Friday, August 4, 2023

Misfits, bonus skirt and nature sightings

Misfits arrived yesterday, with an unexpected bonus. They had accidentally packed hake instead of the cod I'd ordered, so they refunded me. They can't charge for an item I didn't order, so I get bonus fish, which I expect I can use happily.


 Yesterday's walk yielded all kinds of bonuses, including the discovery of a mass of cherry tomato vines tossed into the trees. Does it count as foraging when you come home with a handful of cherry tomatoes from abandoned vines? 


And this little late-season baby blue jay shouting up a storm, not able to get loft to fly away when he saw me



I left quietly, because the parents were probably nearby wanting me to leave so they could feed the baby. He still had the yellow around the beak of a very young bird.


And on to a newly growing fungus, I'm guessing chicken of the woods. Those fallen trees are so rich.


Here's a garden specimen, huge and much redder in real life than seen here


And while I'm waiting for the heddle, I found myself making a pleated skirt, here the first fitting. 


And a closer view of the soft pleats, which I did by guesswork, and the waist fits,  surprisingly. I just made the tie which will thread through the waistband, then I need to hem it and I'll have definitely my last skirt of the summer. Well, after I make a side seam pocket, that is.

Happy bonus-filled day, everyone!




25 comments:

  1. Awww, poor blue jay! This does seem late in the season for a chick to be fledging. Those tomatoes were a lucky find! Wonder who tossed the plants, or did they grow from seed?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoever grew the tomatoes did this last year, too. I had quite a haul. I think they grow from plants, probably from the farm. This is my free tomato supply!

      Delete
  2. Ooh. That swamp mallow is gorgeous! I do love the hibiscus family members. There are so many.
    From what I just read about Hake, it is indeed related to cod so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Bonus!
    Speaking of bonuses- those tomatoes! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibiscus!! I couldn't think of the name. This one's the pride and joy of the corner neighbors. I've had hake before, another white fish that flakes, similar to cod. I just fancied cod but not a problem.

      Delete
  3. What a cute little bird. Hake is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have heard the racket! I wonder if the hake will make a good fish pie. Hmm.

      Delete
  4. Whoever is throwing away the tomatoes is a fine blessing for you. I think hake costs less than cod, so it wasn't an even exchange, one fish for another. They are good about refunding mistakes. You've mad a couple of nice skirts. I haven't worn a skirt or dress in over 30 years! No shorts, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't worn skirts for years and suddenly felt like it. Definitely in this torrid weather we've been having.

      Delete
  5. Wow a great day I say.
    Bonus fish and tomatoes
    I’m thinking they fell out while someone was carrying them home.
    Those pleats look perfect. You have a good eye. I’d have to measure and measure and definitely pin. And then there will still be one that is wonky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tomato vines were a huge heap about ten feet across, couple of feet deep, cleared out at the end of the season. They still had pounds of fruit, but I left a lot for the birds and animals.

      Thanks for the pleat appreciation. It did work out pretty well. I expect it's with making a lot of art, you don't think about measuring so much, just go by feel.

      Delete
  6. Am all around good day; the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a curious way to get tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If the fish is free you’ll be hoping they make mistakes again! Kudos for leaving the fledgling Blue Jay alone. Far too many well- intentioned people take young birds home to try to care for them, but as you point out the parents are generally close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've intervened when neighbors have been longing to interfere thinking young birds have fallen, when they're actually learning to fly. Often the best thing a human can do is nothing!

      Delete
  9. Boud, I think it counts as wise when you came home with a handful of cherry tomatoes from those abandoned vines. Maybe these will go good with the hake? as someone one else commented, it doesn't seem like an "even" exchange, but then you said there was no charge so then it worked out in your favor. Hope the young jay's parents tended to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the baby bird was okay. And I can think of good ways to combine hake and tomatoes.

      Delete
  10. what a nice find re the tomatoes. I think it qualifies as foraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty high end foraging. Close to dumpster diving, suburban style.

      Delete
  11. The tomatoes look good. Good foraging.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely counts as foraging in my mind - good find. And good for free fish too, even though it wasn't what you wanted. Hope the blue jay found his wings and got to a safer place.
    As for the skirts, I'm sure you'll find them much cooler to wear. I practically live in dresses all summer - preferring maxi length if I can get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skirts are new to me this year, but I think I'm a convert.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!