Friday, August 18, 2023

Misfits, stitching and spuds

 Yesterday's Misfits box was small but good. I didn't order potatoes, because I was expecting a local supply.




I ordered the Imperfect Foods multigrain bread to check it out. Turns out it was classed as imperfect because it was a little bit lopsided! Otherwise fine, as you see, breakfast toast


Beats me why the normal shape of baked goods won't be acceptable to stores, but oh well.

Speaking of breakfast, I usually have half a pita with greens and fruit, often spinach and blueberries. Here's a variation I liked, dried cranberries with a leaf of  romaine that fitted into the bread, very pleasing.



About the potato supply, Gary hauled this over last night, for me to harvest. 


I'll do this in a while and show you tomorrow. Likewise weaving which I haven't got to yet.

But stitching is moving along, just a pleasure to work small on individual sections. Here's where we are to date, planned and designed, ready to stitch


and completed, waiting to be eventually placed


and here's the next one, still in the thinking stage


I like this color combo quite a bit. 

There's a lot of Albers style color thinking here, colors changing dramatically when they're next to different others. 

If you don't know this blog but love embroidery, especially whitework, take a look. She doesn't post often but it's so worth waiting for. Fils et Aiguilles,  meaning threads and needles, that order works in French better than needles and threads,  written in French with onboard English translation




I think this designer whose directions she was following Hiroko Takeuchi, is the artist who designed that calendar I showed you each month last year.  

Happy day, everyone, Gary fixed the doorbell, turned out to be a simple fix, not buying a new one, after looking at wireless, easily installed ones. Hoping  your problems and doorbells have easy solutions.






26 comments:

  1. I love all your hanger panels! Hardanger embroidery was a craft option one year for us in 4-H but I didn't undertake learning it because it looked so hard. Beautiful end result though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering your abilities in rendering images, I think you'd be a good hardanger stitcher.

      Delete
  2. Glad the doorbell was an easy repair! I always think it's ridiculous when food gets discarded for not being "perfect" and the flaw is so small -- often too small for the average person to perceive. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with the apples this week, perfect size, quality, maybe just overstocked.

      Delete
  3. All looks lovely. On Fridays we have leftover breads form Marks and Spencers for Zac's. There's loads so today I brought one home with me: a cranberry and pecan loaf. Oh it's yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds appropriate, that you also get fed.

      Delete
  4. hardanger - so tedious! So lovely! My Norwegian folk take it in stride and I marvel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a bag of Misfit potatoes which looked perfect to me. Whatever…the price was perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, if the flaw is invisible to the buyer, fine. It's silly, but we do get the benefit of discounted prices.

      Delete
  6. I'm going to love your wall hanging.That is really intricate embroidery, beautiful. Being a misfit myself I appreciate a little imperfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the beauty of asymmetry. Thanks for the encouraging words.

      Delete
  7. I had a beautiful hardanger table scarf and had no idea what it was. I don't even know where I got it. Linda Sue saw it in a picture I'd taken in my house and raved about how beautiful it was. She has that Norwegian background. So I sent it to her! She has sent me so many lovely things. I'm very glad it's with someone who can really appreciate it.
    Every Friday I think, "It's Misfits Day at Chez Boud!" And so it is again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the hardanger is in a good Scandi home.

      I think people start looking for the misfits box. When I started showing it, I thought people would yawn and scroll politely by. But it's triggered some really interesting and thoughtful comments. You never know.

      Delete
  8. Glad your doorbell was an easy fix.
    I don’t understand this idea that food should be all the same size, shape colour. Nature isn’t like that.
    At least it’s being sold and not just thrown out.
    I worry about the world. I really do
    Looks like your going to have beautiful fresh potatoes for your dinner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like newly dug potatoes. And I don't know where the Disheyesque idea of machine-uniform food ever came from. It's not about quality or taste, otherwise Misfits and Imperfect Foods and other similar outfits wouldn't exist. They cater to people who want flavor.

      Delete
  9. I like the color combinations as well. Your project looks interesting.
    Happy Potatoes! National Potato Day is tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great timing by the national potato people.

      Delete
  10. I was silently bemoaning the frustration of planning and cooking for only two and my brain said "Liz creates the most amazing meals and she is only one". So I shall endeavour to channel my inner Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you have the benefit of imperfect food. and your doorbell was sorted so easily. Thanks for the tip about Spam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might find interesting ancient comments in there.

      Delete
  12. It's not like the lop sided bread wouldn't fit in the toaster for example. I like the colour combos on the next two samples lined up. I sprayed Mr T's cardboard sculpture with matt sealant but it has changed the colour slightly and reduced the contrast between outside cardboard and the corrugated interior. So it's sealed. Now to work on a frame design.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been able to understand why people are so insistent on their produce (and bread!) being perfect. It all tastes the same. Oh well, it's your gain through Misfits.
    I love the look of Hardanger but I'm afraid I'd manage to cut something I shouldn't and mess up hours of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cut before stitching. The hours if work come after the cutting.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!