Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Leaves in progress, Misfits quirks, and soup

 I've been on an Alison Weir trip, with this rather dry history


and this much more lively historical novel same characters


Between shopping in the freezer and making soup.


I used up a couple of quarts of homemade vegetable stock, plus the cooked butternut squash and most of the carrots from the freezer to make this. Since the weather had dropped to the 80s f. I rationalized that it was soup weather. 

It's a favorite meal, with pita bread toasted with sharp cheddar, as seen here. 

And the wall hanging is starting to take shape, here with a couple of blocks tentatively in place

 
current blocks close up, top left in progress


I love working on one block at a time, completely engrossed in the intricacy of it, working in hand. You can see the size from the measurements on the cutting block they're resting on.

The little open work yellow leaf on the blue leaf is the same one as the orange insert under the yellow leaf, just cut with more detail.

I do like modular, in art and gardening. You get to continue designing as you go, many chances to change and reorganize. I've made some big artworks consisting of small components.

My gardening is similar -- containers beat planting in the ground for me. I do both, but I know which I prefer.

I notice a new Misfits quirk. It used to pay to order as soon as the window opened, because they would sell out so quickly. So I'm in the habit of checking in promptly. 

But now I'm finding most produce  labeled sold out even before I get started, within minutes. This week the entire fruit section was sold out. Nothing to buy. So I started my list anyway. The window is open for a couple of days before they close it and charge you. Then I had an idea, went back in later. The whole fruit department was now stocked.

I think whoever opens the window is faster than whoever stocks the shelves! It's like unlocking the shop door while they're still running items onto the floor. 

I had a similar situation years ago, when people still did bank operations manually. Every check I wrote one month on our local country bank, into which my husband's salary was deposited, was bounced.  Written a  full day after the deposit. 

I hared in and demanded the manager explain and grovel. He explained that the lady in charge of bouncing checks was faster than the lady in charge of posting deposits! 

I made him write and sign a handful of letters  explaining their blunder, for all the people now charging us for nonpayment, and swallow the fees for me.  He did all this but was noncommittal about my suggestion he switch the ladies over to avoid this kind of snafu.

Misfits is simpler, just wait  a day!

And if there's anyone still wondering about the dad riddle, well, if he had a  widow he'd be dead! So it's unlikely he'd marry her sister. Many times people start up figuring the degree of  relationship, the law etc., reading widow as wife!  Not our sharp blogistas, nooo.

And justice continues to roll down on tfg. Georgia is the most likely to be crushing. He can't get out of state charges even if, God forbid, he gets reelected. Between the New York, the Florida, the DC and now Georgia charges and indictments, the walls,  I pray, are finally closing in on him and his gang.

Happy day everyone! Continue to take care, covid is still around, though not in the news.




25 comments:

  1. The wall hanging is gorgeous already and it's still just barely started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is going to be an amazing wall-hanging. I believe I am going to be borrowing some of the basic ideas of this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! Ideas are to share. And let us know where it goes.

      Delete
  3. The wall hanging is going to be really good. You are moving right along with it. Can't the governor pardon on state convictions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia has a law specifically precluding that. Based on past governors' abuses. Other governors can.

      Delete
  4. I too have hope for the state charges in Georgia. It's fun and inspirational to read about you projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to watch and wait for justice. Meanwhile, I can entertain blogistas with projects.

      Delete
  5. I can't remember whether I actually answered the riddle here, but I did it in my head anyway. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you were maintaining a discreet silence, not wishing to dwell on widows!

      Delete
  6. It looks like Waterloo is in Georgia these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope so. Have you noticed how many black women are bringing justice to tfg? Not forgetting Alvin Bragg, too.

      Delete
  7. I'm ready for the trials to start! and it's nice to know that, god forbid, a republican gets voted in at the next presidential election, the Georgia indictment is one he can't be pardoned for. at least not until he serves his full sentence and then waits five years before being able to ask for one. quite fitting that all the prosecutors bar Smith are black. don't you know that chaps tfg's ass big time.

    those colorful squares just waiting for the right time. in my mind I figured they were 6" so a little smaller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia is definitely our saving point. They already rescued the Senate in the great runoffs.

      Delete
  8. The wall hanging is going to look so colourful and will brighten any room you hang it in.
    It’s funny about the banking system. My cousin worker and I used to do manual batching of all cheques deposited at our branch. One day we were told to leave it to the juniors so they can learn. They were too slow so we had to step in to catch up.
    We went so fast we blew the machine up!
    It was an awkward conversation with our boss that afternoon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have thought workers too fast for the equipment would be a plus! Expensive though.

      Delete
  9. I was hoping for a small weaving update. However, I totally understand complete immersion in a wonderful new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because I was sorting roving and thinking! That's part of weaving, but I thought it was a bit dull, no pictures.

      Delete
  10. Are any of the leaves you are using as templates able to be dried and added to the hanging?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not part of the artwork st this point. I've moved far on from the original concept shapes. They've pretty much served their purpose as a springboard. Maybe in another work that idea might come up. I've noted it, thank you.

      Delete
  11. I think your idea of swapping ladies is a wise one. Mm, butternut soup. Nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have such good ideas. If only people would take them, everything would work better..

      Delete
  12. I worked in a bank for years and it used to amuse me no end that people would think that the minute they wrote a cheque that it would be off their bank account. Then they'd come in asking for their balance which of course would be skewed because there were often still cheques out there that hadn't cleared. THEN they'd come back in raising holy h-e-double-hockey-sticks because they'd gone ahead and written MORE cheques and then wondered why they ended up overdrawn. I suppose in these days of debit machines there's less chance of that happening.
    There ought to be a law that HE can't run for office when he has so many outstanding charges against him. Doesn't appear as though that's the case and on our news they were saying that he could run from a jail cell and STILL become president. There's something wrong with that system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my less numerate friends used to say she kept track of her balance by seeing how many unused checks she still had. Seemed to think there was some magic that would make money available until she ran out of checks.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!