Thursday, July 28, 2022

Foraging, flower id needed

Yesterday was about experimenting with fibers. My walking was dominated by searching for likely grasses for weaving.


Also I need a plant id if any blogistas can supply it. This purple flower, found in dampish ground at the edge of a belt of trees




I tried starting a grass coil basket, ran into ineptitude problems, started over several times. 

Grass doesn't seem to wear out with handling, and I eventually realized I don't actually like woven grass baskets. I'd got carried away with Sally Pointer and her lavender basket, because of the new skills I could learn.

So this grass material will become cordage instead, a different experiment.


And the cotton warping yarn I'd been using to try coiling with grass will be retired, in favor of silk thread, very unobtrusive, to make this 


I'm really happy with this start. As I use up cordage, I'll make more. This may be a basket. Or a table mat for a hot dish. Or a coaster! TBD .

It's like when I spun the yarn for that vest of many colors, just spun more when I ran out. No need to know ahead of time how many yards of yarn I'd need.

I was asked several times while I was spinning for the vest,  how I had estimated how much to spin. 

This mindset is the result of patterns and shopping where you stock up on enough ahead of time, as instructed by your pattern, full of dire warnings about dye lots. and being sure to buy enough yarn at one time.

But, when you're making what you need as you go, from your available raw material,  you don't even need to know.  That's a  modern tech-driven assumption. 

The other great point about making cord is that it's a form of spinning and plying. You twist the upper bunch of fibers clockwise, spinning,  bring them down over the lower, which then becomes the top bunch, and that's plying. 

This is how you get a stable cord that won't untwist if you let go. It's spun in one direction, plied in the other, just like spinning knitting yarn. 

And, since you're working with damp fiber, it's the equivalent of setting the twist in wool yarn by soaking it and hanging it to dry. The fiber tightens and stabilizes as it dries. It's a very strong string.

I really love the physical movement of making cordage, and my skills are definitely improving. It's benefiting from my spindle spinning and plying experience, a lot of the same hand movements, but your shoulder gets a rest from the constant piston-like movement of spindle spinning.

So that's us today. Starting Week Three of the eyedrop regime, blessedly down to one drop per day. 

However before this eye is finished with drops, the pre operation schedule for the other eye starts. Then I'll have two charts to use, one per eye. 

I'm already trying to get the drops for the upcoming need. As usual, supply chain issues, out of stock, back ordered, anxiously hoping I'll get them in time.  This is the most stressful bit, really. 

Interestingly the drop rx my doctor subbed for the out of stock one last time is now itself out of stock. This suggests a knock on effect, where increased demand used up supplies of the substitution too. But I started early, so I hope I can get it resolved.

Meanwhile I'm cording in short bursts. And so grateful I can see well enough to cord and stitch.

Happy day everyone. Happiness is a piece of string when you need one. Sounds like Peanuts.





19 comments:

  1. Hey, I ran into those pesky "ineptitude problems" yesterday too, trying to draw a dog in art class. I ended up with one sorry looking mutt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried ordering the eye drops online? I use an online pharmacy for my regular medications and only use the local one for one time scrips though I suppose I could order that as well from the online one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and the little flower is from the nightshade family but I don't know exactly what that one is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, thats what I do too about rx. These are only special rx for this one purpose. I didn't want to ask the doctors to send to my online pharmacy because of having to rely on the postal delivery.

    Thanks for the flower id.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have a bittersweet nightshade there. Quite toxic by the way so maybe best not to handle it too much? The berries it makes contain that most toxin. It is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Mary. Noted. It's very pretty. I expect it's great bird food when it berries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saying: the flowers were incidental, not planned for cordage or general handling. It pays to be careful what you handle, you're right about that, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see others already answered your flower question! I always liked the blossoms, but yeah, apparently poisonous. (And very widespread.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure are keeping yourself occupied during the shoulder healing. I have those plants growing here, they are invasive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The flower looks like Chilean Potato Vine, which is also known as jasmine nightshade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The blooms are Bittersweet Nightshade as Ms. Moon said. Quite toxic but so pretty. I saw it among shrubs and it was difficult to get to. Probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The silk thread seems made for the cordage you are making into a ...... It will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. But... the flowers are beautiful.
    Many warm greetings to you.
    I wish you happy walks through woods and fields. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deadly nightshade!

    I am glad you are so organised with your prescription and drop-dropping. I'm sure I'd get mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not just the blooms that have toxins in them. So do the leaves and stems. And the berries are most toxic of all so hopefully, the birds do NOT eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The berries are toxic to humans and excellent winter forage for birds. So don't worry about the birds. In fact their eating them and pooping the seeds is the reason night shades have proliferated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nightshades abound - a solanum as in fact are potatoes, tomatoes, aubergines..... in NZ we have a native plant that looks like that and were always told 'highly toxic'. My brother told me in recent years that the native population eat the leaves like spinach (but didn't mention whether there was any special preparation required). It is something I have pondered any time I come across a toxic plant that someone has worked out how to turn into nutritious food - who worked it out and how? (And why?) Surely after the first few testers died you would put a red X on that one and teach your offspring to avoid it. Instead some have lengthy multi-step processes. Cassava is one example. Australian Aborigines have one such which was described to me and involved pulping, leaving in a running stream for x number of days, fermentation and cooking and .... and I can't help wonded how they worked out the right order and processes and didn't just give up and eat something else.
    Your string is looking really even after just a couple of days of string making. You clearly have the skills.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for being down to one drop a day!
    As for plant ID I've heard about an app you can get for your phone that will help identify plants. I know nothing about it but those that use it seem happy with it. Maybe you could throw it out there on your blog and someone will know the name of it??

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've tried those apps. they're only as good as the algorithm. The good ones are subscription only and take serious bandwidth. Both impractical for me, with a low end phone and a low end budget. But helpful blogistas usually check and pass on the info.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!