Sunday, September 17, 2023

Painting may be back, groups, and Bert's gardening practice

Yesterday there was a question about getting into groups such as knitting groups, and getting through the first meeting. I think my best experiences have been with library-led public groups, less cliquey, and with someone whose job involves keeping the group congenial.

I've most often been an early adopter or founder, before there was a group anyway, and the early people have to be careful not to try to control events as the group grows and changes, as it will. That's where the group leader can shine.

My current knitting group has a great blend of several cultures and ages and loads of talent, but, partly because the library lady is adept, it's not competitive, but very interested in what each other is making.  The group has changed a lot over the years, people moving  in and out.

I think if you're hesitant, just go to one meeting. You don't have to commit, just see how it goes. Then, next time, decide if you want to go again. Just try the water. And let us know how it feels. Pro tip: if you can't do the craft in question, get lessons or a workshop before you join a group. The group participants are there to play and chat. They didn't sign on to be teachers!

Meanwhile, the Sock and Glove Ministry continues



I wonder if this will look anything like a pair, or like an artful mismatch, looking at the color changes coming up

I moved the coleus into its bigger home, and added in some offshoots I'd rooted in water. It can stay outside a while longer, before becoming a house plant, when the ficus comes indoors and fills the living room with foliage.

 Then lovely D.G. Strong of Modern Daily Knitting went and wrote this today

And modern daily knitting is offering this, watercolor  equipment to plan knitting designs, wildly out of my budget, but good luck to people who can go there. It did remind me it's time to bust out my watercolors again.

I love his approach, rapid studies from life, no dead on arrival laborious copies of photographs, just a quick fresh instant take, the real deal of watercolor.


Despite the prices of Case for Making's handmade custom watercolors -- you build your own palette and they're experts with questions -- I did sub to their newsletter

though I've produced some quite acceptable, some now in collections, paintings, with this pretty humble equipment. Also some duds, but that's not the fault of the equipment.

Unlike D.G.Strong, for me art doesn't start with shopping! But more power to those who shop and keep art suppliers in business. And more power to D.G. for funny and brilliant writing.

And while we're thinking plein air -- outdoor -- painting and flowers, remember Bert the gardener, and his credo

Nearer home, here's the latest flowers, from the faithful zinnias and marigolds. Here's a great watercolor subject if ever  there was one.


Happy day, everyone, enjoy your tea and activity and even shopping, if it comes to that!





24 comments:

  1. The gloves are really good ! I have a pair -wear them all the time during cold months . Love the color that you used. -Linda sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of pairs I wear in the house in the winter, do useful.

      Delete
  2. It's good to see you knitting again. You don't get a second chance with watercolor. I like the whimsy of Bert the gardener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Celestine a great maker? All her creatures have character.

      Delete
  3. I need Bert! Glen and I are trying to figure out if we want raised, enclosed garden beds. I think we do but they are either very, very expensive or a LOT of work. Or both. Bert could help us out with this issue, I think.
    The gloves are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, make a cup of tea! That will help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish our libraries provided such a service! Granted, knitting is not so much a part of life here in hot Texas! Friends celebrate by trying to wear as much as they can in the few days when it's cool enough! You are so right about the cliques in groups. The group that was meeting at my house ultimately split. A few noisy, completely thoughtless people ruined what started out as fun. I think it interesting that the very same thing has happened with a friend of mine. Her cross stitch group became two groups. No leadership led to constant bickering. You do know whereof you speak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's better to have a public structure and a designated leader. Or a clique mentality can take over.

      Delete
  6. The gloves are beautiful! My former boss knitted me a pair of fingerless gloves so I could wear them while operating my camera. I love them.

    I've never had much luck with coleus indoors. I think here, where light levels are low in the winter, they suffer without supplemental lighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are quite a bit further south than you, so the light levels are higher, even though we're far north of your native Florida.

      Delete
  7. I've two huge coleus plants...and now you're letting me consider something inside for the winter...after the maples lose their leaves I do get great winter sunshine! Love the gloves, but my fingertips are where I get cold first...so will still have to suffer through taking one off to take photos! Yes indeed, I've started many groups, tried to encourage circular leadership, but the interest just goes elsewhere after a while. I like the Climate Conversation one I'm in now, where we switch leader every 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That moving of leadership sounds good. I find I'm happiest in groups which are about making, because there's always material to discuss. Other groups I've been in tend to have the same people saying the same thing, no matter what the official topic is!

      Delete
  8. I must get out my right hand fingerless mitten again. I wear it all winter when using my mouse, to keep my fingers warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I find that my hands get cold even in a warm house, too.

      Delete
  9. I love my gifted fingerless gloves and wear them a lot, they really do help. I've never had great luck with house plants as the three girls and Jacob liked to use the containers for litter boxes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats and plants are tricky. My cats never bothered with the soil, but liked to nosh on leaves. I grew spider plants, harmless to cats, some specially for them! They wouldn't eat kitty grass, just my spider plants.

      Delete
  10. I would love to learn to paint with watercolours. My favourite medium, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the spontaneous effect. Go for it! But don't go to a class where the teacher wants you to copy an image. Always work from life, or it isn't art. It's no harder to work from life anyway.

      Delete
  11. It seems to be a good group. I don't think our library does that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor did mine till I pushed. They have to have some assurance that it's worth the staff time. It's up to interested patrons to make it happen!

      Delete
  12. Your flowers are definitely hot strong colours. The gloves are going to be interesting, I would certainly wear a pair with those colour changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they look good, not too accidental. I'm counting on the blue reappearing soon.

      Delete
  13. I like your mitts! And I'm always happy when someone pics up a paintbrush!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!