Thursday, July 7, 2022

Better now!

Yesterday was a day of fixing stuff.

I did see the rheumatologist who showed me my numbers, and says at this point a one in two chance of breaking a hip. So I reluctantly agreed to start the twice yearly Prolia shot, the potential serious side effects being statistically far smaller than the prospect of breaking something. 

She was surprised I wasn't wanting to do this right away, among all the cataract work, since she said the two are not connected, but agreed that I know best what I can cope with. Also they're both unknowns at this point. So I start the Prolia late August. 

This shows yet again that only the physically tough get through medical school, particularly females.  They can't even imagine feeling frail in the face of physical decisions.  Also they're not in their eighties. Things look different from here.

Her mask kept crinkling into a Muppet mouth shape as she earnestly talked and I had trouble keeping serious. The whole set-up was comical anyway, she being a Romanian immigrant, me a Brit one, both talking in broken American. But I think it's okay. Better at least try it than not, the risk now being greater. 

Then a very good phone call in the afternoon from the eye doctor's surgical coordinator, blessed Michelle, and we sorted everything. 

I paid for the first eye, she tactlessly saying it's better not to pay for both at once "in case anything happens". Sounded ominous, but okay. One at a time.

She looked into the Rx mix-up and found the original Rx was back-ordered, pharmacy called for advice, my doctor unavailable, another one in the practice subbed a comparable one. So that's okay.

She's dismayed about the wrong information on the surgical center sheet and will call them to get it fixed, meanwhile glad I told her, so she can direct people better, yay!

All in all a good day of resolving. This blog appears to have become a temporary Boring Medical Newsletter, but oh well.

A local friend and I used to have an imaginary development newsletter, H-- Happenings, and when we chatted about neighborhood doings we'd say well, there's another column for Happenings, will you write it or shall I?

After all the phoning and doctoring, I was glad to lie on the deck and watch the sky


Shortly after this, I drifted peacefully off and woke in time for supper. And I guess Boris heard about all my fixing and finally resigned before I got there to fix him, too. No, no, not Boud! 

And yesterday my MOC Bonnie, great rep, posted this


It's particularly appropriate to remember by what a hairsbreadth we actually pulled off the Revolution, and I live right where some of the closest shaves happened. We're in a similar struggle again only with internal forces.

These scenes are a few minutes away and I've gone there on Memorial Day sometimes to mark it. Here's a bit of background





Interesting that an enemy commander was honored by having his name enshrined, the county now being Mercer, the battlefield on what is now Mercer Road, leading to Mercer Street. 

The Mercer Oak is named for him because, mortally wounded, he rested there rather than leave his troops. He died in the Clarke farmhouse seen there in the montage.

I used to joke that all the historic sites to which I insisted on taking English visitors, are scenes of British defeats! As one of my friends said, "Oh, did we lose here, too?" when I showed them Washington's Crossing where he famously crossed the Delaware for the Battle of Trenton. 

It was at Christmas, poor guys, barely even shoes to their names. The troops not the visitors. There's a reenactment of the crossing in a replica Durham boat every Christmas day, to which we took Handsome Son when he was little, to show him his history. 

Meanwhile back in the kitchen, my sample of za'atar arrived and I quickly checked in with my better-than-internet friend C. for advice on using it.


It smells wonderful, like a wild hillside. She came through with great sources for recipes, and meanwhile, breakfast this morning was half a pita sprayed inside with olive oil,tsp of za'atar, stuffed with golden raisins. It's great, warm, interesting flavor.

Today I'm baking hake, so lunch may be hake and fries, fish 'n chips to Brit readers.

Happy day everyone, keep hoping and pushing for better days.




12 comments:

  1. I'm glad Michelle got everything straightened out for you! And I laughed at your "muppet mouth" observation. "Did we lose here too?" hahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too much medical stuff for me. I'm having a small but urgent crisis of my own concerning my hormones. As in- if I don't get them before we leave for NC it is NOT GOING TO BE GOOD as I told the prescribing physician's nurse yesterday. He won't respond to renew.
    Anyway, lots of history where you are for sure.
    I hope you enjoyed your fish and chips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny -- or not -- how much time medical stuff takes from our lives when we are in our 80s. But, of course, it could be worse. Sorry about the Prolia, but far better than breaking something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, nothing worse than a gatekeeper who won't respond. I hope it gets sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I worry about highly specialized doctors - do they actually pay attention to what you are taking prescribed from another specialized DR? And, do they really know what the meds are doing to those that take them. Sigh. Choices, decisions are hard as we grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the doctors from a group so at least they all see the same records,and my primary acts as a traffic cop! She refers me to doctors she likes, mostly women, I notice, and keeps up. So that part is good. That said, we put a lot of faith in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad things are sorted for now and sorry you need meds for bones...Enjoy your lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you feel at all conflicted when it comes to the revolution, particularly when visiting sites?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not at all! I've never been a fan of Empire, always on the side of the rebels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The masks have made for interesting discussions but I have never heard of “Muppet Mouth” before with respect to masks. I won’t forget that one, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear you got some things sorted and even managed some internal levity over the muppet mask situation. Sorry though to hear that you will need the shots to help ward off breakage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dug down to my bone density scan from six or seven years or eight years ago and read I had a 70% chance of breaking a bone in the next ten years. I have no recollection of being told that, only that I was a "fine boned" woman. I don't have that doctor any more; she retired.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!