Wednesday, August 2, 2023

A big loss, a big win and there's always pasta

Yesterday came the sad news of a real loss to New Jersey. The sudden death of Sheila Oliver, first black woman elected to statewide office, first black woman to serve as Assembly Speaker, first black woman to become Lieutenant Governor. She was serving as acting governor in Governor Murphy's absence on vacation, at the time of her death.


 

Then, the big win,  there was another indictment of tfg, this one the most serious yet. This is the most significant legal event of our country's history, a former President charged with conspiracy to overthrow the democratically decided presidential election, destroying our rule of law. His plan was to subvert the certification, then bring in troops, invoke the military powers act, and become dictator.


Meanwhile, quietly at home I spent a great afternoon outside with Handsome Son, neighbors chatting over the fence, birds, butterflies, first tiger swallowtail of the year, tea and walnut muffins.

Lunch was shopping in the freezer, pasta with spinach, chard, scallions and the last of the Romaine lettuce. The Romaine of the Day..with grated parmesan and crumbled feta.


About the weaving, I'm considering getting a bigger rigid heddle. This is not cheap, but I rationalize that the money I will be refunded for the shoes I'd ordered that turned out to be out of stock, will cover it. Or something. Domestic economy at its finest.

There may be a speed bump in the weaving, though, since we've entered the allergy season, and right on time my eyes are swollen and scratchy, not helped by handling wool roving, but we'll see.

And I'm sorry to say the comic credit card account correspondence has now been handed to a grownup woman, who wrote to say all is well, account now correctly funded, thank you and have a nice day. Spoil sport! 

Happy day everyone, stay calm and centered in this rollercoaster time. 



23 comments:

  1. Trump is evil and the sooner he's in jail, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack Smith was not fooling around and the judge appointed to the case was appointed by Obama. I made spaghetti for dinner last night with the tomato sauce I made earlier, onions, mushrooms, and Italian sausage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even some Trump appointed judges haven't sided with him. Other than Cannon, that is. It's heartening when a judge upholds the law no matter who appointed tgem.

      Delete
  3. The Trump indictment is good news, but sadly, I'm not sure it will do a whole lot of good. The man could be convicted and in prison and his supporters would STILL vote for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to outvote them if it comes to that.

      Delete
  4. I simply cannot get excited about a new indictment. I mean- six years ago if something like this had happened, I would have been screaming, "Hallelujah!" but now I just shiver and wonder at how so many of DT's followers do not care one bit whether or not he tried to overthrow the government. And knowing that even from jail he could be elected is an even more horrific truth. I think we are in for even harder times. But then, I was never known for my optimism.
    I am sorry about the death of Sheila Oliver. A loss for her family and for the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oliver was a great barrier breaker, yet another black woman I'm endlessly grateful to and for.

      Delete
  5. I read about Sheila Oliver yesterday. She was a powerhouse. Trump simply cannot get away with this. He just cannot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was wonderful. It's been a big shock, since she was ill only a day.

      Delete
  6. You time outside sounds lovely! I swear I can sense my blood pressure decrease when I am out in nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't surprise me if there were a measurable decrease. I'm so happy to have my little patio with all the stuff blooming away.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry about Sheila Oliver - she sounds like a wonderful person who left far too soon.
    As for Donald AH - there are no words left to say about him. He'll weasel out of this too, just like he has with everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray he doesn't. But we go and lose a wonderful person like Sheila Oliver, way too soon. Tain't fair!

      Delete
  8. We only win in the long run at the ballot box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true. For the last few years, the fight has been over vote suppression, and that's the current big struggle.

      Delete
  9. I can’t believe after all the time spent in court he isn’t in jail yet.
    The man is a slippery as a can of eels!
    I feel for you. Allergies suck. I pretty much live on antihistamine tables durning spring and constantly have a packet in my bag. Because if I don’t get on it quick enough I end up having to epipen myself and end up in hospital

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yrs, you can't tough it out with some allergies. But I have a better medication now than I used to, helps more with the itching and tearing.

      Delete
  10. The chickens are making their way home to roost.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But apparently that doesn't stop him standing for President?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a movement to disqualify him from running. I've signed on to it. The framers of the constitution didn't take into account purely evil people. A lot of trust built in, which has worked, up till now.

      Delete
  12. The trial is all over our papers here.the result will be crucial. Democracy at stake. Glad I am not professionally involved in politics and can switch off sometimes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a long drawn out nail biter. Fortunately there are several cases in the offing, more bites at the cherry, to mix metaphors.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!