Thursday, August 24, 2023

Underfoot rug, gloves, and nostalgia, retirement

 Here's my childhood view, a walk from where I lived as a young kid


Captain Cook was  a local, from Great Ayton, before he went to Whitby, to sign on as a cabin boy, at age nine. 

 The underfoot rug warps are now woven in, my least favorite task, and it needs to be washed and dried and backed. I found the backing I'm using, nonskid shelf lining.


Cosy winter setup, with the English paper piecing pillows, say that fast.

And I'm happy to get to some long neglected knitting, a sock and a glove both started. Knitting is harder than anything on my neck, so I needed to retire it while I wove. But I'm back. The Sock 'n Glove Ministry returns.


And the stitching continues, now into the second column of blocks. Two more didn't fit into the picture at the top.

I can't do any of this during my evening Suits viewing, because I need the captions. Those guys rap out brilliantly funny lines at warp (!) speed. I can't listen that fast.

The comment about owning your time, from Fresh water for Flowers, which is a wise and well written book, seems to have struck a chord. Retirement, for people who've been employed by other people, does seem to present issues beyond not having to set an alarm. As a person who's been self directed for most of my working life, in my own enterprises, this is mainly a matter of observing others rather than my own experience.

One of my neighbors postponed retirement year after year on the grounds that she couldn't afford it. Last year she admitted that she could easily afford it, great pension plan etc., but the fear was what to do with her time. 

This summer she retired, and her time has been totally occupied by the furnace breaking down in a heatwave, replacement needed, large patio door delivery postponed over and over, one of her cats chronically ill, it's been all go. Not the fun she'd hoped for, yet. 

I wonder what the winter will bring, since she doesn't make projects, no hobbies, doesn't travel. Her job consumed all her energy. I think it will be a journey. She might surprise us with new interests.

That's one thing that serves people well, having lifelong interests that they now have more time for, rather than waiting to retire to try their hand. It's really hard to acknowledge being a total beginner in a project, after decades of being an expert at work. 

I've seen it over and over in art. People expect to have great facility as beginners and are dismayed at the reality, also at the focus and persistence required. More than one student has said, but when I watched you, it looked easy!  They do eventually find their feet, but it takes a while.

Happy day, everyone, enjoy whatever's on for today, and be glad you're not running for office. In the UK, they talk about standing for office, in the US about running for it. Illuminating!






22 comments:

  1. What a beautiful view you had as a child! I think that may be part of why you've grown up to have an artist's eye. I see so many of the same colors in your new rug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think your childhood landscapes, or cityscapes, seascapes, stay with you for life.

      Delete
  2. I love doing and learning new things -- "beginner's mind" is like being young all over again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great attitude to learning. I agree with the thrill of new learning.

      Delete
  3. An underfoot rug? Aren't ALL rugs underfoot, unless of course, one hangs them on the wall as art, and then they become wall hangings, not rugs. I am sorry... I have not had my coffee yet and sometimes, my humor goes a little wonky. I had just never heard the term "underfoot" rug before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because I made it up to describe a rug literally small enough to rest just my feet on when the cold weather chills the floor.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is a beautiful place. The purple is striking. I had a self-directed life, but it was also dictated by the needs of the horses, so there was no actual freedom, but lots of satisfaction. Your neighbor may find her way to volunteering after the calamity calms down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been retired for more than 20 years and have never had a problem filling in my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my point. You had interests before retirement. And you have a partner and family. She's not blessed like you. Single parent, daughter far away.

      Delete
  6. Lovely post, things to think about. Good words about art taking time.
    I notice over the years, doctors, lawyers, business folks with good paying careers, give it all up to become an artist. They have the funds, studio space and clout network that those who rise through the ranks don't have the privilege of. It remains a wonder to me that maybe I notice them more than the articles about struggling artists.
    Talent is talent just as hard work is hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end though, all that matters is whether you have a vision, and that's quite different from just wanting to be an artist. Some do.

      Delete
  7. Where did Cook get that adventurous spirit I wonder? He sure got around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a stunning picture. The heather wasn’t quite in bloom when I was there. But you could just see it starting.
    I keep telling my husband he needs to find a hobby before he retires. But he won’t listen. Although I have got him doing more of the gardening. And he says he enjoys that. So I’m very happy to let him do it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good idea, Angela. You're always occupied with interests, and it would be good if he can develop some, too.

      Delete
  9. That heather is spectacularly purple, and there are echoes in your underfoot rug. Glad your neck feels well enough to pick up the Sock 'n Glove Ministry again - judiciously.

    I'm on the Hold list at the library for "Fresh Water For Flowers", thanks to your recommendation. After retirement I leaped into volunteering a bit too vigorously, and found others again the owners of my time. It took a couple of years to find the balance between 'doing for others' time (which I love) and 'doing for me' time, which took some practice. And that's not to mention the 'doing for us' time, which can be a struggle to fit in. But it's all working out, somehow.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, once people know you've retired they tend to assume your time is for their use. It can take some disentangling, even when you like the project. For a lot of women, deciding what they want for themselves then going for it, id a novelty.

      Delete
  10. It is so important to have something other than work. I think that's why men struggle when they retire - I know some women do as well but we seem to lead more diversified lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think so. One of my friends worked one year longer than her husband, so as to make him create his own life in retirement instead of instantly expecting her to run everything for him. It worked very well.

      Delete
  11. I can see making more of those little rugs and joining them together.
    A little aside re time and use thereof...I always caution people I know who are freshly retired to watch being over committed. It seems that others smell the freshly retired and think you're at loose ends and really need them to fill your hours until you're busier than you were when you were working. Now my automatic response is 'no' (leaving the window open to change my mind if I choose to).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This rug is exactly what I need. Also it used up most of my roving. So I'm not planning more.

      The assumption that retired people have nothing to do is similar to the assumption that people who work from home can entertain visitors any time! No, in both cases.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!