Sunday, July 31, 2022

New foliage for string, flower id again, HS verdict

Early summer mornings are becoming a favorite time, moseying about the patio and outside the fence, Cool wet feet, making discoveries.

This morning i need another plant id, a volunteer since the fencing upturned the soil



My flower books tend to be more useful after I've got a name to look up!

And I had to disentangle vining vegetables from next door which were wrapping around my cherry and spice bushes.  Here they are, sent home


And while I was doing this i noticed faded iris leaves, which will probably make great string





Picked, split, wrapped in a damp cloth inside a plastic bag. 

Eventually, this supply will join my bag o' string doings


Seen here with the current wip.

Yesterday Handsome Son made a quick visit around lunchtime so I set him up a snack of a salad and smoked salmon on pita bread, two quarters of pita, which he tried, said not bad, didn't want the second quarter. I gladly helped home with it. 

He explained it tastes like ham to him, not a fan.  Amazement. He liked the poptart though not wildly enthusiastic, since he's not a junk eater anyway.

As a deli worker he handles lox a lot, keen clientele, and he told me when anyone asks him to cut more than half a  pound, he reminds then of the $30+ pound price, just to avoid sticker shock.

After he left I spent the afternoon on the deck, perfect weather, reading Angela Thirkell and cording and watching a tiger swallowtail on the butterfly bush next door.  No good pix despite a number of tries. 




There may also have been sleeping, and I woke a bit bitten. 

Today might be Sally Pointer day

A field of flax in bloom

Natural dyeing 

And pulling her bronze age leg.

And Emmy van D is always on point


Happy day everyone, pretend to be Boudicca and this time maybe we'll win the Battle of Colchester. Or our current equivalent.



11 comments:

  1. Pretty little wildflower but I have no idea what it is. My grandmother made apricot fried pies, sort of like your pop tarts, only fried not baked though I wonder if they could be baked as well. I haven't made them in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My plant app says you have a butterfly bush there. How nice!
    We have a plant here called "iron plant" and I think the leaves which have dried might make a nice cordage.
    There is no doubt, however, that I will be making any!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not familiar with that plant. I don’t have much success with identifications as a rule. Someone will know it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seeing the faded iris leaves, wish I could send you my gladiolus leaves once they fade. Seems like they would work for your string braiding, too. These glads were planted by the former owner of the house--meaning they are over 30 years old and still producing--but only white flowers now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen, I bet you could bake those pies. Worth a try.

    Mary Moon, if it's a butterfly bush I will be totally thrilled. It's where my old cherry tree used to be, and it will make great shade as well as attract butterflies. Now I'm very hopeful.

    other Mary, you could make gladiolus sry string, too! Why not try it? Mary moon isn't planning to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debra that life is now is so good to remember when we're worried about next week! It's not here yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope it is a butterfly bush! You had a pleasant day on the deck, that's worth a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you ever encounter yucca, it is an original in the string twining business. Their leaves shed strands for twining without crushing to extract.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No help with plant ID I'm afraid, but like others I'm hopeful for a butterfly bush.
    $30 lb for meat - wow!! One wonders if that's going to become the norm for most meats before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lox is smoked salmon. It's always been high end.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!