Friday, September 29, 2023

Misfits and ballots

 Yesterday's misfits box was smaller, but still great quality


and it came with a bonus item, tzatziki

I don't usually bother with tzatziki because it has cucumber, which I don't much like, but I tried it and it's very garlicky, spread on pita bread, it's fine. 

Once in a while an unordered item finds its way in, possibly a marketing idea, because it's something I've never ordered, like this. I expect the theory is that once tasted, I might order it.

And the bag of onions reminded me about onion bhajis, which I plan on as soon as I get chickpea flour. I'm thinking of them with the shrimp of last week, now in the freezer awaiting a good idea or two. The tzatziki can be a good dip for the bhajis.

My mail-in vote arrived, has been filled out, and mailed back. 



Our state legislature, school boards and fire commissioners are all up. I was careful not to vote for a candidate for school board who, I think, has an agenda which has more to do with control than with education. I read about him. No. I suspect him of running as a fake Democrat, ready to "turn" Republican once elected. It's the new thing.

I was a good foot soldier in the push to establish universal state wide mail in, dropboxes, and ballot cure, the right to correct a mistake on the ballot. You have to do it in person in front of the County clerk. It saves losing your vote over a clerical slip. If there's a clerical snafu, they notify you and give you the chance to fix it.

 Winnowing is done for now, the little table picked up last evening between showers, by a freecycler who sent a very appreciative message this morning. So my house is more orderly, and there are several happy people out there with my stuff, people whose partners are no doubt saying more stuff? You needed more stuff?

Another exciting day of rain today, and a text telling me my covid booster was cancelled yet again, so I booked yet again. I got a spot very locally, though, where I got the rsv from a very competent pharmacy tech. So I'm hoping to get this done with.

Happy day, everyone, the puzzle answer was

ROUNDABOUT

but you knew that.




20 comments:

  1. We've finally gotten a couple of rain showers though they don't last long enough.

    It's really sad that the republican party has embraced dishonesty in it's desire for power and control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we're onto this turncoat thing now. Smart people scrutinize the candidates better.

      Delete
  2. No, I didn't know that! When I lived in St. Paul we had a mayor do that, switch to Republican. There is no way a Republican would have been elected in St. Paul. He went on to be a Senator. You are an activist. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's happened a few times recently, in State legislatures. I think there ought to be a law that if an official changes party, there should be a special election, since their constituents are not being represented by the party they voted for.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! What a lot you have accomplished in the past day! I know that getting things cleared out feels so good.
    Enjoy your tzatzik! I probably spelled that wrong. I do love that stuff. Especially on dolmades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel as if this week was about getting things done. I may learn to like that tzat stuff!

      Delete
  4. We are expecting a very warm day today. Although showers are forecast for later
    in the week.
    I love tzatziki I can eat it on everything. Although my breath would be a bit smelly lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's your heritage, after all! Maybe I'll join you.

      Delete
  5. The mail-in ballot is such a great idea. We don’t have that option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terrific and has improved numbers. Still a lot of people don't get how important their vote is, though.

      Delete
  6. Was this a primary plus issues election? I have my general election absentee ballot request filled out to mail. It seems harder to get done in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our primaries are in June. This is the off year State legislature turnover. Also school boards and fire commissions. No public questions. They usually come on the other years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is also a Middlesex County in Ontario, and a fair-size capital -- London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect both were swiped from UK names at different periods.

      Delete
  9. Hope you get your booster soon. Covid seems to be on the rampage here so I'm hoping ours will also be available soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here it's not being worried about enough. It's definitely around.

      Delete
  10. Changing political party affiliation after being elected should be illegal. Talk about a dirty way to manage to get elected.
    We have to wait until November to get get our covid booster and hopefully they'll have the newest version available by then. We're hearing on the news that some areas are re-introducing masking mandates already. That won't affect us much because we never did stop wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been masking indoors always, library, shops, PO. I notice people resuming masks, I think because flu season is soon as well as covid.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!