Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Textiles and Tea, stitching, peppers and flowers

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea featured installation artist, weaver and indigo expert, Rowland Ricketts. He explores the ecology of growing and using indigo, acknowledging its  terrible history in the US, involving enslaved people forced to work it, and the comparatively benign Japanese history of the plant. He studied in Japan, and now teaches and exhibits in the US. 

Here's some of his  work, huge installations, recalling clouds,  mountains, grain silos, and sometimes including the raw plant installed on its own wall, to illustrate the journey.











Back to my own humble work, the stitching is so satisfying. I don't know when I've enjoyed handling fabric more.



The sashiko stitching here is done more loosely, so as not to sculpt the fabric, this being a different idea from the earlier ones.


And note the precautions as I processed the latest Serrano peppers. The seeds are wonderful on spaghetti, worth the effort. But I'm proceeding with caution.

Flowers from the patio. The daisies are over, but zinnias and marigolds are still going. The hummingbird and butterflies have mostly departed, so I feel free to pick now.


The balsam flowers are going to seed, so I'm hoping for many more next year


The Haggard Hawks puzzle from a few days ago -- I  found two answers, but I think the second is the official one

SICKDAY

JACKDAW

Did anyone find another?

Happy day, everyone, I hope you win your race, or bet






28 comments:

  1. looks to be a rather young guy to have accomplished such large installations but I do like his work. pretty flowers. my zinnias are long gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I am loving your stitchery! So unique it is!
    I wonder if there is an answer book for the HH puzzles? When I first looked at that one, I thought "sickday", but, when I googled it----as I do every answer I come up with, I discovered that in every instance I could find, it was written as two words, The only times it was one word, it was being used as the name of a company or product. So I gave it up and never got back to it. I think that's probably why "jackdaw" is the better answer. 😝. Maybe I would have found that had I pursued it more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered, too, if sick day was a phrase rather than a word. I think the answers are only on local radio in ne UK. He does have a book of puzzles with answers, not sure if this one's in there.
      Thanks for the kind words about the stitching.

      Delete
  3. He does beautiful work. Wise, very wise...the gloves. The cartoon got a laugh out of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that cartoon! All primed for some sort of race, then lateral thinking showed up.

      Delete
  4. I like Rowland Ricketts' big, bold designs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a contrast to his diffident, soft spoken presentation.

      Delete
  5. Wise to use the gloves with the peppers. Love your flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I believe people when they say handle peppers with gloves.

      Delete
  6. So much eye candy here, Liz. From all that beautiful blue fabric to your gorgeous flowers! I've never handled peppers hot/spicy enough to need to wear gloves. I'm impressed by people who do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to hot peppers being tiny and red and fierce. The Serrano peppers are green and friendly looking!

      Delete
  7. Oh my god. I LOVE that cartoon! I would show it to August who is really interested in cartoons now and having me explain why they're funny but I don't think that it would be appropriate. Which is sad because he would get that and he would laugh.
    Your stitching is so neat and tidy! Mine looks like...well, like maybe a drunken five year old did it. But it's colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great panel! I was thinking granddaughter K would get it, but the language, while appropriate for the cartoon, isn't really for an eight year old.

      Remember I set my first stitches eighty years ago! You have catch up to do.

      Delete
  8. Balsam this year are crowded out by the ferns being taller than ever before.
    I leave seed in the ground, and save some in envelopes.

    The indigo fabrics are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful indigo work. I tried indigo dying just once. It was beautiful, but I had such an allergic reaction, that was it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Powerful stuff, I guess. Indigo dyeing is one thing I haven't tried. No available location for the process.

      Delete
  10. I think that little panel is my favourite yet. And I did enjoy the giggle at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's moving much faster than I expected. I love the cartoon!

      Delete
  11. Seems like there is a dark history to everything. People can be so cruel.
    The stitching looks beautiful. Hand stitching is so very relaxing I find.
    Hopeful soon I’ll be able to show you lots of pictures of flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to your flowers. And yes, there does seem to be a dark side to so many otherwise beautiful things.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful flower arrangement. And I love that big blue almost circular installation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that one very much. It recalls the Midwest landscape, too.

      Delete
  13. Your posts are feasts for the brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great thing to come in to. Thank you!

      Delete
  14. Your stitching is really beautiful and developing the shapes even further now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!