Saturday, July 30, 2022

Late summer flower, stramge harvest and World Embroidery Day

Yesterday was such a good day, quiet stitching of cordage at the library, with art and dance, then home to a clean house and the pleasure of having got around without special travel arramgements. This is so back to normal, though it would be a luxury a lot of people wish they had, I know.


And the front yard is in full late summer swing


The volunteer tomatoes with plenty flowers on the patio.

And today here's the total harvest from another potato plant. A good size, but one solitary spud. Next year I think I'll plant white potatoes again, the yellows being unpredictable.


Misfits came yesterday, in welcome rain

And brought a couple of unplanned bonuses. One was a bunch of kale, which I  didn't order, kale, no matter how young and tender, tasting metallic to me, like sucking coins. The other, however, was a package of Polish smoked salmon!


Supper was decided. Pita bread with some of the salmon and plain Icelandic yogurt, side of baby spinach. All in today's misfits box.

And today is World Embroidery Day, marked by Tatters thus






Happy day, everyone, may smoked salmon be with you! 




 

11 comments:

  1. I do adore embroidery and am in awe of those whose work is so complex and detailed.
    I bet that salmon was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy World Embroidery Day! I just got a wonderful cross-stitch book with traditional Ukrainian patterns. I hope to embroider some placemats for My Rare One and me, if my eyes are still good enough to do it. Time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it, Debra. Our guild a few years ago attended a Museum-based series'on Ukrainian embroidery taught by a genuine stitcher in the tradition. They were thrilled with their results. Lovely, colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally something I know how to do, or did; embroidery! Love smoked salmon. If you don't like kale it does taste better made into kale chips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at the embroidery pictures, I have a little wistful wish that tie on pockets would make a short comeback. Short in that I'm pretty sure we'd all find them too fussy, but a comeback because the one pictured is just so pretty and sweet I think the world needs more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish we could get smoked salmon at our grocery store but they don't carry it. I can get it at Walmart but it's farmed salmon, rather have wild caught. I fooled around with embroidery for a while back in my 20s. I was working on a winged scarab on the back of my denim jacket but only got about half done when I gave up. Made my fingertips hurt pushing the needle through that tough denim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I wish I'd known you back then, Ellen, to say that you can stitch the motif on another piece of fabric, then cut out and applique it to denim, much easier.

    Becki, I think the fanny pack is the modern, much less appealing, version of the tie on pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure that it feels good to e travelling a bit more freely. (Assuming I am reading you correctly.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a variety. All of ours (which I guess amounts to about 4 varieties) are yellow to pale range.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The embroidery is phenomenal. That tiny doll pocket! The final picture of the 2016 flora embroidery by Vera! The embroidered apron. All of them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect description of kale. I grew it for years and swore it would survive a nuclear blast. It almost lasted all winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!