Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Woodland friends and neighbors

Yesterday I was happy to see my next door neighbor and good friend home after yet another Florida trip, no doubt rehabbing a friend's house. Knowing he's back goes a long way to allaying my concerns about being alone and various health adventures. Having all three of my helpful neighbors either away or about to leave has been part of the anxiety I've been feeling.

I walked early yesterday, before it got too hot, meeting these shy woodland creatures, rabbit studying me at a distance - why do rabbits run away keeping right in front of you instead of dodging off the path?


And this new sighting, probably left by squirrels. I'm guessing some puppy is wondering where his toy went.

Speaking of squirrels moving things around, a while back one of my neighbors was complaining that his collection of miniature gourds decorating his picnic table were being swiped one by one. 

Which explained the gradual appearance of more and more miniature gourds chucked onto my patio. I saw a squirrel carrying one, illustrating it all. l restored the gourds to their rightful owner now I knew who it was, complete with bite marks. The gourds, not the owner.

Yesterday's movie, another big family fantasy, was


Which is the next chapter of the Cheaper by the Dozen family story. This one starts with the college graduation of the youngest. And pays respect to Lilian Gilbreth, who became a widowed mother of twelve at a young age and still pursued an engineering career.

Frank Gilbreth, the father, was a pioneer, for better or worse, of time and motion study, and ran his family more or less along the lines of efficiency theory. 

He didn't really raise them, though, since he died suddenly, when the eldest was still in college, and the family ranged down to very young. His widow raised them and lived to a great age. Tough stuff, that Lilian.

The movie is kind of a musical, breaks into song and dance now and then, but I wonder if they couldn't decide if it was a musical or straight comedy. I'm not a fan of musicals where the plot keeps going on hold while they sing about it. I tend to go put the kettle on when a song starts up. 

In opera it's the other way, the arias being to my mind the whole thing, the plot not so much, and the recitative, the bits where people half talk half sing, too actory for words. 

I'm missing so much being able to knit, but I really need to hold off till my shoulder feels better.  Movies and mysteries on the Kindle are just the ticket, nothing very serious or demanding right now. Hamish Macbeth mysteries, fantasy big families are about where I am this week.




That and drawing with marker.

Happy day everyone. Looking forward to seeing better soon. Like birds flying singly instead of in double formation, and words being legible again, without having to angle them just so. 

Hang in there, Brit blogistas, I hear about the stresses of all kinds you're dealing with, and hope for some relief for you, one way or another. You've got Janie Godley's voiceovers and Josie George's found poetry to help keep you afloat though, fortunately.



16 comments:

  1. That gourd looks like a plastic frog. We puzzled for ages staring at it before moving on to read that it was a gourd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a gourd. It's just the squirrel connection I was referring to. It's a plastic toy of some kind, maybe a squeaky lobster. Perhaps my leaping mind didn't make that clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting squirrel adventures! I didn’t realize they carted off items of interest! Glad the neighbour is home, Boud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relieved to hear your neighbour doesn't have bite marks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL @ Debra, above.

    This whole time I've blamed foxes for carting off Olga's toys. It never occurred to me it could be a squirrel! Given the size of her toys, though, I'm still betting foxes. I wish you had a picture of the squirrel carrying the gourd!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The traveling gourds is funny. It probably won't be long before they're back again. Empty neighbor syndrome is scary. It is a bit of panic when I see the parking lot near empty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny about the squirrels bringing you presents of your neighbor's gourds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always good when your neighbors are close by. I've never had a squirrel bring me something good - usually they just pull plants out or their pots and plant a pecan instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you read the Agatha Raisin series? I have read lots even though they drive me mad as they're so badly written!
    Glad you've got a neighbour on hand again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like the Agatha raisin series at all. In fact I wonder if she jobbed them out to other writers. Hamish, though, has likeable characters and more or less coherent plots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy for you having your good neighbor back in time to be with you through you medical procedure. I'm sure it relieves you anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He won't be with me, my son will. He'll be next door. But I know I have only to ask, for him to help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Squirrels stole the corn from a community garden we used to be associated with. The woman in charge blamed local kids until having followed a trail of debris she realized the stolen vegetable had been carried up an oak tree. Theiving little blighters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Double good fortune as I wished you much the same yesterday. All will be spec-tacular.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When we’re cycling, sometimes squirrels behave like that rabbit, and even birds from time to time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!