Monday, July 25, 2022

Mouse art and plums

This morning  it's still hot, in the high 80s all night. I did get out to water a bit, though there may be lovely rain later.

Meanwhile art busy saving us all


And since the Misfits plums were still pretty unripe thought looking beautiful, I stewed them.

Cinnamon stick, cane sugar syrup with lemon juice..





Then reduced the syrup by about half, poured it over the cooked fruit,  and there's a bowl of edible jewels waiting to be spooned over oatmeal or anytime else that comes along

Yesterday saw another accordion book, this time botanicals




And a bit more linen stitching. Not ready for knitting quite yet, a bit fearful of putting back the shoulder again.


And here's a tribute to every working mom there ever was


Aeon magazine today has an article about the importance of cheerfulness in the face of hard times. I guess it's needed now, if ever it was. So maybe we can try for it.

Happy day everyone, and let's look forward to rain and cooler weather soon 




12 comments:

  1. Those mice are darn cute and the accordion books look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mice are the essence of cheerful and the bowl of plums is the essence of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful way to display those cards. Yes, cheerfulness, what else can we do but try to make the life around us as pleasant as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wise to wait on knitting awhile, even when your shoulder seems healed. I have never stewed fruit, thanks for the idea. I agree about cheerfulness if one can muster it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how creative you are. You are making your own life so much fun without having to rely on any outside entertainment. You made me remember my younger days in Princeton, trying to sleep in a room I rented on the top floor, with a fan in the window, trying to fan away the 80 plus degrees night air. All the while with my neighbors from the fire department playing horse shoes below my window while waiting for the next call to duty. I was hot and mad at the same time, but survived it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the mice! We have an ornamental plum tree that we planted several years ago and this year it had actual plums. They're not very big, but it made me wonder if the tree isn't "ornamental" at all but an actual plum tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could also make plum jelly jammy. My aunt and I used to make it from wild plums so it included the pits and skins. Though with yours - just lots of plum fruit instead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your accordian books are so pretty, Liz. When I've made them in the past (with the kids) I felt they needed a purpose (as a gift, or a card to send to someone - I know grandparents were recipients of a few). Why not do such a thing for myself? You always challenge me to incorporate art (and the handmade) into the everyday. Not that I do very often, but you do make me think about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking about it is step one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The plums looks quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another accordion book! How lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have the perfect display area for accordion books and so easy to have an ever-evolving art display.
    I do so love those wee mice. She get so much detail into not only the mice but their surroundings too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!