Friday, September 1, 2023

White rabbits, Edith holden, Misfits and great fits

 White Rabbits! And Edith Holden's take on September


And an entire habitat built since yesterday. I disturbed the little spider when I moved things, so evidently she got right back to work undaunted.


I hate to remove it again.

And here's the underfoot rug, backing in progress and in action.




The nonskid backing works fine, you'll be glad to know. This is shelf lining, which I cut and pieced to cover the back, easily stitched on. I'm happy with it, very cosy, and this morning was in the low 60s, so it's timely. Next week heat returns, the last blast, as always, after kids are back in school.

Misfits yesterday brought good and bad food




As you see. There's a chicken in there somewhere, too. I've fallen into the habit of having a glass of parsley or cilantro or both, in water in the fridge. Here's parsley.

They keep fresh for ages and get into all kinds of  sandwiches and other meals. Likewise a box of baby spinach, stays good and gets into meals easily, so I don't puzzle about  greens in my diet. Making it easy is good. It's like leaving your music stand set up so you're more likely to play.

Speaking of which, my whistling is coming along. My tunes are almost recognizable now.

I don't think I'll save the world today, unless something urgent crops up. More like deciding how to use my Suits time while I wait for the new DVD player. That's how the rug got finished. And I think knitting a bit is good. Maybe that second glove.

I'm also waiting for the player to watch the DVD of 56Up, the next to last of the 7Up  series. It was a reality tv kind of experiment, where children aged seven were interviewed about their lives and thoughts, then the same people were revisited every seven years, wherever they were at that time..  63Up was the last before the death of its creator, Michael Apted. 

It's interesting and poignant to see the group aging and how their plans as kids worked out or didn't, or even changed for the better. It's marred by some prejudice and silliness by the interviewer Apted-- asking a bright, clearly enterprising young boy from the East end of London if he expected to end up in jail, or asking kids they had a boyfriend or girlfriend.  They were not in touch as a group after the initial meeting to establish the series, just getting on with their lives.

The Londoner tackled Apted in 63 Up about that jail question, and forced an admission that it was prejudiced and really inappropriate to put to a little boy of seven. 

I noticed that at 14,  when the youngster became an apprentice jockey, a great opportunity, Apted asked so what will you do if you don't make it? In fact he had a racing career, then went in to found and own businesses.  But what a blunder to ask that, almost the definition of trying to create a self-fulfilling prophecy. He evidently seemed to assume a working class kid couldn't succeed. No negative questions to the privileged kids, I observed.

My hero was the sturdy little Yorkshire boy who, asked if he had a girlfriend,  said I don't answer that sort of question! Aged seven and knew his own mind. He went on to a distinguished scientific career, but sadly died in his 50s. He emigrated to Madison Wisconsin, and became a full professor. The scenes of his interviews there are familiar to me, since I lived there for a couple of years. 

It's a social picture, largely of how lives are permanently affected in that society by the accident of birth. I wish the interviewer had been more astute, and in later times he did realize how he'd fallen into stereotyped thinking.

Some of the great passages are kids talking about their theories of religion and God, some fantasy in there at younger ages, but very thoughtful. I wondered if people in their everyday lives didn't ask their opinions, and if this was a novel experience.

Did any of you see any of the series, and come away with an impression? 

Happy day, everyone, cool and sunny here, and I wish you good weather, too. Soon, anyway.




33 comments:

  1. You have a healthy diet. Keeping it simple is my way, too. If you decide to save the world, send me an email and I join you. Very nice on the rug, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting to read in your post about the interviews taken to the same kids (on thoughts, beliefs, plans) every 7 years by Michael Adept. Despite prejudice and stereotyping in the questions, the series has great educational and social value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think there's value, and it wasn't staged, so that's a big difference from later reality TV.

      Delete
  3. Such a great idea to make your rug a safer place to set your feet. Great looking misfits haul this week! I need to start putting my cilantro in a glass of water. Thank you for that advice.
    I've heard about that 7 Up series but never watched any of it. What a fascinating concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skidproofing was the result of a certain amount of pressure. Now I'm thinking of doing likewise to my bedside rug.

      Delete
  4. That 7UP sounds fascinating. It would also have been interesting to have a series that asked the same (barring the clearly prejudiced ones) to 7 years olds a generation later, and even a generation after that, and compare how 7 years olds and their views and expectations have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. I wonder if any academics are doing longitudinal studies like that, aside from the ones they do in medical research.

      Delete
  5. I've always meant to watch that series and I never have. I really should do it. I think the 7-up boy who became a scientist at Madison just died a few days ago?

    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/28/movies/nicholas-hitchon-seven-up-dead.html

    Another show I've always meant to see is "An American Family," with the Louds. Haven't watched that one either. Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was Nicholas. That's what brought it back into the news and reminded me to catch up.
      I did watch An American Family, the Louds. It was pretty tacky, more exhibitionism than interesting, to me. They had little original thought, but were a good looking group. Worth a look, to see if you like it better, though.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to see if "An American Family" is even available anywhere. I think I looked some time ago and couldn't find it, but someone is probably streaming it now. (PBS, maybe? I think it originally aired there.)

      Delete
  6. I hadn't heard of that 7Up series but it is an interesting concept. I wonder how they chose the kids initially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hit or miss. They were film people, very little idea of social structures. They completely missed the importance of including girls -- only four, none ambitious -- kids of color, none, mostly south of England, except for one Yorkshire farmboy, their rural one. Extreme ends of the spectrum socially, boys of the one per cent, boys from the poorest district in London.

      They have said they regretted their inexperience, since what was supposed to be a one off went so well they decided to continue. Then they were stuck with their choices!

      Good idea, and I hear the concepts been revisited recently, but I haven't seen any of the new series.

      Delete
  7. I like that rug, the colours really appeal to me. I watched 7 UP and also find it very interesting. It was a revolutionary idea and I did wish that some of the kids had continued with the show. I was tremendously interested to see how their personalities developed as they gradually shed some of the attitudes they had had at the age of seven, which would have come right from their parents. Most of them were pretty nice, I thought, at the end. I guess they did not continue after 63, now you mention it. I think they should have done really. It was such a unique opportunity to get glimpses of the aging process. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they all continued? I may be mistaken. Michael Apted died, which is why it stopped at 63up. He'd wanted to go on indefinitely.

      Delete
  8. I remember seeing a few of those when I was younger. I loved the idea but the interviewer was very rude. Even when I was very young he annoyed me.
    Sadly they stopped playing them, maybe they had finished the ones they had and were waiting on the next seven years. But I never saw any more. I remember the first few were in black and white.
    Or maybe I was imagining it. It was a long time ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he wasn't very respectful in his approach. The second series didn't go well because they were now 14, teenagers, didn't want to talk! Maybe that's why you didn't see it.

      Delete
  9. Interesting series. It will good to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on DVD. The very last one, 63up is streamed.

      Delete
  10. That foot rug turned out very well. As for the misfits box, that bag of chips will be soon gone, and then no more bad food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not very big, either.. There may be a supplementary shop run if Handsome Son does come over.. Just sayin..

      Delete
  11. I loved the series and, from an historical perspective, the interviewer's questions and prejudices are, in themselves, an accurate (albeit sad) reflection of society at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the earliest ones when they first came out, and there was quite a bit of criticism of the interviewer's assumptions even then. He was considered patronizing and rude to the northern and working class kids.

      Delete
  12. I saw a wonderful video of a man whistling, accompanied by an orchestra. Incredible! He did trills which were unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people are virtuosic. I have quite a way to go.

      Delete
  13. We recently watched a few of the 7Up series, both the earliest and a couple of the later ones. DVDs from the library. It was an interesting concept, but we too, from our 2023 perspective, were put off by the interviewer. Sparklingmerlot has an excellent point about him reflecting the times - I will revisit my judgmental thoughts.

    The nonskid backing of the rug turned out well. I still love those colors.

    Thanks for the whistling update. Glad to hear you are continuing.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series has certainly been a focal point. And the whistling continues!

      Delete
  14. I have never heard of the 7Up project but it has to be an interesting social commentary. I've heard of people taking the same photograph every few years - actually not too long ago I saw a time-lapse video of a family who posed in the same way every year. Wish I could remember where I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a (fiction) movie called Same Time Next Year, about an annual motel meet up of a couple. Alan Alda and I forget who played the woman. Not a very good movie but a great opportunity for the makeup crew to show their skills at aging the actors' faces and hair.

      Delete
    2. I think it was Ellen Burstyn - I remember seeing it years ago.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!