Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Hot, surprise. Textiles and Tea , glorious Bonnie

The weather is hot again, all week, indoor time


So glad of air conditioning, and food delivery. And despite the heat yesterday, climatic and political, my member of Congress was out there


Along with a lot of other MOCs arrested for protesting at the Supreme Court for reproductive rights. Why did they arrest peaceful protesters? . She's a great Rep.

Yesterday's Textiles and Tea featured a very nice guest who talked rapidly, nervously and inaudibly,  so i give you what I can. 







I could not find out the scale of her work, but she's clearly interested in three dimensional structures rather than color,  And she has a new book out. I'd like to track that down and learn more.

Because art will save us all, here's Milton Avery, the painter's painter, whose influence is seen in all the 20th century painters who became famous, very influenced by his color blocks, simplified shapes and vertiginous composition . 

Few people outside the art world know of him. I used to make visits to his work in the old Princeton Art Museum to pay my respects. I hope when the new buildibg finally opens,  I'll be able to continue.

And continuing on the theme of art saving us all


When I first started learning violin in my forties, my earliest lessons were with a teacher whose summer studio was an enclosed porch.  

As I struggled to learn the open strings and play a few notes, birds would join in. I had numerous teachers, human and avian!  Lovely collaboration.

My shoulder reacted to the cord making yesterday. I'm thinking of learning to make it with my left habd, just to rest the right side! I really would like to continue at least a bit. It cheered me up so much.  We'll see.

Happy day everyone, and tell us what's saving you?



18 comments:

  1. It's finally turned hot here too. I was beginning to wonder if summer would be passing us by this year. Of course the next thing they're predicting is big storms because it seems they go together these days. Resident Chef finally put in the a/c unit yesterday but has yet to turn it on.
    As for what I'm doing - one look at my blog and it's easy to see that my time is spent in my sewing room. Ceiling fan, tower fan, and the blinds closed to keep out the morning heat. All good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you have AC. I surely hope you do.
    Why DID they arrest those representatives? I am so proud of them. The true Americans.
    Hmmm...
    What is saving me? Good question. Right now it is the green of the back yard with the crimson of the cardinals at the feeder, the knowledge that we will get rain again this afternoon. So I suppose- nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo-Yo Ma is such an innovative performer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Violin! Is there anything you haven't done, can't do? I'm so sorry you are experiencing the horrible heat we've been dealing with for the past month. It's really going to be terrible for those without air conditioning.

    And that's what we do now, arrest peaceful protestors, meet them with violence because apparently the only amendment that matters is 2A.

    What saves me? Art, craft, nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is it that Milton Avery isn't better known? I haven't thought of him in years, though I remember seeing his work in the past. I heard about those protest arrests. AOC for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suspect Avery was not interested in marketing his work the way the others were. Quite a few of the bigs started out in advertising, so they took to selling. He was probably more interested in the work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What saves me - gardening - though I haven't spent as much time outside as I'd like. Hmm, what else - reading, needlework along with other stuff. We too are still suffering with very high heat. I am tired of summer now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nature always saves me. She is always different!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Itzhak Perlman was musical director of the Saint Paul Chamber orchestra in the late '80s. I had season tickets and got to experience Yo Yo Ma and Isaac Stern several times. That was a highlight of my life. I tried to learn the cello but I was hopeless.
    I have staying out of the tropical humidity we've been having and watching obscure films on Prime. I watched a documentary on the Cowsills yesterday. That took me back a ways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. St Paul has always had top flight music. Wonderful to see world class musicians. I'm not a big fan of perlman's own performance to be honest. For my taste his sound is a bit thin and silvery. But then I'm a rabid fan of Hilary Hahn, and most other violinists fall short!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your yesterdays post had me looking up cord making and thinking about hand cranked (self built) mechanisms for making codage, and stuff to use (like yucca - we have loads of that). Suddenly a whole new world of thinking and designing opened up in front. I visited a vintage rope walk in my home town years ago and the process however it is conducted fascinates me. ...and i love making simple machines

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is exciting stuff! Very cool that you started or restarted from here,too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's the link to that amazing Yo-Yo Ma performance. Thanks Boud!
    https://aeon.co/videos/yo-yo-ma-performs-a-work-for-cello-in-the-woods-accompanied-by-a-birdsong-chorus

    Saving me: chickadees nesting in our back yard, in a nestbox 20 feet from our bathroom window. I find I'm spending a LOT of time in the bathroom these days...expecting nestlings to fledge in the next couple of days. Then what will I do with all my 'extra' time?!?

    Chris from Boise

    PS I envy you your glorious Bonnie. Our congressMEN are right-wing and getting more extremist by the day. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pity those Brits and Europeans without much AC.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chris thank you for the link. I had heard that music before and it's lovely. He collaborated with another musician to compose it.

    And yes on Bonnie. Her predecessor was also wonderful, Rush Holt, literally a rocket scientist.

    AC yes, it must be misery and frightening to endure this heat with only fans.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is awesome that you took up violin in your forties...and learned to play amongst the birds!

    What saves me--Lukas, books, music, films, cooking and writing...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's saving me--this is silly, but my dentist called me to see how I survived two measly fillings yesterday. Maybe professionals are worried about their client base. I don't know. But the call tickled me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad I'm not there in those temps!
    I saw The Letter on Twitter today coincidentally.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!