Sunday, July 24, 2022

Jerseygirl,A Month in the Country, summerizing

Yesterday another great record for Sydney McLaughlin, the video of her on latest 400 m hurdles has to be seen to be believed  


And she's glamorous, as if athletic brilliance weren't enough.
And this Jerseygirl, armchair athlete, has summerized the sofa from which I can marvel at her grace and speed.


While I assemble an accordion book for the fireplace.


Yesterday's emotional bandwidth for movies wasn't up to this, which I'm going to try again today. 




Wonderful cast, Colin Firth, Kenneth Branagh, Patrick Malahide  it's from a novel I try to get everyone to read

Set in Yorkshire after ww1, it's a short and wonderful novel about a shell shocked young veteran, an art restorer in his civilian life. 

Broke,  he accepts a month long commission to restore a supposed 16th century fresco, whitewashed over in a Yorkshire country church. There's debate over whether there's any fresco there at all. Great metaphor, and his benefactor insists against opposition, it's there to uncover 

It's about recovery and anger and sorrow and redemption, and discovery,  and is  an extended prose poem you need to experience.  

Another lonely indoor day, too hot to walk. Poor me! I think I'll seek out and count some blessings.

Happy day everyone. I hope you have company.




12 comments:

  1. I read that book as a workplace book club recommendation some years ago. We know about the lonely indoor days too hot to even go for a walk. This too will pass. Keep creating. xxx Mr T and F

    ReplyDelete
  2. That accordion book is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn’t realize that those games were on until I saw the headline this morning that the Canadian mens relay set a new world record and defeated the American team, That is a very unusual occurrence. I’m ot sure if that made the headlines down there. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of the movie but never seen it, despite being a big fan of both Colin Firth and Kenneth Branagh. I'll see if I can find it somewhere to watch. If not, I'll resort to reading the book. It sounds very good and with themes I always enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like all my movie choices, it's on YouTube. But read the book anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have finally had a break in the heat and humidity. I plan to mow my weeds. I'll look into that book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is our first incredibly hot day. We walked but suffered. We will stay inside if this continues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, yes, practice caution! Dull as it is to miss a walk, it's better.

    Sandra, before mowing, maybe just loll about outside with a cool drink, enjoying the change..and I'd like your opinion if the book if you track it down.

    Mary, thank you for the nice words. It's the art on the cards that makes it though. It's really pleasing.

    T snd f thanks for the encouragement! Always welcome. Keeps the little donkey going after the carrot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like another interesting movie. You're full of good entertainment tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a movie best watched alone. At least in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I put the book on my list. I like your accordion book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seeking, and counting, blessings is a good exercise. How about making a list of them? Something you could add to at whim and look back upon in down moments.
    Try to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!