Thursday, August 17, 2023

Rugs, mysterious night noises, freecycle, Suits, stitching, otherwise nothing happening

 This is the Rug's Progress


I don't know about abs of steel, I think steel shoulders are needed! But it grows fast.

And at the other end of the spectrum, stitching is happening


The color is a much warmer pink than here. The. camera evidently picked up the blue tones. Anyway it's blanket stitching reverse applique. Which is one of the mountain range of many hills I will die on.

Blanket stitch edges blankets with a smooth turn of the thread at the fabric edge. Buttonhole stitching is worked in the opposite direction, with a half knot at the edge.  They are different, because different functions. 

Blanket allows for a comfortable edge which doesn't irritate the sleeper. Buttonhole creates a tight row of knots to withstand the wear and tear of buttoning and unbuttoning. Another hill I will die on is whipping and the difference from whipstitching. But I'll climb that hill another day.

Meanwhile, Gary and freecycling continues. This was claimed almost before I'd finished posting it, pickup this morning.


And here's the latest from Josie George, a writer  I follow on social media and via her substack newsletters


She's well worth your attention.

As is Suits. I may need a long break after the two seasons I have in DVD from the library. It's intense. 

Speaking of which, suddenly late last night, my wall began to vibrate and emit a loud noise, including a slomo dinging noise. It also felt warm. Enter Gary, at an urgent call from me, after I established it wasn't smoke alarm, water, appliances.

One look and he said it's a short in the doorbell. Took off the wall-mounted  cover and disconnected a couple of wires. The noise and vibration stopped and he's going to do the next step today.

I'm guessing I need a new doorbell, gah.

Happy day everyone, free of things that go bzzzz in the night






31 comments:

  1. Crikey that weaving is growing fast. The doorbell thing sounds a bit scary - not a fire hazard at all was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it was, hence my late night call to Gary. The wall was warm..

      Delete
  2. I learned how to do blanket stitch and buttonhole stitch in 4-H nearly 60 years ago. Never used blanket stitch in real life, but did use buttonhole stitch for the buttonhole of a skirt I made the next year in 4-H. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought 4H was about raising rabbits and chicks! That's about all I knew of it. Domestic arts, too, then?

      Delete
    2. "Back in the day" in rural Canada, 4-H for girls involved our choice of sewing, cooking, crafts or public speaking. 4-H for boys involved raising a calf to sell at market. There was only one girl in our town who raised a 4-H calf. No boy ever signed up for the girls' courses.

      Delete
    3. I think you need to write more about your childhood. The glimpses I've had are interesting.

      Delete
  3. The weaving is progressing well. Love it. The stitchery too. You are so creative, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Gary to the rescue. You are progressing quickly with the rug.Let's leave that mountain range you may die on alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, there's never a dull moment at Chez Boud! Good thing Gary was home and able to come to the rescue.
    Can't get over how fast the rug is growing. It's going to be very cosy for your feet in the winter. Just be sure to put something anti-slip on the back to keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary likes to be first responder. There are two other neighboring friends, both very handy, who would come. They like a bit of rescue work. So I'm blessed. Considering handsome partner would have been useless in this situation, it wasn't a case of wishing he were there!

      Delete
  6. A short in the doorbell? Now THERE's an obscure problem! The rug is looking good and I'm glad you've had takers on the freecycling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly couldn't have diagnosed it. But since the wall was heating up, I feared a wiring fire, so I called in the cavalry

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness! I'm so glad that you heard that noise and realized that attention needed to be paid!
    Rug coming along nicely. And now you have me realizing that what I do instead of blanket stitch is indeed buttonhole stitch. Or is it? I am so confused right now. Whichever one it is I use, I use a lot. And now I've just googled them both and realize that there are different types of blanket stitch which I am interested in doing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thr noise sounded like drilling in the wall, couldn't have missed it.

      I'm glad you're trying out new stitches after reading in here. That's great to hear. I know you've always liked a bit of embroidery, dating back to hippie days.

      Delete
  8. I love that rug! It will be so warm underfoot this winter. I also am impressed by your lovely selvedges. They are difficult to master, as you already know, and with hand dressed roving getting them so even can be a crap shoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really appreciate this, from a skilled weaver like you!

      Delete
  9. The colors in that rug are perfect together. How are your shoulders-not-of-steel holding up to both weaving and stitchery?

    Thank goodness you have several first responders, as a hot wall and all those noises could have developed into worse.

    A motorized tie carousel. Well, I'll be, as my great-aunt used to say.

    Chris from Boise

    PS Thanks for reminding me about Bimblings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shoulders are not sure about wrangling this much bigger heddle. They're OK with stitching though, very lightweight.

      I was amused by the tie carousel. I just hope the recipient doesn't have cats. Perfect cat toy, once they learn to push the button to make it move. And scratch the ties as they come around..

      Delete
  10. Gary has some interesting things to freecycle!
    That rug is going to look so good when it's done. As will the wall hanging but the rug is my favourite. Beautiful and functional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the weaving is more your favorite, yes. This rug is going to be so welcome in winter.

      Gary is an aspirational shopper, always buys the best, often changes his mind! Some of these unopened items were gifts to him, too.

      Delete
  11. Lucky you noticed it. I’d hat to think what would have happened if you weren’t home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite exciting, but it's fixed now.

      Delete
  12. The rug looks great! I love the colors. What are you using for weft? I'm got some rugs in mind for weaving soon myself.

    The doorbell incident must have been odd. No fun having to replace anything these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you scroll back you'll see pictures of what I'm using. It's roving, used as is, unspun.

      Delete
  13. Cripes, I never knew doorbells could act like that! Ours I believe is about 50 years old and keeps going uncomplainingly. (Having said that I expect it will break tomorrow )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one's about 35 years old, and I expect it finally demanded to be noticed. It's now fixed.

      Delete
  14. That rug is fantastic. I adore the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm looking forward to using it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!