Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Cordage, lavender and new approaches

 It looks as if my days of making for hours at a time are at least for now, on break. So I'm going to make cordage in scraps of time in the kitchen.. it's working pretty well up to now.

And yesterday I saw Sally Pointer gathering lavender for basket making, and thought I'd try that early this morning. But I find mine is a different, shrubbier, woody variety


Not very promising. So I looked around since I was already out wielding scissors, snd thought its neighbor, no idea what it is, but it's grassy, might also work.




Today's idea. Watch this space! I'm also considering whether prunings from houseplants might become string or something.  

I'm strictly taking from abundant outdoor weeds or garden stuff, not plundering nature for my use, just taking a reasonable share.

Yesterday was a cool, cloudy day, great for walking and admiring neighboring gardens, some loaded with tomatoes



Some with flowers


 First walk since the week of heat. 

I also did a refill of the handy notebook i bring to the shops. 

Longtime blogistas will remember the granny square obsession I got into a while back, using up a lot of embroidery floss, having a great time, then wondering what to do with the output.

Here's one thing I did, and it can be refilled as I use  up the pages 




Refilling it was one of those things I've spent months getting around to, but now it's done.

And accordion books continued, heavy emphasis on things Canadian, granddaughter being a proud Albertan. From Calgary, volunteers at Stampede and everything.




I've almost done making the books for now, and they'll be a changing part of the decor.

As will whatever I make from cord and grasses. Always something to make.

Happy day everyone.  Make, don't buy! Except from artisans and local small business. Support Jorts!



 

12 comments:

  1. I am looking right now at a long, long tendril of a house plant that I am quite sure you could make cordage of. I suppose I could too but I won't.
    The last potholder I made, experimentally, is so close to perfect that I am thinking I should make more of them. I have so much thrift store yarn that is perfect for the project and my skills are not good enough for actual knitted garments. But potholders are a necessity, aren't they?
    Thank you for always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should put together a book of how to make all these needful things from what's laying around, you know, for when civilization comes crashing down and we no longer have the world at our fingertips. Also all the ways you use everything. Do you ever even put out trash?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your granddaughter lives in Calgary, does she? I've been to Calgary many times, since it's only 3-4 hours south of here (Edmonton). Great city! I went to Stampede once, maybe 10 years ago. Took in the whole routine -- pancake breakfast, parade, rodeo, chuckwagon races.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do put out trash, Ellen, but not a lot. Mainly it's up cycling and recycling. And shopping in the closet. And grocery shopping in the freezer!

    Mary go with the pot holders they're vital!
    Also face cloths if you have cotton yarn.

    Debra, yes that sounds familiar, especially the pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful accordion book with iconic Canadian vistas. Seeing your efforts to garner lavender made me think of the absolutely stunning plant we drove by yesterday. The thing was absolutely huge and would, I suspect, yield lots of fodder for string making. Unfortunately I don't know the people and don't dare snag any. Besides, I'm allergic and it wouldn't end well. Just wanted you to know that at least I thought about you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so interesting to see where your creativity takes you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an active mind, always seeking out something new. I need to be like you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your plant looks like what we called reeds. I confused reeds and rushes when i looked up this website that i thought you might enjoy. (This one is rush, but reeds are used for matting too.) http://www.waveneyrush.co.uk/About-Us.php
    You might feel like your wings are vlipped but you are still achieving 2 days worth in every one. I aspire to be so motivated. Xxx F & Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the encouragement as well as the useful information. A full service comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for a notebook cover. You are so talented. You make me feel tired!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love every one of the accordion books. Thanks for putting them out. And making them, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My tomato plants are just in bloom. Those plants are weeks ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!