Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Cordage, up cycling and pop tarts

Remember a while back,  I cut down a couple of rarely worn t-shirt dresses to use as summer tops with added attractions? I've been wearing them in the heatwave. Cool, loose fitting but not clumsy .

The pink one I decided to leave plain, but here's the blue one with a vintage applique.


I painted this directly on a white tee years ago, the tee wore out, I cut off the painted section, making dusters of the rest of it, added it to a bag, handles eventually wore out, cut it off, into scrap bag.  Now it's resurrected here.

And yesterday I made yet another accordion book, from Inuit artworks.





This collection is easy to rotate so there's always something new and interesting to see from the sofa.

And I was in the mood for junk food, after a struggle to play tenor recorder yesterday,  Just trying to recall the fingering of the C instrument, gah. Tenor and soprano are C, alto, bass and sopranino are F. 

The F seems more natural, and I easily find myself playing tenor with wrong fingering. In a group, this would be disastrous, because it would be all wrong notes. so it's important to keep it straight even solo with no listeners, and yesterday this seemed harder than usual. Rusty!
 
So, after doing my poor best,  I made pop tarts. Jack Monroe's, to be exact, if you want to find the recipe.online..

It's buttery pastry pockets, jam inserted, iced with confectioners sugar.  I used some of the plum sauce as jam.





You don't toast these like the shop bought ones, because they're tender and buttery. Just a few seconds in the microwave if you like. But they're lovely cold too. 

Heroically , I promised to save some for Handsome Son. They kept up my spirits to come back and fight, I mean play,  again another day..

Then by evening I was going mad, mad, I tell you, with withdrawal from making with my hands.. So I checked out a wonderful Sally Pointer video on the Venus of Brassempouy.






And I just had to make at least a bit of cordage, out of gender and history solidarity. Note the improved skill level. I'm being careful not to overdo, so I,  heroically again,  refrained from making yards of it.

This ancient artwork deserves the homage, as does Sally's recreation of it for a major museum commission. She has such respect for the skills of paleolithic makers and their ingenuity in using and adapting natural materials. Including using your own body for measurements. She decided on the gauge by using the first joint of her finger. And her handspan to measure the fit of the piece.  

This particular  artwork, carved from mammoth (!) ivory is tiny, just over an inch long, probably broken off a bigger work,  and the carving skill is world class.  Look at that beautiful nose.

So this was an education in itself. An unexpected adventure on an otherwise dull old day. Or as G and S would say, an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative!

Happy day everyone, keep making and getting nourishing art into every day. It's the good fight, I mean play,  against the darkness.

Photo AC 


11 comments:

  1. Speaking of junk food, we stopped at the food truck yesterday. It tasted very good, but we probably shouldn’t do that as there was a bit of a price to pay, albeit a small one, thanks goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the Venus of Brassempouy before, so thanks for the info! Your pop tarts look deelish. I recognize one of those Inuit prints -- the bird with the red tail feathers. It was on a Canadian stamp years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra I thought you'd like that one. she belongs in your pantheon of female stars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry- pop tarts?
    Yes. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I wish the rest of the world could recycle like you do, Boud. You inspire me to do better,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Homemade pop tarts! Whodda thought? You are clever with your reuse and reincarnation of clothing and cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I'll start a new watercolor painting since I don't have glass to work on yet. My turn to provide dinner tonight, have no idea what to make. As usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From hair nets to pop tarts (or vice versa) you did entertain your senses and yourself, with hope for HS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pop tarts look great - I've never thought of making them - I think the boys would like them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, all too well, the feeling of going mad at not being able to be creative. After I spent 8 weeks without being able to see properly after my cataracts were done I was going completely stir crazy. Lucky me not to be 'normal' and be able to see right after the surgery and instead having to wait for full healing before being allowed new glasses. So I feel for you and sincerely hope your shoulder responds to the rest and gets better sooner rather than later.
    Pop tarts and hair nets - always an interesting series of topics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your accordion books, and the applique is excellent. And as for those tarts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!