Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Textiles and Tea, and a timely thought

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea was a many generation southwestern weaver, Emily Trujillo, who not only weaves rugs as modern takes on traditional designs, but teaches, researches, and keeps up the knowledge of her family's long traditions. 

Many of the traditions and history are oral, and in danger of being lost without people like Emily keeping them current.  They work in wool, formerly churro, but now in the wool from other sheep breeds as well, since they're available.











The program was shot at the family gallery where she works with her parents, to make and sell their  traditional and modern rugs.

Yesterday I overdid some gardening, took out the last of the day lily foliage, several armloads, and hauled it in several trips to the trees to toss. The place looks better, but I was so tired I fell asleep several times in the afternoon, including during Textiles and Tea, but I got the gist. Last night I had to get up for ibuprofen to fix the gardening pain in my legs, should have remembered that earlier. 

Today I planned on another bit, removing the morning glory, to make a pathway to the ficus,  which has to come in soon, but it's raining. This is probably good, stops me from overdoing it again. 

I did arrange with Handsome Son to help when it's time to bring the ficus in, because that involves cutting the roots she put down, possibly root-pruning and replacing soil in the container,  then wrangling an eight foot tree across the deck and the threshold into the living room, into her saucer. Up to now I've done it solo, but I think this year I'll get HS on the team.

Stitching is progressing too slowly to show you anything, but here's a bunch of flowers.


And a timely reminder


We're not all in this together, as I used to say during the pandemic. I  took issue with my regional library putting up cheery we're all in this together tweets. 

I made them stop bragging about their library staff's great performance. They were all kept on salary and benefits, working from comfortable homes with their families. No, not in it together, but rather very privileged.

After I pointed out rather forcefully that a lot of people were frontline workers, dealing daily with the public before vaccines appeared, in jobs that couldn't be done from home, and were only paid for face time, including Handsome Son,  they toned down the rhetoric. 

As did a couple of librarian friends who had been so sheltered they never thought they were lucky. Ordering in food -- who did they think was picking, packing,  delivering? And so on. 
Anyway, I don't claim never to have failed to notice my privilege, guilty, too, but trying to do better.

Happy day, everyone, I hope for the safety of the people in hurricane paths, and ask you to check in as you can, so we know how you're doing.




18 comments:

  1. You really are a force, definitely not a do nothing person! We are not all in this together. As far as the rain, I'm glad it made you take a rest day. How ever did you drag an 8' tree into the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ficus is tall but slender, not all that heavy, just awkward round corners. I think we should all be as forceful as our personality allows, and that is a wide range.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the reminder about privilege this morning, Boud. I needed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't meaning to preach, really thinking aloud.

      Delete
  3. interesting patterns in the weavings, I liked the 'landscape' best though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too. The geometrics of southwest weaving aren't my favorite designs, though their skills are terrific.

      Delete
  4. When, you put it that way, I am not sure that we are all even in the same storm, but I get your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all see our own struggles, particularly health issues, and forget how different other lives are, through no fault of theirs. I try to remember this more than I do.

      Delete
  5. I’ve always loved the beautiful woven blankets and rugs. Probably why I got addicted to the mosaic crochet. It kinda looks like it’s been woven not crocheted.
    Overdoing is my hobby. When I feel good I work like a Trojan to get it all done before I crash. But then if I took it easy I might not crash. Kinda like speeding up to the fuel station when you are low so as to get there before you run out. Only problem going faster means you burn fuel faster too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like knitting faster so as not to run out of yarn!

      Delete
  6. These are some beautiful rugs. I like the last picture of three working on rugs. It seems they are doing finishing weaving of the edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're learning the craft. But they might be part of the workshop.

      Delete
  7. I am glad you are getting Handsome Son to help you. You don't want to be prevented from craft due to injury!
    I like your sentiment about all being in this together. The ones who spout that do tend to be the ones who are safe and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, those textiles are magnificent. She's marvelous. And yes, there are so many who do things we don't even think about and it was all the more during Covid. And it's back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those rugs amazing. Some hers, some in the gallery shot her parents'.

      Delete
  9. Some spectacular weaving and interesting to see the more modern take on some of the pieces.
    Glad Handsome Son has voluneered for the fiscus wrangling caper. Much better than the thought of what could happen to you on your own.
    Of course you know I love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you get the fallacy of the same boat saying! I think getting Handsome Son helping with the ficus will feel good to him, doing something helpful for me. People like to be called on. Up to a point.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!