Thursday, September 7, 2023

Heat, hibiscus, reading and whistling

Here's where we are today


Out early to water plants and pick flowers, then another day inside, reading, stitching, maybe knitting, whistling. Also prepping Misfits food this afternoon.

I noticed lights and decorations at my neighbors' houses and wondered what Indian festival was up. Turned out to be Lord Krishna's birthday, so I shot off greetings to Indian friends, which tickled them a lot. See the greeting below, like that, which means Happy Lord Krishna's birthday.



And, after some discussion yesterday chez Mary Moon about not being able to think what to cook, I just opened the cabinet door, found tuna and cannellini  beans, thought I wonder if these will make a nice lunch? 

Doused with malt vinegar, big bunch of cilantro leaves mixed in, beans mashed down,  it was really good. Then I looked up the ingredients for nutrition information, I like to know, and found


Turns out I'd "invented" a traditional dish. Like when I "invented" basil, mozzarella and tomato and discovered via Joanne and Mary, that it's a classic dish with a name, Caprese salad. Oh. 

I've done this in art, too, thinking I'd invented a technique only to find it's some classic approach for about a thousand years. My teachers were tactful about this!

I wonder if a lot of ideas like this were accidental, just some little Italian lady trudging about in the kitchen, mamma mia, another meal,  what to feed la familia, ah, let's try this. And a classic is born.

Speaking of ideas from other bloggers, I think Jeanie referred to September Song, one of my favorites, and it occurred to me to add it to my whistling repertoire. I know what I'm whistling, but I think listeners would need captions, to know Linden Lea, another fave, from Dead March in Saul. I bet this is why you get programs at concerts, too.

And here's another little known instrument


Take that, Rolling Stones!

I've found a writer I think I'm going to like, police procedurals set in the French countryside, the police officer main character also a good cook, tennis player, dog owner and lover of early music. Checks a lot of boxes. He gets into the Occitan language,  even, and Catalan  politics.  

I learned Old French as a language at the Uni, and had Chastelaine de Vergi in my old Kindle.  One day I'll get into the langue d'oc  and the langue d'oil (add another dot over the i), and be a great big bore about it. 

Anyway back to  Martin Walker,  he's written quite a few books. Great fall and winter reading to come.


I finished Fresh Water for Flowers, 


and liked it very much. There are many affairs of the heart, entanglements, a central huge sad mystery eventually even more sadly solved. It's long but you need to develop an understanding of the many characters and how they came to be who they are. Set in France, it's very much worth reading. France seems to be getting into my reading these days.

Meanwhile, I found a use for the replacement certificate from Breck for those totally failed snowdrops last year. I noticed how successful the neighbor's red hibiscus is, so I've ordered the bottom left you see here, not red, a lovely white.


Arriving in mid October, and I can't wait.  These get wide but not tall, so it won't get involved with the trees. 

Meanwhile this morning I picked zinnias for your morning bouquet.



Happy day, everyone, and let's hope any of today's accidents will be happy discoveries.



21 comments:

  1. There's a long time local lunch place here (how's that for unintended alliteration?) which serves an extremely delicious tuna and white bean salad. And now I am craving one of them.
    I do love those hibiscus. I have a special fondness for all of the hibiscus relatives from okra to Rose of Sharon. They grew all over the place where I lived as a child.
    Yeah. Somehow I can't see Keith Richards playing a spork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those big generous flowers. I was thinking rose of Sharon, but it wouldn't work in this limited space with the maple and the butterfly bush. But this is even more spectacular.

      Delete
  2. I make salads out of quinoa and veg, thinking it an original idea but alas…everything new to us is old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's funny to imagine our ancestors rolling their eyes! Look what she thinks she discovered.

      Delete
  3. A couple of days ago we still had those temps. Now it's chilly. If you don't know something exists, you did create it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that definition of creating, as opposed to stumbling on.

      Delete
  4. Hibiscus flowers are a show stopper, for sure. I thought it was hot here the past few days but not as bad as your area is getting. Stay inside and keep cool if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely inside, and since I have central AC, I can keep cool. and there's lemonade.

      Delete
    2. In case you wondered, on the weather map, the second n in Trenton is over my house.

      Delete
  5. That mystery series does indeed sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a find. I read about it in another blog, and if the blogista reads here and pops in, I'll be glad to credit her. Name of the blog escapes me just now.

      Delete
  6. I think we all come from a long line of creative women who found a few things in the cupboard and made meals. We will not find something totally new It’s all been done before in one variation or another.
    But that doesn’t mean we should stop trying
    Stay well hydrated just like your beautiful flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect that's true. I'm amused when I find something I put together actually has an official name.

      Delete
  7. Back in my days of designing and weaving fabric for clothing, I came to realize there is nothing new under the sun. People have woven fabric and made clothing for millennia, and I doubt there is a new technique of any kind out there. Thus my aphorism, there is nothing new under the sun. I'm willing to bet it holds true for cooking, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The heat index was probably like that here, but it has now broken -- Thursday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful hibiscus. I remember picking them as a kid and sucking the nectar out of the centre.
    I will see if I can get those books on my kindle (not all titles are available here for some reason)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are complex copyright issues, but I hope you can find it. There's a newly issued recipe book, too! New in English. It was out in German for years. I seem to be falling into translations these days.

      Delete
  10. There are possibly a lot of food experiment failures over the course of human history and no one would have named or recorded those so there is a whole field of food invention in which bold experimenters are unlikely to be challenged on originality but will have to admit failure.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then there are the failures which people didn't survive. Such as the early experimenters with mushrooms..

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!