Saturday, August 19, 2023

Needles, potatoes, honesty and various other passing thoughts

At this point, the rug is advanced far enough up the warp to make weaving too tricky by hand or shuttle, not enough headroom in the shed. So I thought I could use a needle for the last section. Only I didn't have one big enough to accommodate roving.

So I made one. This is an old beader's trick. When you can't find a beading needle fine enough to navigate the bead, you make one out of fine wire. I thought that would work for big sizes, too.

Here's the result. A loop of wire, ends wrapped around the middle then taped, to avoid snagging the warp threads, big eye, the rest twisted for better strength.



And threaded, ready to go after I finish this post


The stitching is progressing, bit by bit


Some of these may be overlaid with sashiko, but I think I'll do that after assembly into a hanging, to unify the piece.

And out in nature, the field part of field and fen, I found another handful of abandoned cherry tomatoes, and swiped some twigs of honesty growing outside a neighbor's fence. 



It's grown to weeds, so I think the original gardener has moved out and it's okay to do a bit of gardener's larceny.


Left, seedpods, middle, seeds, now bagged and labeled, right, beautiful silvery inner membranes to add to my dried flower collection. I plan to plant the seeds to try restarting my own honesty plant which faded away after a few good years, don't we all.

On the subject of gardening, I dug Gary's potato harvest, fewer than expected, but welcome anyway


And here's some flowers. Since I noticed a hummingbird and butterflies at the zinnias, I've slowed up the picking, not wanting to disappoint them.


Handsome Son is visiting this afternoon for a cup of tea, a helping or two of plum crumble, a birthday card and a little present folded into it. 

Happy day everyone, I wish you a good day, despite the cold, or wet, or blazing heat, whatever you're getting today. Here sunshine, temps in eighties, breeze, very lucky campers.




21 comments:

  1. You are so clever! You always figure it out. I don't know what an honesty plant is? The flowers are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lunaria annua. The flowers are a purple color, then eventually you get these lovely seedpods. Also called money plant and moon plant for descriptive reasons. I remember it from childhood, and really like having it around.

      Delete
  2. Ah! Great idea, using the wire as a needle of sorts. I like it!
    Those potatoes will give you some meals and that is good. I've got a few plants sprung up in the garden, no doubt volunteers from potatoes that didn't get dug up. Glen says, "Pull them. They won't do anything this time of year." I won't though because who knows? Maybe we'll get a few little ones. I love your found cherry tomatoes. I bet they're sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The found cherry tomatoes went into a lovely imperfect (!) sandwich with cheddar cheese. Favorite combo. So many things are my favorite, like the dog in the joke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It warms my heart to hear about your creative endeavors...if it's not one thing its another. I think I tried to grow seeds like that once, and they didn't germinate...perhaps they are the kind that need a bit of slice into them. Not an expert though. Hope your plants continue giving you and pollinators joy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be you got seeds that had been overheated or irradiated (anti-anthrax precautions, our PO did that for ages after the anthrax attacks after 9/11), and not your doing at all.

      Delete
  5. Sunshine here after days of rain. Time to be outside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your homemade needles has an eye big enough that even I could see to thread it, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. spent yesterday afternoon working with Jade on her quilt we are refurbishing. so that's my bit of sewing. more to do today. pliable wire is an essential tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used wire for all sorts of purposes, art materials, tools, everything.

      Delete
  8. Looks like my potato harvest. They are tasty though
    I don’t know what an honesty plant is. I’ll have to Google
    I love how you improvise. I’ve had to do that many times over the years. Keeps the brain working.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, the rug is nearly done. I can't wait for the big reveal and how you treat the fringe.
    I haven't seen honesty in years - I'm not even sure I have seen it here in Australia. I shall have to check as it brings back such happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't decided about the fringe yet. I have to consider the tripping possibility. I love honesty from seeing it in childhood and having an older sister tell me its name.

      Delete
  10. Our zinnias are very popular with bumblebees and butterflies, so I too harvest selectively. The hummingbirds here favor beebalm (sharing it with bumblebees) and hummingbird mint (Agastache).

    The leaf wall hanging is developing nicely.

    Fresh dug potatoes are surprisingly better than stored ones.

    Happy belated birthday visit with HS :-)

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the hummingbird that really got my attention about needing to leave some flowers. They don't bother with the daisies, so I pick them. The birthday visit was belated by weeks, but nice anyway.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful zinnias, but I'm glad you're leaving some for the bugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've observed how they love zinnias I feel I have no right to pick them!

      Delete
  12. Sometimes I wish all needles had such big eyes (particularly when I'm attempting to thread the machine with invisible thread).
    We used to grow honesty and I always brought some indoors for over the winter. (btw - I've been appreciating your floral displays)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honesty and statice are the two dried flowers I really like.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!