Friday, July 8, 2022

Friday and all's well

Yesterday I did a hake bake. Hake has a nice flaky texture, and not a lot of flavor, so you can add to it.

Here a bed of scallions, plenty of za'atar and some salt. This made enough for several meals, and yesterday I made roasted fries with it.



It's less than half the cost of salmon, a big point around here.

Then while the stove was hot, a batch of buttermilk biscuits with walnuts and golden raisins

And the weather was fine for reading a Hamish Macbeth mystery out on the deck, and a bit of painting. There may have been a nap in there somewhere, too. 






And a hot biscuit with tea.

Misfits later today. All good, hoping for the same for you. Happy day everyone.



10 comments:

  1. Those biscuits look like a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very peaceful.
    Biscuits for breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hear the town crier (or the sentry) in the "Friday and all's well". I don't ever remember seeing hake in our grocery stores here but will have to check and see. I wonder if it's a regional thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a lovely summer day. Your deck is beautiful. The painting has happy energy.
    Milk crate table, a kitchen counter place might have a reasonably price piece/remnant. Careful with ceramic tile, it can crack easily (like mine did).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such an inspiration with your cooking. I never had children and my New Orleans born husband was a fabulous cook, so I really need to push myself to cook. Now I will google Hake, don't know if it can be found here or what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a lovely day. My turn to come up with dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hake is a white fish, fairly thin slices. I can't get any fish around here that I like other than salmon. I like cold salt water fish such as cod, hake, halibut, mackerel,herring. The last two you can get canned or pickled but not fresh. So I order my fish from misfits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have bought hake once. I haven't seen it again. It has a nice texture, and yes, not much flavor. Yours looks really good, and those biscuits! I hear you on cost, I'm tightening spending. It looks like a peaceful retreat on your deck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband made biscuits today too. Sadly ours were plain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like fish, but can't find it prepared. I may try from a restaurant.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!