Thursday, September 14, 2023

Of doctors and collectors and heroes

Yesterday was my biannual bone doctor visit and shot. I get bloodwork before this, which she reviews before okaying the shot. She tells me the buzzy neck is a pinched nerve, agrees that it's overuse, and said to continue with the remedies I've been doing, unless it stops responding, then get her to recommend a physio.  Otherwise I'm fine, just fine, wonderful blood.

I felt better all day. Dr L is wonderfully cheering and encouraging. She's also a model of courage and adaptability, having fled her own country, and I think retrained to get her credentials accepted in the US,  and now she's in a very good practice. Yay her!  She's board certified in rheumatology, which apparently includes bone density, I'd never have known until my doctor referred me.  Anyway, another good visit. All my doctors are women, good hands.

And here's what arrived yesterday. Chef Andres is a hero, showing up with his team, and local volunteers, to cook and serve hot food after disasters. He's in Morocco even as I type.


Proceeds go to WCK, so, as with Megan's Grenfell cookbook, I'm donating as well as benefiting.


And since that roast chicken I mentioned recently needed a use to finish it up, within half an hour of opening the box, and finding this, I was shredding chicken.


 I'd already had a cooking adventure for lunch. Bad food, hot dogs, no buns left, so I split a pita bread, spread each section with relish and Dijon mustard, rolled them up! High end hotdogs.

Then I thought, can I make potato chips? Which I proceeded to do. I'll do this more adeptly next time  I discovered, trial and error, that halving a potato and using the parer to slice off thin sections, worked better than the big slice side of the box grater

Then, tossed in olive oil with basil seasalt, which I mixed a while back, dried basil and fine salt, and baked at 400° for about half an hour, they were pretty good for a beginner.




I was so eager to try them that I forgot to picture the plate of lunch, so, like the hummingbird clearwing, please take my word for it. Never buying potato chips again! Down from twice a year.  

The mustard container you see is the last of the Dijon mustard, after I'd spread it on the bread, filled with water and shaken and now in the freezer until I make something, sauce, soup, that needs a bit of fire.

Woman cannot live by hotdogs alone, and since I correspond with the director of the Textile Museum of Southern California and the HGA Textiles and Tea people, I have bits of news.

The joint presenter of that excellent Indian trade cloth program and the TMSC, both got back in touch after I thanked them for the program and asked about a companion program on the materials and techniques seen in the textiles.

They reminded me that's not their focus, and here's part of the further info the presenter wrote. I don't think anyone will mind my excerpting and quoting an email. It's for blogistas who may have access to a major library


And at another point I asked HGA if textiles and Tea could feature Rebecca Mezoff and/or Sarah Swett. They gave me a YouTube link to a Mezoff program from their earliest days, before I started following then, and said Sarah was already on their future list. Great.

Textile art people are so open and friendly, it's great company to be in.

Speaking of which, as I came downstairs this morning, I caught the early sun, a raking light right on the applique, showing the texture so excitingly. After a couple of minutes, the sun  moved on.

 
View over the banister


And closer.

For those who prefer less excitement, here's another shot, flatter lighting


The texture is as important as the images, so you're getting both. 

Happy day, everyone, here's to Chef Andres, and I hope your food today is joyful!





24 comments:

  1. I heard a podcast interview with Chef Andres and he sounded like such a great guy. I'm sure he is. I am excited to see how your chicken pot pie comes out as that is one of my favorite foods.
    I do so love the photo of your wall hanging shot in the morning ray of sunshine. It gives all your panels a new and different sort of life.
    I've never thought of making baked potato chips. I've never made potato chips at all. I might have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never tried them either. Some recipes are about deep frying, so I kept looking and found this baking version. I'm definitely doing this again.

      I thought you'd notice the recipe! This is a book stuffed with exotic and exciting food and I go for comfort food.

      Delete
  2. Oh! And hurray on your good doctor and her report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great. So this means my primary will have accessed this bloodwork, too, saves a step.

      Delete
  3. My copy of the World Central Kitchen Cookbook arrived a couple of hours ago, and I’m writing a preliminary blog post about it (for tomorrow). That is, before I try the recipes! It’s neat that you already made one of them. I’m a big admirer of the man & his work.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the middle of the chicken pot pie as I speak! I'll look forward to seeing what you say about the book.

      Delete
  4. Wow, seeing sunlight like that, I hope you made a wish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those lovely fleeting moments.

      Delete
  5. I really like him too. A good person -- along with great food! It's so important to like and have confidence in your docs. I'm glad you have good ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely blessed in my doctors, after many years of not being. When I found a great doctor who is respected by other doctors and refers me to women practitioners, I'm in good hands. They all listen!

      At one same day surgical procedure, I realized all my team, doctors, nurses, were women, all on good terms. The only men I saw were other patients, and my son when he came to collect me.

      Delete
  6. The texture looks so good, an important feature of the piece. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think crafty people, and that includes those that use food to express themselves, are generally lovely generous people they love to share and find joy in imparting information, and teaching others
    For us it’s not about money and power. It’s about joy, beauty and happiness

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I feel tired just reading the back stories in the chapters. Such drive!

      Delete
  9. The sun really made the piece pop. I hope you have somewhere filled with sunlight to hang it when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raking light is good for this piece. For a lot of my work in fact.

      Delete
  10. Your first potato chips look pretty good. I have a hankering for potatoes, period, now. Raking Light. I'd never heard the term before and you made me all curious and I've looked it up. I've learned something! And I want to pay more attention to see it now. Or to know what it is I'm seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's A useful term, particularly to me, since a lot of my work can be seen best that way.

      Delete
  11. I do like that texture-emphasizing slant of light! Take care of that neck. My mom used to occasionally make french fries from scratch but I don't think she ever made potato chips!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're like crackers -- you don't realize you can make them just fine at home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just had some chips. I didn't need them, but I had them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a want, not a need. Though after a while they feel like a need.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!