, even though I live overseas? In the long run, I think a better route would be to campaign for the reinstatement of the fairness doctrine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of my laptop's ageing was that it started dragging out the sound on DVDs. Or I'd be switching yo that instead of shopping.
      I don't know if overseas comments are accepted, because the form seems to expect US addresses. No harm in trying though.
      The fairness doctrine never applied to cable, so it would have to be completely rewritten to cover cable, used to be called narrow casting, as well as open circuit broadcasting.

      Don't get me started! In the trenches with that way back in public broadcasting. I know more than you want to hear!

      Delete
  6. I have a large Russian Sage, they are beauties. You are moving right along with the stitching. You got good use out of your little TV. It can't hurt to contact the FCC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the Summer of Reckoning for a lot of items around here, to wit, two fridges, one disposall, one doorbell, one light switch and now, getting in under the summer wire, one TV.

      Delete
  7. You have been very busy
    Yes we are very big on physio. Especially now as they have stopped prescribing opioids for long term pain. It’s all about movement and keeping as active as possible. Most days this is great. But on days when the pain is really bad I cry for some real pain pills. I think they have gone too far the other way and people are suffering needlessly. Hopefully the pendulum will swim back a little and a better balance will be achieved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that the Australian and NZ YouTube physios just seem very patient oriented, and more accepting of the frailty of the human body. I've known a couple of good US physios. but way too many treating older Medicare patients like assembly line oldies.

      Delete
    2. I just looked him up again, and found his accent is -- Surrey, a county around London. He sounded so Oz to me. Musta been away a long time!

      Delete
  8. Kitchen table activism. Love it. Better than constant bleating about the state of affairs but doing nothing.
    I didn't realise our physios were so good. Maybe I should seek one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The YouTube ones have been useful to me. And, yes, I get very tired of people whining then throwing up their hands, what's the use, all that. If it weren't for folks tackling the seemingly politically impossible, we'd be a lot worse off. I'd rather be in the well, I tried camp, me. But that's an immigrant all over.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the Fox heads up.
    I used to have that exact TV. My sister and mother and I watched it every evening while we did whatever handwork we had at hand. My b-i-l could not believe that was our TV; he campaigned for years for us to buy a BIG TV like he used in his TV room. We used that little TV for close to 20 years, and then it died. I replaced it with a flat screen a little wider but no higher. I couldn't find a smaller one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a few people have urged me to get something bigger, but I loved it. Small enough to move around as needed, ran video cassettes. Hooking it to a DVD player is a recent innovation! I have to wait till my new player arrives to continue watching Suits. I'm in withdrawal!

      Delete
  10. We had a stand-in Pilates teacher this week whose main interest is in teaching 'chair' exercises to maintain flexibility, strength and articulation for an aging population. Not many profess such an interest; most want to be in the glamorous part of the exercise market. I shall look at your physio links. FiL fell the other day and couldn't get himself up. It was a timely warning in some ways to keep doing the exercises, practice every day, have a plan....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have done exercises, and get bored after a while, so I look for different ones with the same purpose for older adults. This physio is my latest find. I notice I was already doing quite a few of his ideas. And he's very cute, never hurts.

      Delete
  11. LIke many things the 'kitchen movement' against Fox won't be publicized beyond the grass roots people such as yourself. Case in point here was the minimum security prison that was build locally a number of years ago. It was touted as being very safe because it was 'minimum security' (ie. 2 years, less a day) and that they would be hiring all sorts of local people to not only build it, but also run it. Funny thing - they contracted it out to a firm from the big city and then moved staff here from other jails around the province. And now, just like many of us were afraid of, it's become a maximum security. The policy for most jails here is that when an inmate is released he is given bus fare back to his place of origin. Well, guess what - whilst he/she has been in jail, their family and friends visit and discover that our town is a fine place to set up shop. Now the town fathers are in a dither because our crime rate has skyrocketed. Umm..some of us tried our best to stop it happening in the first place. When it was first being discussed those in favour went door to door eliciting signatures on a petition. If you wanted to vote against it, you had to physically go to the town hall. Needless to say most people couldn't be bothered and now they're the ones that are the most vocal about what's happening. We made sure we were firmly in the 'no' camp but sadly we ended up in the minority. We can but try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camel's nose in the tent approach. Making it difficult to vote no is a rotten tactic. I'm glad you took the trouble. Best we can do.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!