Friday, September 15, 2023

Chicken pot (comfort) pie, plants next door, and Billy the Pup

I made the chicken pot pie from Chef Andres' wck book, and as usual did some subbing. I never have peas when they're needed, but I did have a baked golden potato,  which I diced and added and liked.  I had all the fresh herbs and celery ready though, and carrots.


I did the filling, the stove-top part using one pot which can go directly on the flame


then switched everything to an earthenware pot which is terrific in the oven


there were two spare biscuits which I baked on their own tray


I had them refrigerated longer than intended, on account of being needed next door, and I think next time I won't do that. They're not as light as planned, though still airy.


I also might make the biscuits smaller, but this worked fine, see the filling bubbling and smelling wonderful.


So here's dinner, and three more to come. I have had this book a little over one day and there are food stains on it. A land speed record. But a good sign. And the chicken bones will become soup quite soon.

The interruption was Gary urgently needing help to tie up a big plant in the house that Billy the Pup had knocked about and was now trying to eat. There is no end to the trouble that girl can find. 

The downstairs floors are being replaced and it's a full-time job keeping wood scraps from her, let alone potentially dangerous houseplants! She already found and chewed the new cove base lengths, the quarter-rounds that join wall to floor. I've had dogs who teethed on the bottom-shelf books, but they didn't eat the floor!

So what's a few biscuits when you're saving a puppy from herself?

I had one of the extra biscuits, split, toasted, buttered, this morning for breakfast, very good, too.

Yesterday was a tired sort of day, only managed half my usual walk, and I concluded it's the allergy drops and pills knocking out my energy along with the histamine. But if that's all I have to complain about, it doesn't amount to much.

Happy day, everyone, and if you feel like grumbling, remember writer J. B. Priestley used to say, "I might not have had a good time, but I did have a good grumble!"




35 comments:

  1. A good grumble can be almost as satisfying as chicken pot pie. It occurred to me that chicken pot pie is very much kin to chicken and dumplings. At least the way I make it as the dumplings are set in more of a chicken stew than just a chickeny broth. Both delicious.
    Jessie's little pup is also in a rather naughty stage, chewing on anything she can get her sharp little nippers on, including legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about you as I made it and wondered if your gkids would like my version!

      Delete
  2. Impressive that you already have cooked from the new WCK book! I have my eye on a couple of recipes, but I already know what I’m serving for lunch & dinner today. I’m looking forward to more descriptions on your bog.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one really jumped out at me, because I had the rest of a roast chicken waiting. I'll explore more soon.

      Delete
  3. I reckon I could get on with J B Priestly. Anti-histamine does knock 'one' about doesn't it? Biscuits is, I think, a word that doesn't translate across the Atlantic. Here - and downunder - they are crunchy (well cooked as per the French translation of the word), and usually sweet, things you dunk in your tea. Yours look like dumplings or scones. it does look good however and beats fighting with the job of making pastry I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a very light scone type of thing, definitely pastry, rolled, cut in circles, need a quick light touch. What you mean is what in the US is known as cookies. Another example of divided by a common language!

      I like some of jbp 's attitudes, if not his writing.

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm, the chicken pot pie looks good! I'm planning on making one next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're a fan, from last time I made it. Go for it!

      Delete
  5. Just saying the words chicken pot pie is a comfort! Love the use of biscuits to top it! American biscuits, I mean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, and I never thought of that before!

      Delete
  6. Chicken pot pie surely must rank highly as one of the ultimate comfort foods. And it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely cures what ails a person.

      Delete
  7. looks good, sounds good. I've been sleepy tired this week and right now I feel like I could go lay down and take a nap, something I rarely do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this once you should. I imagine the endless heat has worn you out.

      Delete
  8. That does look yummy. I might have to look up a recipe or two and see if I can make something like it.
    Although with the weather finally warming up here. Bbq and salads are going to become the norm for a while turning on the oven just makes it hotter in the house
    And I don’t do hot well I’ll definitely grumble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're going to make it, better be soon before it's too hot to put the oven on. Or maybe make a note to do it in the fall!

      Delete
  9. A recipe that doesn’t have substitutions just doesn’t feel right. Most times, the recipe with the substitutions become the recipe I’ll make again. Or I make more substitutions! Your pot pie looks delicious, substitutions and all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good. A good grumble is almost as good as mediation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are getting to the time of year where we can start making those yummy comfort foods. It sounds delicious.
    I would not have the energy for a puppy at this point in my life.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Billy the Pup is my grandpup so I get to play with her, but no work, nor responsibilities.

      Delete
  12. That chicken pot pie looks scrumdillyiscous. Hope you have peas next time; tasty little devils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never think of buying peas except in season from the farm. I guess there are other ways yo get them!

      Delete
  13. Food stains on a recipe book are such a wonderful thing. They trigger memories and encourage repeat cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they mean the book is more than a paperweight!

      Delete
  14. Now I'm inspired. I haven't made a pot pie in forever. Much more important to save the pup from herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspired to save pups? Oh no, probably to make a cpp.

      Delete
    2. Yes! My pup saving days are over. Now it seems to be cats.

      Delete
  15. Are those biscuits like scones? Grand-dog Louie is over a year now and still a torment, stealing, burying or eating anything left out! Good luck to Gary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they're scone like, butter rubbed into flour, bit of milk, minimum handling and rolling etc.

      Delete
  16. Oooh... the biscuit atop the chicken dish looks delicious. This may be a bit too instant for you, but I buy frozen carrots and peas (and often try to have them on hand) specifically to make chicken pot pie with. At least I do when I'm in a chicken pot pie sort of season in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to make a supermarket run to get them, but in the past I used to buy those frozen mixtures for handsome son, they being practically the only veggies he likes!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!