Saturday, August 26, 2023

Mancala, gloves, stitching and suchlike trivia

Yesterday my handyman/crafter/artist neighbor from across the street came at my invitation to collect herbs, and we had a long rambling conversation over herbs and what we used them in, news of his family, Handsome Son, neighbor's wife completing her doctorate, his mother stuffing ever more plants into her tiny yard, she can't stop, his daughter starting grad school at her employer's expense, wheeee, and his own current projects.

His main income is renovation and design of small properties, but in the course of that he's made contacts which bring him fine craft commissions.

Currently he's working on a couple of these, this isn't his, just an example


It's a mancala board, ancient game of strategy. He's commissioned to make them as official gifts to major donors to the local ivy League uni, the kind who get their names on buildings. 

They're a kind of unique gift for the person who has everything, because not only are they locally craftsman-made, they're made only from the wood of trees felled on the campus. The carpentry shop gives him raw chunks of cherry, oak, elm and other woods. The two boards he's working on are to be made from walnut, and he has a slab of walnut still with bark on, ready to cut down and shape, when it stops raining. He's also planning an inlay stripe up the middle of the boards, of another wood. 

After he left, with a bag of sage, Italian basil, Thai basil, lemon balm, curry leaves and chives, I spent a while outside under the butterfly bush. I was officially reading Barbara Pym, but really watching silver spot butterflies, little brown butterflies, various kinds of bees and a couple of clear wing hummingbird moths all at work. No biting insects, perfect.

In more humble art news, I finished that glove



And my neck is buzzing and fussing. Surprising that knitting, if all the things I do, is hardest on my neck. I need to make another glove though. And I have a sock under way, also for the sock 'n glove ministry. After that knitting rests again.

Here's the next stitched block in progress for the wall hanging. I do like planning and stitching these individual pieces.


Here's the next stage


I like the way you can use positive and negative space,  in making these units, endlessly interesting.

Back on earth, I had another mysterious household issue. Here it is, fixed by Gary in a mad rush before he went off to Florida for a couple of weeks.


Scene:  Downstairs bathroom. Switched on the light, little bit fell off the fitting, that bit at the bottom, like an edge. And the result was that the light wouldn't stay off unless I wedged it with a shim of cardboard. From the misfits box, to be exact.

I explained it to Gary, thinking I just needed a switch plate. He explained back that it was a bit of the switch that had fallen off, and he could find a matching one at home, since he'd replaced all his original switches for posher ones. Which he did. I held the flashlight. The cardboard shim is now recycled, and the switch works. 


Happy day, everyone, there's a time to stop shining your little light, too! But this one's always welcome.


Photo AC


20 comments:

  1. Never heard of mancala but the finished boards must be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're artworks, even if you don't play. It's an intriguing game, which I've played a couple of times.

      Delete
  2. I think I have seen that game somewhere, or something like it, but I for sure have never played it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a craze for it in the seventies, which was when I played it, someone else's board.

      Delete
  3. Yes, that board is a piece of art, no need to know how to play, but it would be a bonus. Gary is a keeper! It's a good thing you have making that doesn't hurt your neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, like loving chess pieces and boards, player or not.

      Delete
  4. I wonder why knitting is so hard on your neck. extended period of looking down but looking down comes with anything you do with your hands. must have something to do with the constant repetitive movement of knitting, hands connected to neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the constant tensioning of the yarn, to make a good fabric. Every other art has tiny built in rests, knitting keeps all the tendons constantly at work up through the arm to the nape. It's my yarn holding side that gets the strain. The other side is fine. I routinely work on pillows keeping my head upright, arms supported, which also works fine for other fiber arts. Except spindle spinning where you're looking up and across mostly.

      Delete
  5. For some people, working with wood is definitely an art form. I guess that goes without saying. But there is that fine appreciation of the wood itself that adds to the love of the work. My grandfather had that. My husband is learning it.
    Whenever you tell us that Gary is going away, I get a little anxious thinking- But what if she needs him? I know you have other neighbors and HS but still...
    And I know you will be fine.
    Not only are you a fast stitcher, you are a fast knitter! Lady, your hands must fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a little pang when Gary leaves on a trip. But Michael the all-talented and a lovely guy, is right across the street. He just doesn't insert himself into events the way Gary does. But remember Gary will be in your state, in case of Moon frog emergencies!

      Delete
  6. Oohhh you have just inspired me to make a mancala board. I cut down an Oregon grape bush today - tumeric yellow wood. None big enough for that board but it will make an excellent inlay on some damson wood i can scavenge up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures on your blog when it's made, please.

      Delete
  7. I have a Mancala board almost exactly like that one. Bought it in a kit and played it with second, third graders in the '90's. The kit came with a small bag of stones. About a month ago a friend and I got the game out and played a number of games. We then added an extra stone to each cubby to make the game more challenging. That made a difference. We're talking about a 65 and an 80 year old! I recommend it; a unique, fun game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A busy day to be sure. It’s lovely how your neighbourhood all share and hell one another. I live in a neighbourhood like that. A lovely neighbour noticed our shed door open and she knew we had gone away for the weekend so she sent me a pic and asked if it was supposed to be open. I told her we were home and hubby had opened it and thanked her for checking. It’s nice to know we are being looked after.
    Take it nice and slowly with the sock and gloves. Only do ten minutes a day and then do something else to give your neck a rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great advice about rationing the knitting. I tend to get engrossed and forget to stop.

      Delete
  9. That looks like an interesting game but I'd like it simply for the artistic look of the wood itself.
    Gary to the rescue once again - that man is a treasure!
    As for knitting - obviously you should only do a row or two at a time and then call it quits, just to save your neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be good if I were capable of stopping knitting! I get in the zone..

      Delete
  10. Your puzzle had been puzzling me and I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it (I really do need to get a life) and then from out of the straw roof that is my befuddled mind the answer came to me. And then I slept.
    Go easy on the knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great clue! Yes I'm trying. I stitched today, no knitting.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!