Monday, September 4, 2023

Happy Labor Day, and other important issues

If you wonder why we celebrate the labor movement, and workers today


Brought to you by a daughter and mother of Union members, and a former member herself.

Yesterday the new DVD player arrived, exciting unboxing ensued



And, aside from accidentally getting the language choice into Chinese, I managed to charge it, find the buttons, make the remote work,  and get it going for a couple of episodes of Suits.

I also broke out some more yarn for gloves. 


This is a bit elastic, and will work nicely for fitting.

Then a lovely spout, on Spoutible, my social media home, early adopter, from the lady who explained about the FCC and Fox. I mentioned to her I'd talked about it here, to  interest people in making comments on the FCC website.

Whereupon she evidently went to my bio, and she got back with

 
There was a message to warm the old cockles! Someone who thinks I'm normal, yay!

Happy Labor day, if it's a thing where you are, and here's a very suitable puzzle for this blog.




On nights when I have the bedroom window open, the scent of the butterfly bush blossoms drifts in.

Celebrate everyone today!





19 comments:

  1. What you are is grounded and funny! You have a sometimes ironic view of the world which I enjoy. This is a lovely note. Happy Labor Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... Not to suggest anything naughty but..."boifun"? I suppose that would depend on what is being watched. Or perhaps I am just naughty at heart.
    What a very nice compliment you received from that lady! And she is right about your blog except that no, you are not normal. But I take her point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered that about the name. It's Chinese made, may or may not have a sneaky meaning!

      Delete
  3. "A welcome oasis of normalcy" -- words of high praise indeed! I can tell already that today's brain teaser will haunt me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm basking in those words! The brain teaser looks impenetrable at first.

      Delete
  4. I love that it looks like this DVD player can just go anywhere. Snugged on the couch, outside under the stars, just anywhere. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! No need to have a special setup or place. I really like this.

      Delete
  5. I too find your writing down to earth, insightful and funny
    We have our version of Labour Day but it’s at a different time of year. A works without unions is a very scary thought to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I'm a lifelong union supporter.

      Delete
  6. My father was an electrical engineer. He did not belong to a union, but he supported them completely. He taught me about a rising tide floating all boats. He worked for Goodyear Aerospace, and said if the unions got a raise, the white collar folks surely would, too. Unions forever. May they return in strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a big part of the economy. Important not to be at the mercy of the employer.

      Delete
  7. Love that wool. Let the knitting begin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for figuring out all the new technology, something that's never for the faint of heart. We finally got rid of our brand new DVD player because for the life of us we couldn't get it to work. It simply didn't want to play nicely with the tv. Or maybe it was the tv didn't want to play with it. Either way, it was a boat anchor so gave it to our son.
    The new yarn looks so pretty - not that I'm a fan of blue or anything of the sort!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible that the TV wasn't compatible, not your fault. I hope your son got it running. The yarn is funny, it's going to be yellow and black soon, wondering how that will look.

      Delete
  9. I am not sold on this 'normal' thing. 😁

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!