Saturday, July 23, 2022

Artist books, linen squares and Misfits

Yesterday's Misfits came, without tomatoes, they'd already warned me, maybe a heatwave casualty





The plums are tart, probably will work in a cake,  until they ripen.
I really like the wholewheat pita bread, my current go to for breakfast. 

And since the shoulder, though showing signs of improvement, is not ready for close work, I did a different thing I've been meaning to for ages, not too demanding.

I organized the art postcards my honorary granddaughter sends regularly on various themes. At one a week, they add up amazingly.  





They're all  precious keepers so it's about how to enjoy them.

Accordion books are my answer, to display them. But first to sort.  Botanicals, Inuit, other Canadian, Japanese woodblock prints,  Pantone colors, and more,  and the really spectacular silkworm cases.

I may keep the Pantone cards loose, so as to put different colors side by side as a visual game. As you know, colors change perceptually depending on what other colors are next to them.

But the silkworm casings, mounted on heavy paper as folded notecatds,  I interleaved and tied with a piece of handmade and dyed daylily cord (!) as a kibd of sculpture.




The other artist books will happen when I get more tape to attach them. Meanwhile they're organized and ready.

And, my inner maker still needing a little something, I did a bit more stitching on those linen square samples.



This is another interesting experience in color, and I was amazed to find I could thread my needle and stitch small without glasses, wheeee!! Just as well, since my glasses aren't a lot of use right now.

Another hot day today, plants watered early, Rosenfelt audiobook loaded, cool food.

Happy day everyone, and I hope your air conditioning works if you're in the heatwave as most of us are, here another heat index in the 100s, and that if you don't have air conditioning, you manage somehow.

Photo AC 



16 comments:

  1. Those postcards are such a great tradition, and you have worked out what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet and thoughtful and kind of fun of your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always busy, always creating, always interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What marvelous postcards! And I like how you've chosen to display them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to organize the postcards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those postcards are a great tradition between you. I wrote a letter a week to my parents after leaving home. Some years later they gave them back - interesting rereads! Emails weren't nearly so saveable and returnable - but those postcards could be; especially now that you have added your gift of art to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you undo/unfurl/whatever it might be called the silkworm casings? Those are amazing. What a fun gift and yes - a great tradition you've got between you and your honorary granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The silkworm casings were spread and attached to the paper by the art weavers who worked the silk thread. They offered these natural artworks at their weaving workshop. Granddaughter found them and seized on them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful thing for Honorary GrandDaughter to do. And how well they look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lovely tradition your honorary granddaughter started with you. Kind of makes my heart melt. It's wonderful you have found a way of displaying them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's such a great way to display them. And so lovely to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those postcards are pretty special and your display is shows you treasure them,

    ReplyDelete
  13. After mom had her second eye done, she embarked on a 28 count Aida cloth picture that had been in her stash since she was a teenager. She was in her mid seventies by then. She gave the finished piece to my cousin, who still takes it down for people to admire.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those postcards are lovely! I hope you are enjoying the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful way to keep and enjoy cards - accordion books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Speaking of tomatoes or lack thereof, I was at the grocery store a few days ago and noticed they had cases of Roma tomatoes. Yay, said I to self, UNTIL (until!!!) I saw the price and just about keeled over right then and there. $49 for a small case. To be fair, tomatoes aren't in season locally yet so that could have something to do with it but still!!
    What a great thing to be able to look forward to - a postcard in the mail every week. And now you've hit upon the perfect way to display them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!