Thursday, September 21, 2023

Kantha embroidery, hippie food and freecycle

 Yesterday the Philadelphia Art Museum presented a marvellous program about the Kantha embroidery of Bengal. This week Hindus celebrate the god Ganesh and the birthday of Lord  Krishna. They didn't mention this but I expect Indian listeners were aware of  the season.

Kantha is a women's family-centered art, stitching shawls and blankets for home use and birth ceremonies, some to be handed down. They also incorporate strips of old saris into the work, and sometimes imitate the sari patterns in stitches. 

Since the slides were very fully labeled, I'll just show you





























It really spoke to me, with the stitching and up-cycling, and the pleasure women take in this art, a meditative break in very busy lives.

Yesterday I played latter day hippie, making yogurt and granola! I have a new approach to yogurt, using one of the insulated foil bags from misfits coolpack shipping, and the containers of hot water recommended by blogistas. Last time I did this, the yogurt was still warm after 24 hours.






 And, fortified by this great grub, I began to think about changing the furniture around. Now that I don't have a tv, I can use that alcove -- the one you saw Gary at work in -- differently.

On the other wide side of the fireplace is another, bigger alcove, currently with Dollivers and bears on a table. But I measured and found my smaller bookcase will slide into the small alcove, the bigger one into the other. Finally, a change of indoor scenery. 

This ended up where you might have guessed, with winnowing the bookcases. I did this three years ago, in the Great Winnowing, and now I'm at it again, not having used any of the art books I spared last time.




So this all happened, and by the end of the day I'll have free cycled two stacks of books to happy recipients, all being well.


In waiting, one pickup scheduled this morning, one this afternoon.

Happy day, everyone, and happy winnowing if that's how the onset of the new season moves you.




24 comments:

  1. I should do some book winnowing although I am trying to pass on books more often rather than just leaving them sitting on shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to part with books, especially when they've been part of your own history.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work and because they are recycling some of their clothing it is passing a piece of them on. Just lovely.
    I have been weeding out since retirement in June I took a load to the thrift store yesterday all in support of food pantries in our area.
    You seem to feel lighter after it is gone.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I like to think of the people now getting pleasure from what I'm passing on.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful and intricate. A interior change of scenery is a welcome thing and your winnowing makes you and the recipient happy. I have made yoghurt and the insulated bag is a really good idea. I have not made granola. Peace and love, my hippy friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've now cleared two shelves via free cycle since I thought of it last night. Art and fiber arts books are really valued.

      Delete
  4. Thankfully, all of my reads are borrows from the local library in terms of Kindle, audio books, or hardcovers. But, I have been purging some clothes and shoes, which have already been delivered to local thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The winnowing you do motivates me as well. I have book to go through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really hard to winnow books but I managed a decent cull when we moved last year so maybe it is time to have another go. With another international move on the horizon we need to take a leaf out of your book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the Kantha pieces so much. They absolutely speak to me. And I have done some myself, especially in mending garments that by all rights should probably have been turned into rags. I think they are beautiful when they are patched and stitched in colorful embroidery thread.
    Hippie food! Still the best.
    We have many of the same books. I, too, need to winnow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd really feel that kantha work. I do too. Strictly speaking I'm a bit old for a hippie, I thought they were cute kids with their bells and belts and beads!

      Delete
  8. This is why I love crafting. It connects women through the generations.
    I’m doing something that all my grandmothers have done before me and I feel stronger knowing all the things they went through, gives me the hope that I too will endure and survive
    Winnowing books is hard. I love each and everyone of them like a child

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that sense of being connected with women through history, when I stitch, and particularly when I spin.

      I did a Great Winnowing three years ago, haven't touched these books since, so I decided they needed a new reader!

      Delete
  9. I have given away all of my books. How liberating. I can visit the library, or books on tape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Now that I don't need the art books as teaching references, they can fly away!

      Delete
  10. Of your winnowed books, I've read three over the years and enjoyed them all a lot -- "Bird By Bird" (in fact, I read this one twice), "The Artist's Way" and "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all worth rereading, and passing on.

      Delete
  11. It's very freeing to give away books. (Well, anything, really!) I read "Bird by Bird" years ago and liked it. I have a huge stack of photography books that I could probably part with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to consider have I actually used the books even slightly. If not, I think they're ready for a new home. Gosh, they're heavy to sling about, though.

      Delete
  12. Yay on the furniture-moving! Isn't it refreshing to shift things around in a newly-functional way?
    I've given away many books, but need to make the effort (and the time) to put my horse-related books (dressage and classical training) on eBay, because they are such a specific, niche interest and in excellent condition. In related news, there are days when I think of putting 90% of everything I own on eBay, to subsidize my hay addiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually go for free cycle because there's no shipping involved. I find shipping such an added chore I don't know if it's worth it to me, though some of the out of print items are very desirable as they say.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!