Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Fungi, begonias and stitching

A couple of days ago, I took these pictures of fungi and mosses on those fallen tree trunks, great place for them






Next day the yellow and orange ones were shriveled. Short lived. The storms knocked my butterfly bush sideways, but I've righted it and it looks fine now



and here's a pot with two kinds of begonias. They were several feet high, looking very scruffy and I cut them back all the way. They're outside in the shade of the butterfly bush, and making a comeback.


soon to come indoors,  when the ficus does. A couple more weeks yet,  since the weather's far from fall.

And I did get back to stitching, here with the current block, stitched in silk. Silk is the prima donna of threads, beautiful, difficult, slippery, demanding, but worth it.


Here the inner edge stitched in embroidery floss, the outer edge in silk



The dark pink shows up so differently in different lights. It's cerise, and looks very Indian with the fancy chartreuse stitching.

Here's where we are


Gary and little granddaughter came over the other day. She'd been visiting him, needed to shower, but he'd just finished grouting the bathroom, could she shower at my house? Well, of course! So he turned on the water to her preferred heat, and went home, because she could manage.

After her shower, she was looking at these blocks with interest, said she had a kit like that but hadn't tried it. Now maybe she will. She went off with a container of granola, new to her. 

So that was a nice interlude. I'm happy she was comfortable showering here, without her grandfather in the house. I know Gary has told both grandkids that when in doubt, they can come here. Nowadays that's quite a big deal.

Footnote to my 9/11 memories:

Up to then, I'd had a flourishing pet care service for 12 years, a lot of work, and an income I could live on. That day destroyed it. I had a lot of corporate clients who traveled all the time for work at short notice. One call to me and they were set to go. Many of them worked in and near the Towers, and some didn't survive, while corporate travel stopped completely for months. Others were transferred to a different city.

I had  vacationing clients also,  stranded all over the world, literally Alaska to New Zealand, frantically calling to find out if I was okay, and could I keep visiting until they made it home.  If course I could.

But after a month with close to zero bookings, I couldn't hang on and rebuild the client base. All  my frequent bookers, the real income stream, were gone, leaving only a group who only needed service for an annual vacation.  Not enough.

So I had to look for another way to earn, revved up my art workshop teaching and made a new living there, since I was known already, but now instead of a sideline it was the main thing. 

Pretty scary, to be honest,  starting  over in your sixties, but too young for Medicare and social security. I did own my condo, and I had to support several cats and birds and me, and somehow pay my health insurance. That took half my income, but I daren't go without.

On the good side, Handsome Partner and I, on 9/11,  decided to resume our relationship, life clearly demonstrated to be short, and we were a couple for the next ten years, till his death. 

I never depended on him for income, in case you wondered.  Heck, he was nearly as broke as me, his pet care business having gone, too.  I'd helped him  set it up after his health had forced him into early retirement from his research career. What a pair of hopeless cases! But life went wobbling on.

So in many ways, 9/11 was a watershed moment, where in many ways, life, for much of the world,  fell into Before and After.

Happy day,  everyone, I hope your After is good.





 

25 comments:

  1. Wow. 911 really was the point at which your life pivoted. It must have been so hard to adapt and change and carry on but of course you did. And I remember the story of you and HP "getting back together" because of the tragedy of that day. I think about that often.
    On a lighter note- I have never used silk floss but oh, I think I would love to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often review that period, but yesterday it was so pressing. Try silk and get back to me when you survive!

      Delete
  2. A personal turning point for you indeed. Some kind of silver lining in there, but I'm sure it didn't feel like it at the time. I like that you have a relationship with Gary's granddaughter. I have no young ones in my life and I am the poorer for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a fleeting relationship, but I treasure it. And she likes what I'm making.

      Delete
  3. the things that a person's life turns on. usually something completely out of our control. I've led a fortunate life. managed to make a living and raise a family as a working artist. we lived hand to mouth mostly, had months with no income on a fairly regular basis but somehow we managed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that outside events can completely change a life. As well as the moves we choose to make.

      Delete
  4. Yes, you're close to NYC aren't you? Somehow I had never quite thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By next day we could smell it. There was debris, including human particles, in the air. I remembered that smell from childhood and enemy bombing.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful fungi. Thanks for your reflections on 9/11 and how it changed your life. As Ms Moon said, a pivotal event. I will never forget that terrible burned smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what will be in my limbic memory forever.

      Delete
  6. Interesting reminiscences about how 9/11 affected you, your pet care business, and Handsome Partner. You are clearly resilient and resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to refer to the lost business as collateral damage, the renewed relationship as collateral benefit!

      Delete
  7. The stitching is coming along beautifully
    Do you have a special room for the plants to winter in. Or do they just get places around your home?
    Thank you for sharing your story about the aftermath of 911. I never even dreamed it could affect people like that. We were all so zeroed in with the death and destruction of the day and weeks, and the war, that we never even dreamed of what it had done to family’s businesses not directly connected
    It’s an eye opener

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plants are in two windows, the east facing patio door and the west facing second bedroom, on risers. That keeps the numbers down -- no room for more!

      The terrorist attack destroyed a lot that didn't get in the news, yes. It took a lot of resolve to recover from it.

      Delete
  8. I didn’t know how 9/11 impacted the income of people as you describe. It must have been scary to start anew. Well done, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It just goes to show what a strong person you are. I admire you for your strength and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. To me it feels like playing the hand I'm dealt. But that was nice to read.

      Delete
  10. I searched for days for a dear friend who lived in the city, a couple of blocks from the Trade Center. In finally found him, on vacation in France.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your attitude of "collateral damage/collateral benefit" is a credit to your outlook on life, Liz. And the stitching is coming along so nicely. I love your play with shapes and negative spaces.

    I bet you made a granola convert today. And yay fungus!!!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  12. What gorgeous lichen. I'm glad you captured it in photos. Thank you for sharing about your reuniting with your Handsome Partner. That sounds like quite the story, and just very heartwarming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd never been apart, but as just friends for many years, since our divorce, but this was a new commitment.

      Delete
  13. I'd never thought about those indirectly affected by 9/11. The whole period must have been traumatic. Your relationship with HP sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the smaller stories, like mine, seem less dramatic, and don't get into the news. But there must be many more people who, like me, had to start over. Our relationship changed and mutated as the participants did!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!