Sunday, August 20, 2023

Hardanger, applique, fast food, and tea

While I was pawing through materials in search of the Tunisian crochet hook, about which more later, I found this sample of hardanger I stitched yea these many years ago.

I dyed it with tea to knock down the whiteness and age it a bit.

And here's where we are with the stitching


Some sashiko got in there. One more block and that's the first of three columns completed.

Meanwhile upstairs the rug is coming along. 

I'm seeing the end of the supply of roving now, which, as much as the warp length, may dictate the size. The wire needle is okay, but a bit flexible, so today I'm going to use one of my long Tunisian crochet hooks to draw weft through, and we'll see.

Handsome son visited yesterday for tea, card, present and plum crumble on the patio, lovely afternoon. When I mentioned the rug, he instantly said how will you make it nonskid, joining the chorus who are convinced I'm going to crash out and break something as soon as I step on it. I think I'll stitch some of that nonskid shelf lining to it.

Later Gary presented me with a bunch of fresh cut celery, the stems of which are a bit bitter, but they're now in the stock bag in the freezer, while the leaves are also bagged and frozen for future cream of celery soup.

Caro, this one's for you, fast food for lunch, sharp cheddar and foraged tomatoes on toast, romaine side. 



With the hand hemmed napkin formerly lost under the old fridge.

A couple of people were unfamiliar with the honesty plant whose seedpods I showed you yesterday, so here's more


It's a pretty flower in spring, then lovely seedpods later.

Happy day, everyone, and when a recipe says cups, tablespoons, etc, they're statutory measurements, not just whatever spoon or cup you have lying about! This has come up in rl and online. It's the English language getting everyone all confused again. 

Enjoy your Sunday,  well, Monday for some and go Spain!! First time winners of the World Cup.  What a day for them. Close, tense match. Class play.
,



31 comments:

  1. Lovely crochet work. It's interesting what we find when we are shuffling through things. You have moved right along with both projects, you are enjoying yourself. Thanks for the info on the Honesty plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stitched whitework, drawn thread work. I have quite a few small embroideries in various modes, made for various purposes. This piece was framed and exhibited.

      Delete
  2. I love honesty! We grow it in our garden every year. (Somehow I missed your earlier post!)

    Glad people are looking out for you re. the potentially slippery rug. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely can't forget about household hazards! Dr glauckenflecken does a hilarious bit about the physical therapist visiting his own grandma -- nana, little rugs everywhere! Your house is a DEATHTRAP!

      Delete
  3. is there anything you haven't done or put your hand to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a kindred spirit. I'll give anything a try once. Love that rug.. I haven't tried rug weaving so maybe I should give it a try .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be the North Yorkshire effect! Is that Roseberry Topping on your bio page? I lived in walking distance as a little kid.

      Delete
  5. Never tried Hardanger - snipping out bits without snipping the stitches sound too fiddly for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You withdraw threads first, before stitching. I like drawn thread work a lot. Ymmv!

      Delete
    2. Oh thank you for putting me right. Still sounds so complicated!

      Delete
  6. I knew it, but looked it up to be sure. I know 'Hardanger' as a fiord in Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure why but folks around here treat Honesty /money plant like a weed, It has become more difficult to find on my walks. As well as Japanese lantern! Crazy!
    Your hardanger required so much skill and patience! I am in awe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tends to grow among weeds here and that's why I like to rescue and rehab seeds. It's a lovely flower.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and thank you for the nice words about the stitching.

      Delete
  8. The rug is beautiful and that first stitching - hardanger? - is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as if you're unfamiliar with drawn thread work, if which hardanger is one kind. At my convent school our first real sewing project at age 11 was to block, design,then cut out a sewing apron with a big front pocket, the hems all done with hemstitching, a kind of simple drawn thread work. I liked the whole project and the drawn thread work. I went in doing it on any bit of fabric I could find. I loved it.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work, Boud. Hardanger dyed with tea is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea's the secret weapon of people wanting to make blinding white work look a bit antique. I expect it was discovered when someone knocked her tea over and decided to just go for it!

      Delete
  10. You stitched that hardanger? Oh my goodness! Beautiful! And you must be one of the fastest hand stitchers ever- that wall hanging is coming along so quickly and beautifully.
    Good idea on the rug and the non-stick backing. Rugs can be perilous for people of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if anyone with Nordic roots would like that piece of hardanger? Here it was sitting in a drawer!

      Delete
  11. The rug reminds me of ones my grandmother had in her kitchen. But hers were huge. All the grandchildren, there were 13 of us. Would sit on it while the parents all sat on chairs talking and drinking coffee.
    Thanks for the honesty plant information. I’d totally forgotten to Google it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great picture of you all in your grandmother's house.

      Delete
  12. I love the honesty plant, but never had any success in growing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You hardanger has reminded me a project I have somewhere and I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the craft. I shall have to go and dig through all the boxes in the garage and see if I can find it. If not I will have to wait until the build is finished sometime next year!
    The rug is looking lovely. Will you be felting it? My teacher said that is what holds all the fibres together but you would know all about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on a bit of felting, I think. Just to lengthen its life in use.

      Delete
  14. The rug is looking great. Methinks there might be more of those in your future.
    The stitching project is looking intriguing too - the colour choices are great fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This rug is very hard work, heavy and difficult to navigate the big heddle. I think one's enough. Also I only need one. I like making the color choices in the stitching.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!