Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Textiles and Tea, peaches, rug in progress, stitching in progress

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea featured a cheerful, all the textile people are so happy, multi textile person who describes herself as a dabbler. More like a dazzler, with great output from dyeing to spinning,  award winning weaving, sashiko embroidery, knitting,  enameling, to a serious original study of the fiber from the American bison. Take a look








She's a popular teacher of weaving and spinning, too. 

Meanwhile back home, the rug is cut off the warping peg, one end now woven in while I watched Textiles and Tea.


And later I worked on the current stitching block


 While the cleaners were here yesterday, I read in the library, and went around the square to admire the new fountain, a circular garden with water. It's imaginative.



Then on the way home, I stopped by the farm, and bought plum tomatoes and peaches, wildly expensive hence the small haul.



 I had a great cheese and tomato sandwich for lunch, and the rest of the tomatoes will go to sauce.

I have a policy about fresh picked farm fruit -- if it's really good to eat, it's best just eaten. If not,  okay to cook it. I tried one peach, okay, sweet, but not memorable. I'll use the rest to make Mary Moon's Peach Thing.

I picked up my new reading glasses this morning, so that should help with the stitching. I forgot to put them on to write this, though.. new habit to get into.

Here's a quotation from Fresh Water for Flowers

Happy day, everyone! Hope you can see clearly today, in every sense.





20 comments:

  1. very nice circular garden and fountain. I thought it weird when I saw the picture of the rug that you left fringe on only one end but I see there will be no fringe. what are the dimensions of the little rug? Pat Maley seems much like you, a finger in everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was showing what I'd got done during textiles and Tea. See yesterday for dimensions. Pat seems like a great person to be compared to, thank you!

      Delete
  2. Peaches this year from the grocery stores have not been all that great. Juicy seems to have left the building.

    Beautiful rug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peaches are sweet but the texture isn't very good. Also they're starting to go already, so I'll eat them while I can. Not a good year for peaches.

      Delete
  3. I do like Ms. Maley's work. The denim jacket work is right up my alley.
    Are you going to add any other fruit to the peach thing? I'll be interested in seeing how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rethinking the peaches, going too fast to cook, but I'm going to make the peach thing at some point with notpeaches of some kind.

      Delete
  4. The rug looks good. I am the owner, mostly, of my own time. It is a luxury. I am overrun with tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomatoes are your cockatoos, sought after and expensive in one place, overflowing in another.

      Delete
  5. I love that quotation about the luxury of owning one's own time. It's the greatest joy of retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fresh tomatoes ripened on the vine make the best tomato sandwiches
    I will often just eat them out there while harvesting. Just like an apple
    Last year’s tomato harvest wasn’t brilliant. I’m going for smaller types this year hopefully I’ll get a bigger harvest and won’t have to resort to buying a box for preserving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite tomato is Roma plum, prolific, nice to eat raw or cook. The farm grew a bigger variety this year.

      Delete
  7. We’ve begun to harvest tomatoes from our garden. Not much of a crop this year but tasty just the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything home grown and eaten promptly is tasty.

      Delete
  8. Owning one's time is a hard thing to get used to after a lifetime of someone else telling one how to spend it. I am slowly getting there.
    I like your philosophy regarding farm grown (or any grown, really) fruit and veg. As long as it gets used and not sent to landfill which an horrific amount is, as I recently found out after watching a really good documentary on waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people have a learning curve about time once it's not dictated by a job or family.
      I am all for using, not wasting.

      Delete
  9. I like the fountain! And your policy about farm-stand produce seems sound. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could have got better pictures of the fountain. I needed to be a bit taller.

      Delete
  10. A self-described dabbler - methinks that particular moniker suits you as well. I like the thought of being the owner of one's own time. That's something I have unconsiously been doing as I've learned to say no to so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my pursuits follow logically in various ways. Dabbling is aimless. I would not use that term. I'm surprised she did, so disparaging.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!