Thursday, August 3, 2023

Heddles ahoy, and other vital things

 Yesterday while deciding about a rigid heddle purchase, I organized this sheet into the makings of a skirt and top, see left and right, ready to stitch. 


Then I took the plunge and ordered one of these, a 24" rigid heddle, 10 dent, useful for many ideas I  have percolating

Gary, whose travel plans changed yet again, only away for a couple of days now, brought over his crown of thorns. I now have four plants visiting. Not hard to add them in to the flower corner for care. 

This plant is a descendant of one I gave him and showed him how to propagate by planting its prunings back into the pot.



And, since the weather is beautiful for out of doors sitting under a tree, here's my anti bite array. The fan helps blow off insects trying to come in for a bite, and the anti itch stick helps with the situation if they get through anyway.


In other vital news, here's what I finally noticed this morning, while my muffin was toasting. Not only is my toaster oven bilingual, which I had noticed, from setting it at grillage to toast, but it's bimeasural, too, f and c, clever thing! Only took me a year to notice.


And here's your bouquet


Happy day, everyone, in any language!




21 comments:

  1. I remember my aunt having a Crown of Thorns when I was young. I don't think I've seen one since. Gary's is certainly healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty hardy plants and since they're a cactus, they can survive getting dry.

      Delete
  2. So glad you're getting that new heddle! I know you will be putting it to use!
    I have that same fan by my bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another by my bed, too. I actually gave away the heddle with the loom, because I didn't think it was right to keep it back. So now I'm replacing it. But I'm buying from an indie toy and weaving tool maker.

      Delete
  3. Hope you don't get too bitten. I always seemed immune but as I've aged I've obviously become tastier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always, every country I've been in, been the one who gets bitten.

      Delete
  4. Another useful from a sheet! I'm glad for you that you decided to order the heddle. It will make you happy. You have a very Nice setup for lounging on the deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never crossed my mind to consider that the heddle would make me happy! Early operant conditioning -- you're not on earth to be happy etc. Yes, it will. Thank you for overturning that old mantra.

      Delete
  5. No only does the fan keep the insects away. Keeps you cool too. And that’s a win in my books
    A lovely place to relax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I find a lot of products, and produce, are labeled for the North American market, whoever makes them.

      Delete
  7. That is a particularly nice bouquet!!! Simple but great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Montauk daisies always show up well.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Not bad, eh? It tends to work better on the windward side. Smart bugs learn to bite on the other side!

      Delete
  9. That's very exciting about the rigid heddle loom! I don't know anything about them so I'll be very interested in how it goes. I was lamenting that my new little sewing room has no space for my floor loom, when a friend offered my a table loom she doesn't use. I'm ecstatic to be weaving again! Sneak peek - I've republished my fiber blog - https://leighsfiberjournal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very glad to hear you're reviving the fiber blog. I'm going to use the new heddle like the small one, with my backstrap setup.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!